Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

netgear router f*kin useless

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2006, 11:46 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default netgear router f*kin useless

Im ready to sling this bloody router, ever since we had it, it will allways on powering up find everbody elses in the area apart from our own... then when it does decide to connect it wont keep the connection, despite being 6 inches away from the lappy!!!

it wont portshare despite what the websites say it can do.

all in all at the moment a pretty crappy bit of kit, anyone else had these problems with it???

or got any sure fixes in laymans term that can be applied

Mart
Old 27 May 2006, 09:58 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Don't know what portshare is but I have a Netgear wireless router and my lappy finds it all around the house no problem and keeps the link to it. I run the odd game server here from time to time and port forwarding seems to work ok. The only thing I can't seem to get it to do is forward a port to a different port number on the internal network
Old 27 May 2006, 10:13 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Im ready to sling this bloody router, ever since we had it, it will allways on powering up find everbody elses in the area apart from our own... then when it does decide to connect it wont keep the connection, despite being 6 inches away from the lappy!!!

it wont portshare despite what the websites say it can do.

all in all at the moment a pretty crappy bit of kit, anyone else had these problems with it???

or got any sure fixes in laymans term that can be applied

Mart
Sounds like then you need to change the Channel in the router. It appears that everyone else you pick up on are using the same channel number. Or if you have other wireless devices around the house such as cordless phones, can be using the same channel as you're router.
Old 27 May 2006, 11:02 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Absolutely agree with jpor on that...

You might want to check and see if it is running on Auto108 (assuming it's the 834 model) - if it is, change it to B&G and set a channel.

Keep trying different ones until you find one that works.
Old 27 May 2006, 11:23 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

lost me on that last bit

ive tried everything, but all i get is tcp test failed,

i,m not a happy bunny at the mo

Mart
Old 27 May 2006, 12:58 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

still struggeling,

went to my isp and then gave me a pereffered and secondary DNS address, so i entered them in both the router settings, and the network card settings,

i still get an unable to connect tcp error, i get a download from emule, but its bytes as opposed to kb...

prehaps i should make clear, im not interested in the lappy accessing emule, its the desktop main pc i use it on, this is hardwired via an lan cable to the router

would this be any different

Mart
Old 27 May 2006, 01:08 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

still struggeling,

went to my isp and then gave me a pereffered and secondary DNS address, so i entered them in both the router settings, and the network card settings,

i still get an unable to connect tcp error, i get a download from emule, but its bytes as opposed to kb...

prehaps i should make clear, im not interested in the lappy accessing emule, its the desktop main pc i use it on, this is hardwired via an lan cable to the router

would this be any different

Mart
Yes. As the channel is for the wireless connectivity side.

Have you tried disabling the windows XP firewall on the network card?

Trending Topics

Old 27 May 2006, 01:15 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

check what channel all the other wireless networks in your area are using. You should be able to right click -> properties on the other networks your laptop finds.

The connect your laptop to the router with the supplied network cable, login to the settings area and change the channel of your netgear to one nobody else is using. save the settings and then you should be able to connect.

I have installed litterly hundreds of the netgear dg834 and WGT624 and I have not had a single break down or problem with these in the past 3 years and almost all of them are left on 24hrs a day!.

Persevere as the netgear is one of the easier routers on the market to configure. thats why I install them!
Old 27 May 2006, 01:18 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mykp
check what channel all the other wireless networks in your area are using. You should be able to right click -> properties on the other networks your laptop finds.

The connect your laptop to the router with the supplied network cable, login to the settings area and change the channel of your netgear to one nobody else is using. save the settings and then you should be able to connect.

I have installed litterly hundreds of the netgear dg834 and WGT624 and I have not had a single break down or problem with these in the past 3 years and almost all of them are left on 24hrs a day!.

Persevere as the netgear is one of the easier routers on the market to configure. thats why I install them!
well come and do this little fcker then

Mart
Old 27 May 2006, 01:20 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

ill come back to you with all the settings, and see if you can make head nor tail of it

mart
Old 27 May 2006, 01:36 PM
Squarepusher
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem with my netgear wireless router.

Are you running Windows XP?

If so do a search for the following file 'WinsockxpFix.exe'

If you can't find it I can email it to you.

Once i had updated the drivers and run this little patch it works like a dream.

If your not using win xp try looking for the netgear forum and post a message up there, they may be able to help.

Cheers

Sq.
Old 27 May 2006, 10:06 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Squarepusher
I had a similar problem with my netgear wireless router.

Are you running Windows XP?

If so do a search for the following file 'WinsockxpFix.exe'

If you can't find it I can email it to you.

Once i had updated the drivers and run this little patch it works like a dream.

If your not using win xp try looking for the netgear forum and post a message up there, they may be able to help.

Cheers

Sq.

many thanks for this file..................not.

