Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

UK PS3's to have inferior backward's compatiblity compared to US and Japan

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2007, 10:40 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK PS3's to have inferior backward's compatiblity compared to US and Japan

Euro PS3 to play fewer old games

Some PS2 games will play on PS3 after downloading updates
The European version of Sony's PlayStation 3 (PS3) console will not play as many old games as American and Japanese models, Sony has announced.
Gamers who already own PlayStation 2 (PS2) and PlayStation (PS) games may find they will not work on the long-awaited, new console.

The European PS3 has a different design to the Japanese and American consoles, which went on sale in November.

The PS3 is due to go sale in Europe on 23 March.

The console was supposed to be "backwards compatible", meaning all older PS and PS2 games should work on the new console.

But the European PS3 utilises a new combination of hardware and software emulation in which software takes over some of the functionality that was previously taken care of by dedicated chips.

This means that while European gamers will be able to play a wide range of original PlayStation titles on the PS3, there will be a limited number of PS2 games that will be compatible with the new console.

Downloadable updates

"Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3," Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) said in a statement.

Some additional PS2 games will become compatible on the PS3 through firmware updates made available for download on the PlayStation website.

The first such update is scheduled to be released on 23 March, the same day as PS3 is launched in Europe.

European gamers will have to wait until then to find out what PS2 games will run on the PS3, as Sony intends to announce which games are compatible on launch day.

"We're disappointed not to be able to deliver what we originally aspired to, which was full backwards compatibility," a Sony spokesman told the BBC News website.

"It's changing on an almost daily basis as to how many games will be supported," said David Wilson of SCEE, but there will be regular firmware updates."

Japanese PS3 consoles also faced compatibility issues following last year's launch, with Sony acknowledging audio and graphics problems with some older titles.

Around one million PS3 units will be made available for the European launch at a price of £425 (599 euros) per console.
BBC NEWS | Technology | Euro PS3 to play fewer old games

Way to go Sony.

6 months later and now we have to pay more for less.

It's also very suspicious that they won't be releasing the list of compatible games until lauch day.

Last edited by rik1471; 27 February 2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 27 February 2007, 10:52 AM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

Not good, I held out for a UK PS3 so I could play all my old PS2 games (my PS2 is dead). Should've just got an import, no difference in price now.
Old 27 February 2007, 11:05 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-r...aunch-ifo.html

Sony are a laughing stock.
Old 27 February 2007, 11:06 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JayPSC
Not good, I held out for a UK PS3 so I could play all my old PS2 games (my PS2 is dead). Should've just got an import, no difference in price now.
I think the games are region locked, so an import wouldn't be able to play UK games.
Old 27 February 2007, 11:23 AM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

The same games are more expensive here than in the US, and the console costs more. Europe screwed over yet again, for no apparent reason!
Old 27 February 2007, 12:10 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cottonfoo
The same games are more expensive here than in the US, and the console costs more. Europe screwed over yet again, for no apparent reason!
Because mugs still pay it. supply and demand. simple.
Old 27 February 2007, 12:23 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Because mugs still pay it. supply and demand. simple.
More like a captive market. If you want to play the game, you have to pay the price...
Old 27 February 2007, 12:24 PM
Andy T
Scooby Regular

Location: Northampton Xbox360 Tag - GTMonkeyboy Project-Stealth Wagon WIP

Used to be dedicated Sony Playstation fan, was wary of this new console, what was it called "xbox" or summin.

Mate got one, I called him a **** for wasting his money.

Now would'nt touch a new Playstation on launch day, wait for all the bugs to be ironed out and the price to plumit.

Did play a PS3 the other day thou, RidgeRacer8 or whatever the demo running, what a pile of ****, looked good - but you cant polish a turd thou.
Ridge Racer was good 10years ago, this was the worst driving game ive played in years. Time will tell come launch day.
Old 27 February 2007, 12:59 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
More like a captive market. If you want to play the game, you have to pay the price...
You don't have to do anything. Fact is people will buy the console at that price and pay the price for the games. why would Sony drop them then? Game prices are a joke.
Old 27 February 2007, 01:11 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

They ought to as a good will measure. It's not just games, US companies selling IT hardware here sell it at a much higher price than they do in the US, for no other reason than greed, and things should be even cheaper what with the US Lire, but it isn't Greedy basts. Look at Vista pricing between here and the US, it's a joke.
Old 27 February 2007, 01:35 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
You don't have to do anything. Fact is people will buy the console at that price and pay the price for the games. why would Sony drop them then? Game prices are a joke.
Not really. Games these days cost a great deal of money to develop, especially on the "next-gen" platforms where demand for every more complex content is constantly increasing. The development cycle for a decent game these days (not EA sequels) can be several years. Assuming you get a reasonable amount of gameplay out of a particular game they are still fantastic value for money when compared to going to the cinema, buying dvds, or going down the pub for example.

