Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Got my PSP, now what ??

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2006, 09:50 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Got my PSP, now what ??

I just received my Sony PSP today (the one with the 1.5 version firmware) so if anyone can point me in the direction of some decent sites and some homebrew code I'd appreciate it. Also what games would you all recommend - I've pre-ordered the new Gran Turismo but is there anything to keep me busy in the meantime ??
Old 11 May 2006, 10:31 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Note that the new GT will require you to upgrade your firmware to the latest version in order to play it, (or so I've heard), which will instantly stop you from being able to play any homebrew stuff...
Old 11 May 2006, 10:35 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
I just received my Sony PSP today (the one with the 1.5 version firmware) so if anyone can point me in the direction of some decent sites and some homebrew code I'd appreciate it. Also what games would you all recommend - I've pre-ordered the new Gran Turismo but is there anything to keep me busy in the meantime ??
A couple of sites to get you going:

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/pspvideo9.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlaySta...table_homebrew

http://files.pspupdates.qj.net/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi

Oh don't forget to register you're PSP at:

www.yourpsp.com

And you will get a free UMD holder.

Also bare in mind that a lot of games that are coming out now require you're firmware to be upgraded to around version 2.6, which will limit you using homebrew. And will also mean you will be stuck with firmware 2.6 as there is no going back when you upgrade. For this reason I have 2 PSP's. Which one has ver. 1.5 and the other is now on Ver. 2.7. Anything above version 2.0 firmware allows you to do extra things, such as surfing the web etc...
Old 11 May 2006, 11:04 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Gaah I knew there's be some drawback to getting the one with the earlier firmware !! I take it theres no easy way of switching back and forth between 1.5 and the newer one then ? Are there many games that insist I run the latest firmware other than GT ?
I've got a load of old MAME ROMS so a MAME emulator would be handy, but there seems to be a few different types ...
Anyway cheers for the links, I'll do a bit more digging
Old 11 May 2006, 11:42 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
I take it theres no easy way of switching back and forth between 1.5 and the newer one then ?
No. You can however upgrade to version 2.0 and then get something to downgrade back to 1.5. But anything over 2.0 will mean you're stuck with that firmware level.

Originally Posted by MJW
Are there many games that insist I run the latest firmware other than GT ?
I recently bought Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast. And before you even start the game it insisted I needed to upgrade my firmware from 2.5 to 2.6 before playing.

I have recently upgraded to ver. 2.7 as Sony keep bringing out small changes. For example 2.7 now allows you to surf websites that use Macromedia Flash.

This may also help:

http://forevergeek.com/psp/play_firm..._a_150_psp.php
Old 11 May 2006, 12:00 PM
D-an-W
Scooby Regular

http://www.ps2nfo.com/

Is a very good & upto date site...
Old 11 May 2006, 01:14 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Cheers for the links. Trouble is now I daredn't load up a UMD disc - do newer games automatically install the firmware (thus overwriting my 1.5) without giving you any choice ?
Old 11 May 2006, 01:50 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
Cheers for the links. Trouble is now I daredn't load up a UMD disc - do newer games automatically install the firmware (thus overwriting my 1.5) without giving you any choice ?
Nope. When you load the game up. A screen appears telling you that in order to play the game you need to perform the upgrade. At this stage you get a choice of pressing 'X' to continue or 'O' to back out. Besides to upgrade in some cases you have to have the PSU connected up and switched on before it will let you proceed with the upgrade.

Also bare in mind that you will also have issues playing UMD films on ver 1.5. As I got a copy of Transformers the movie when I bought mine last year. The unit was on frimware 2.0 at the time, and the film played. But since downgrading to 1.5 the film will not play until I upgrade back to at least ver. 2.0.
Old 11 May 2006, 11:10 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I probably won't be using UMD films, I can just convert a DVD into a Divx and run them off the memory stick, don't see the point in buying different format films.
I'd be really interested in getting MAME working though, but there's a million different versions - does anyone know of one that'll work ?
Old 11 May 2006, 11:17 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, bit like yourself have a newly purchased 1.5 firmware psp that I am currantly gathering the neccesary info required to transfer some iso`s I have on disc onto the 2 GB memory card that I have here.

just wonder if anyone can advise me off any game / loader that works without a n original disc inserted in the actual psp ??

have the games just not the " necessary " disc - is this a problem ??!!