It totally wiped out my router, and its ability to make any connections!!!!!

ive spent the last 4 hours trying to reinstall the pile of junk, thats a netgear router,

its going to get smacked with a hammer, its a pile of sh*t

ive tryied every combination of ip address dns server firewall tweak rubbing lucky rabbits foots, and reinstalling it with the most stupid archaiic piece of installation software ever , netgear take note your installation cd sucks!!!!!

Im back on a broadband dial up connection at the mo, thats how bad it is.

if everyone reckons its that easy, how come no one can give me the correct settings???

mart (seriously p*ssed off)
Old 27 May 2006, 10:26 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

1st off which model is it?

Secondly, reset the router back to its factory default. This is done by sticking a paper clip in the little hole on the back until all the lights flash then it reboots.

Forget the installation CD you dont need it.

Next connect your laptop to the router with the blue cable provided! forget wireless for the moment.

then goto start -> control panel -> network connections

Make sure they you have a network connection you should have an active local area connection.

If this is disabled, ie grey, then right click on it and select enable.

Right now to setup the router, fire up internet explorer and in the url bar type:

then click go.

you should get the netgear login.
username is admin
password is password
this only applies on default settings.

you should get a web page like setup system

when you have logged in then you need to run the wizard

it should ask you if you wish to detect the type of connection, click yes.

once done enter you BT/Tiscali/AOL username and passwords

click on apply to save the settings. and then clikc test to see if they work. if they work it should say so in a pop up window.

Okay now to setup the wireless.

Goto the menu and select wireless and give your network and name and then select a region (This is important), select a channel, mine is set to 7 and then set a mode, g and b, if you want security then click WPA-PSK and enter a password.

Click apply and the router should reboot.

Unplug the cable between the router and the PC and then try to connect to your wireless network. you will be asked for the password you enterede in the router.

once entered you should be connected to the wireless network.

If the wireless is shown and you still cant connect then checge the channel in the router.

My laptop wireless software gives me the ability to see which channels are in use. This might be handy if your neighbours have wireless and are using the same channel as you.

If this doesnt work then i'll come round and help you smash it to bits
Old 27 May 2006, 10:52 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

Would also flash the firmware as this can make a big difference with these.
Old 27 May 2006, 11:19 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

ive managed to get it set up again,

points learnt.

netgears installation cd is useless, as is what scant support document comes with the router.

The indian help desk at tiscali were more use than netgears offerings!!!

i finally sussed there was more to the reset button than just pressing it!! although some documentation would have been helpfull!!!!

is there a reflash available?? its the DG834G V2??

now ive got to get the port sharing sorted for the main pc, the lappy is just for surfing and emails (wifeys)

I changed the blue cable for a new one just in case, funny how it connected after doing that

Mart
Old 28 May 2006, 04:56 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Well i let it run for the night, and all seems ok speeds are where they should be... now to address the lappy,

few issues here to resolve,

1) what encription should i use?? not clear on this one..

2) names for networks, GRR dosent help that someone in the vacinity has the same router and calls it netgear, which means it get spotted all the time, as a viable connect..

3) re the above router, when i turn on the lappy, it always shows the above router (not ours btw) as alive and kicking.... yet we have to do repeated refreshes to find our network. How can we get this other network ignored, and only ours showing up??

4) changing wireless channels, how do i do this exactly?? and how do i find out what the other f*cker is transmittings on??

5) icons, when we were using bb(dial up) o had a little icon that would show traffic both ways, and connections speed and data rates, i could instantly see if the connection had been dropped etc, i dont have this now, is there any utilty out there tyhat does this??? the one on the lappy is useless, it says connected, but thats all, i want to see data flowing, as it can say connected, but bugger all happens

almost there

mart
Old 28 May 2006, 05:51 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

the latest firmware is here:-

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834Gv2.asp
Old 28 May 2006, 11:31 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

1) what encription should i use?? not clear on this one..

WPA/PSK

2) names for networks, GRR dosent help that someone in the vacinity has the same router and calls it netgear, which means it get spotted all the time, as a viable connect..

NAME/SSID = Whatever you want it to be, but make sure you enter it on the wireless card setting on the laptop as well ! exactly the same !

3) re the above router, when i turn on the lappy, it always shows the above router (not ours btw) as alive and kicking.... yet we have to do repeated refreshes to find our network. How can we get this other network ignored, and only ours showing up??

changing the SSID may help with this one, but if it doesnt change the channel the router uses, then reboot the router and laptop after changing it

4) changing wireless channels, how do i do this exactly?? and how do i find out what the other f*cker is transmittings on??

go to wireless settings on the router, 3rd box down is the channel number, if its on 11 change it to a lower number, ie 1 or 2 save it and restart the router and laptop

5) icons, when we were using bb(dial up) o had a little icon that would show traffic both ways, and connections speed and data rates, i could instantly see if the connection had been dropped etc, i dont have this now, is there any utilty out there tyhat does this??? the one on the lappy is useless, it says connected, but thats all, i want to see data flowing, as it can say connected, but bugger all happens

in the router config page, go to Router Status on the left hand side, then click on stats at the bottom of the new page that appears, it should show traffic in and out

almost there

mart
Hope that helps !