Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS3

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2006, 04:15 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS3

Anyone else reckon that there's absolutely no chance of Sony getting the PS3 to market by November?
Old 28 April 2006, 04:22 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

What makes you say that ? They can't really afford to let the date slip now.
Old 28 April 2006, 04:34 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

all I can say is it MUST be better than the 360 now with all the delay's and bull fully rendered so called ingame shots. If not then the backlash will be huge.

Even at this rate some analysts say it will be 2010 before Sony catch up in sales.
Old 28 April 2006, 04:42 PM
TimWRX01
Scooby Regular

I'll probably just get a Wii instead.
Old 28 April 2006, 05:15 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
What makes you say that ? They can't really afford to let the date slip now.
Well, this time last year there was loads of info available about the 360. We'd seen genuine in-game footage, you could actually play a real life console if you were at the right trade shows etc. etc.

Sony appear to have gone very, very quiet. If they don't release pricing and package details at E3 then I'd say they're in big trouble and won't make a 2006 launch. All IMHO, of course.
Old 28 April 2006, 05:23 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Absolutely, I'd also expect to see something more concrete from Sony at E3.
Old 28 April 2006, 05:41 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I'll probably get a Weeeee, sorry, Wii to tide me over

Strangely, for someone that likes games, I don't miss not having a 360 at all. Maybe growing up is finally hitting me
Old 29 April 2006, 09:18 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Maybe its all part of their grand plan, companies these days seem to use 'viral' marketing to spread the word and they are creating lots of anticipation. They are still the dominant player in the market, they still sell bucket loads of PS2s and the PS2 has always outsold the xbox by a significant margin but agreed they need to get things moving.
Old 29 April 2006, 09:39 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I sure hope they release it this year otherwise I may get gaming apathy again and not bother with the PS3 either

What we need now is a 4th player to come into the market completely out the blue and surprise Sony, MS and Nintendo and make them realise their complacency. I know these things take time to get to market, but maybe they should have just kept their gob shut earlier and start leaking the information when it was almost ready.

Steve (still suckered into buying a PS3 for ONE game )
Old 29 April 2006, 10:54 AM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

November 2006 possible in Japan.
Spring 2007 rest of the word.
That's what I think will happen.
Old 29 April 2006, 11:16 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Well, this time last year there was loads of info available about the 360. We'd seen genuine in-game footage, you could actually play a real life console if you were at the right trade shows etc. etc.
No you couldn't - you would have been playing on the Apple Mac hidden underneath it...

Also the PS2 managed to sell out, what 4 1/2 years after launch? You couldn't get hold of them when GT4 came out...

Last edited by messiah; 29 April 2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 29 April 2006, 12:41 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
No you couldn't - you would have been playing on the Apple Mac hidden underneath it...
But you could see the game code running. The hardware it was running on is not relevent, especially as the360 hardware was actually more powerful than the mac being used to run the code. If it looked good on the mac, it was always going to look good on the 360.

Also the PS2 managed to sell out, what 4 1/2 years after launch? You couldn't get hold of them when GT4 came out...
That just demonstrates the power of marketing, hype, and the Sony fanboys Personally, I thought GT4 was a big disappointment. I played it for a bit and was bored with it within a few days. I've not found a single game on the PS2 that has tempted me to buy it since God of War last summer. I can't say that any of the currently announced PS3 launch games interest me either.

Hopefully we should know the pricing and release titles after E3, and then we can form a better opinion as to whether it's worth getting one or not. At the moment I'm not interested, and I'm a sucker for a new gadget!!
Old 29 April 2006, 01:02 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

You'll cant blame last years shortages on the Fanboys - what kind of fanboy doesnt buy a PS2 until over 4 years after launch

I'll be getting a PS3 - the amount of headaches my 360 has given me have really left me with a bitter taste in my mouth - its only the clan games on GRAW that have stopped it being ebay'ed by now...
Old 29 April 2006, 01:11 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Fair enough. I've had problems with my 360 as well, but it hasn't stopped me from wanting to use it. It's just come back from MS after getting the 3 red lights, but it only took them about 4 days to sort it out. Just a shame I lost all my save data (and I was up to level 17 on Oblivion - back down to level 2 now).

I've used the 360 much more than I've used any other console I've owned. It's great (when it's working )
Old 29 April 2006, 09:58 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

And what hardware have Sony been running their demos on?

I'm not slagging Sony (I'm a PS and PS2 owner) but come on, they are never going to make a November 2006 launch in Japan or on Mars.
Old 30 April 2006, 11:00 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I have faith...

I would have thought the demo's have been running on the dev kits - although I've no idea what that MGS4 demo was running on but it was rather impressive.

IIRC the PS2 was launched in Japan in March, and a finished console was only unveiled a month before - that'll be why they were so hard to get hold of, so they've still got plenty of time but I dont think we'll get the worldwide release as promised, it'd be great but I dont see it coming off - and I be its Europe that has to wait that little bit longer. But I still reckon we'll get it before Christmas...
Old 01 May 2006, 10:40 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I would have thought the demo's have been running on the dev kits
Mac G5's is what I heard