Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MAC address filtering

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2006, 08:57 AM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MAC address filtering

Hi,

I have MAC address filtering switched on, on my Netgear wifi router. Will that affect ANY PCs attached to the router, whether by wifi or by cable?

I've connected a second PC to my router by ethernet cable, but I can't get out to the internet.
I can connect okay via wireless on my other PC.

Just looking for confirmation that it's the likely cause of the problem...I can't check until I get home tonight.
Thanks.
Old 25 May 2006, 08:59 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

MAC address filtering only allows certain network cards to connect to the router, this normally applies only to wireless connections but not on all. The reason for MAC filtering is to help unwanted people using your internet connection. Not sure if on the netgears it applies to both types or just wireless clients but someone else should confirm this

typing ipconfig /all in a dos prompt will give you your MAC (physical address) of the network card. Be sure to identify the correct one as your computers may have a couple, one for wireless and one for the wired card
Old 25 May 2006, 08:59 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shawa
Hi,

I have MAC address filtering switched on, on my Netgear wifi router. Will that affect ANY PCs attached to the router, whether by wifi or by cable?

I've connected a second PC to my router by ethernet cable, but I can't get out to the internet.
I can connect okay via wireless on my other PC.

Just looking for confirmation that it's the likely cause of the problem...I can't check until I get home tonight.
Thanks.
Did you make a note of the MAC addresses of each network card, on each PC before you switched on the filtering?

If you didn't then chances are that this is the cause.

When you enable MAC filtering then normally you put in 'Granted' MAC addresses to allow for connection.
Old 25 May 2006, 09:55 AM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the responses. I know how to set it up, but I just wasn't sure if it also applied to 'wired' connections to the router.

I did an ipconfig /all last night and it didn't pick up the router, so I reckon the MAC address filtering is probably the cause. Just wanted confirmation.

I made a note of the new PC's MAC address, so I'll add it tonight and re-test.
Old 25 May 2006, 10:16 AM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shawa
Thanks for the responses. I know how to set it up, but I just wasn't sure if it also applied to 'wired' connections to the router.

I did an ipconfig /all last night and it didn't pick up the router, so I reckon the MAC address filtering is probably the cause. Just wanted confirmation.

I made a note of the new PC's MAC address, so I'll add it tonight and re-test.
I should have made it clear in my first posting, that I'm adding a second PC to an existing wireless network (but configuring it by a wired connection).
Old 25 May 2006, 01:36 PM
AVZ
Scooby Regular

Mac Address filtering will effect Wired and Wireless.
Old 25 May 2006, 02:30 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AVZ
Mac Address filtering will effect Wired and Wireless.
Can be dependent on which router. D-link for example only have MAC Filtering for the wireless part only, on their 604 + model.

Trending Topics

Old 25 May 2006, 04:37 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpor
Can be dependent on which router. D-link for example only have MAC Filtering for the wireless part only, on their 604 + model.

My Netgear DG834GT also has it only on the wireless bit. Look which menu it is under.

Can the PC see the other machine(s)? I would guess the issue is either a) the firewall, or b) an incorrect network setting somewhere.

M