best off luck anyway mate with your psp sure you will find more than enough info required on both here and the many many psp forums on the net.
Old 12 May 2006, 08:34 AM
D-an-W
Scooby Regular

DAX ZISO is shaping up to be a really nice AIO Loader, the ISO's can also be compressed with DAX Creator to save precious space on your Memory Stick (2Gb here )
Old 12 May 2006, 09:43 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Is there any way to rip an ISO from the UMD in the PSP using the USB cable ? I've downloaded DAXZISO v.0.55 which looks like it could be a handy gadget, but I'd like to be able to back up my games
Old 12 May 2006, 09:58 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
Is there any way to rip an ISO from the UMD in the PSP using the USB cable ? I've downloaded DAXZISO v.0.55 which looks like it could be a handy gadget, but I'd like to be able to back up my games
From what I read on the internet last night,you have to dump the contents of the umd to the memorystick and then you can transfer it to a PC to work on...
I'm gonna have a look at dumping my Pro Evo Soccer (Original UMD) and get it onto memorystick as it's REALLY slow to load etc etc from UMD (As all games are)

Can somebody else confirm that there is NO commentary in the original game?

Cheers
Old 12 May 2006, 10:18 AM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Nope, no commentary at all.
Old 12 May 2006, 11:55 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Originally Posted by NickAdams
Can somebody else confirm that there is NO commentary in the original game?
Yep no commentary - it really does spoil the game
Old 14 May 2006, 06:28 AM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

i bought worms and upgraded .dohh its only a matter of time for all the tricks

hacks for the new version to come out ...played it about 6 times ..............
Old 14 May 2006, 03:47 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

From what I've read if you use firmware v.2.7 then you're buggered for running third party apps as there's no way round it. There's ways around 2.6 now.
I found a little utility that kids the PSP into thinking it v.2.0 installed when really its still running 1.5 though I think for the more recent games I need to kid into thinking its running an even higher version.
I managed to get MAME working but its limited to what ROMS I can use with it, and I havent managed to get any ISOs working at all, even ones converted and loaded with DAXZ.
There's such a wealth of info out there on this little console and some of its a bit confusing and techy. I havent even bothered playing my only UMD game on it yet (Wipeout) too busy fiddling with the other stuff !
Old 14 May 2006, 07:34 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Managed to get both the N64 (Monkey 64) and Amiga Emulators to work (UAE.041). But find they run a little too slow. The AMIGA one was just about playable. Will have a go with the others when I get hold of them.
Old 14 May 2006, 09:10 PM
D-an-W
Scooby Regular

MJW, DAXZISO is the best loader out there atm, if you want a hand to set it up let me know...

EDIT: It has been updated to 0.61 now, sleep mode working on games now and several bugs fixed

Last edited by D-an-W; 15 May 2006 at 07:19 AM.
Old 16 May 2006, 08:27 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I've managed to set the loader up ok, its just getting ISOs to load that's the problem ! I'm guessing that maybe some of the ISOs I have are designed for use on a higher version firmware
Old 17 May 2006, 06:24 AM
D-an-W
Scooby Regular

Any specifc ones your could mention?
Old 24 May 2006, 03:05 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

anyone know where I can get the SNES ROM's for the PSP, from?
Old 24 May 2006, 03:13 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Hmmm the version of DAXZISO im currently running is 0.55, does anyone have a link for the latest version ?
Old 24 May 2006, 11:27 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
Hmmm the version of DAXZISO im currently running is 0.55, does anyone have a link for the latest version ?
I think 0.62 beta is the latest available from here
Old 25 May 2006, 02:34 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Been having a play with my firmware 1.5 PSP. There's some nice homebrew about. Been playing PSPDOOM and KETM v 0.8 (1941 clone) as of late. Makes me wonder if this GP2x I have ordred is going to be a waste of money.
Old 25 May 2006, 04:06 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Makes me wonder if this GP2x I have ordred is going to be a waste of money.
I doubt it. There's far more homebrew stuff available for the gp2x, and it's not throttled by Sony either. I'm going to be using my psp for commercial stuff, and the gp2x for everything else. If it ever arrives of course
Old 25 May 2006, 04:16 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I doubt it. There's far more homebrew stuff available for the gp2x, and it's not throttled by Sony either. I'm going to be using my psp for commercial stuff, and the gp2x for everything else. If it ever arrives of course
Thanks for the words of wisdom.