For example, you pay £40 for a game and get 20 hours of gameplay out of it. This equates to £2 an hour. For other games where there are more hours of gameplay available, this becomes even more apparent. For example, Oblivion took me just over 100 hours to complete. So, that works out at somewhere around 40p an hour.

Doesn't sound expensive to me...

Last edited by Iain Young; 27 February 2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 27 February 2007, 02:09 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Not really. Games these days cost a great deal of money to develop, especially on the "next-gen" platforms where demand for every more complex content is constantly increasing. The development cycle for a decent game these days (not EA sequels) can be several years. Assuming you get a reasonable amount of gameplay out of a particular game they are still fantastic value for money when compared to going to the cinema, buying dvds, or going down the pub for example.

For example, you pay £40 for a game and get 20 hours of gameplay out of it. This equates to £2 an hour. For other games where there are more hours of gameplay available, this becomes even more apparent. For example, Oblivion took me just over 100 hours to complete. So, that works out at somewhere around 40p an hour.

I totally agree. £40 for a game is good value in my eyes.
Old 27 February 2007, 03:46 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

" The original PS3 used the Emotion Engine/Graphics Synthesiser to emulate PS2 titles. With the latest European specification we have removed the Emotion Engine, retaining the graphics chip. This has an impact on the number of PS2 titles that will be backwards compatible."

So, Sony have actually removed the "emotion engine" chip from the euro version of PS3. Perhaps they're confident their software emulator will do a good job. To be honest, and considering they've retained the PS2's graphics chip, with something as powerful as PS3 there shouldn't be any reason it couldn't be done in software. Either that or they're desperate to cut costs.
Old 27 February 2007, 04:15 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'm sure it will be done with software over time as per the 360 but they admit that on launch the Uk machine will be inferior to the US and Jap machines. Not to mention the delay. it's just how Sony view this market.
Old 28 February 2007, 03:56 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you play Morrowind on the xbox took me 400 hours to complete everything(cost £60 as i had a US machine) noe that was value for money
Old 02 March 2007, 10:53 AM
DanPhillips
Scooby Regular

Default Rumble back

Sony and Immersion sign new rumble agreement // GamesIndustry.biz

At least rumble will be back...soonish

Cheers

Dan
Old 02 March 2007, 11:16 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

So Sony have finally kissed and made up with Immersion Why they didn't settle out of court like MS did is beyond me.
Old 02 March 2007, 11:34 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

arrogance
Old 02 March 2007, 12:43 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

I thought Sony said that rumble wouldn't work with their tilt controllers and that it was "last-gen".

Get ready for a patented Sony about turn.
Old 03 March 2007, 12:41 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

So will any of you just go and buy a US PS3 and then buy all your games from the US too?

Sounds to me like that is the sensible option now.
Old 18 March 2007, 09:32 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

A local emporium near me still has 5 preorders available ..

me... i,m really undecided...

at the mo, there are too many negatives in the equation.....

1) The price..

2) The removal of the PS2 hardware chip, (why), and the lack of info on backwards compatible / PS2 playable games until launch day...

3) The way it locks out when using the web..

4) The fact that i dont really justify the use any more, i use the PC more at the mo...

Positives...

1) wifi out of the box

2) 60GB hard drive

3) Blu ray player

Strange to say, (hardware reliability issues aside) that the 360 may be a viable alternative, there are only a couple of games i can see myself playing ... forbidden planet & oblivion.....

will have to wait and see i suppose

Mart
Old 19 March 2007, 01:55 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Does anyone reckon there will be a 'xbox 360' supply and demand mayhem for the PS3?
For the price it's advertised at (most will only do it as a bundle) surely it'll price a lot of people out of the market?
Old 19 March 2007, 01:59 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Its looking like supply will outweigh demand until the price drops. Strictly fanboys only to begin with.
Old 19 March 2007, 02:53 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

No eBay profit in this one then? (might cancel my preorder!! )
Old 19 March 2007, 02:59 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I doubt it. Loads of people seem to have preordered with the same idea, but are now backing out
Old 19 March 2007, 03:26 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Having been reading up on various threads (been on hols for a week - so many posts!) I'm thinking I might cancel mine as well. The only thing I really like the look of (that's exclusive to the PS3) is Motorstorm but I certainly don't want to be lumbered with a black box as big as the original Xbox with Spiderman font written all over it
Old 20 March 2007, 02:19 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by cottonfoo
We get screwed over mate, 'cause as far as the manufacturers are concerned Europe is pocket change next to the US and Japanese markets!!

I think Sony have 'dropped the ball' with the PS3

Ns04
Old 20 March 2007, 02:21 PM
DanPhillips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
We get screwed over mate, 'cause as far as the manufacturers are concerned Europe is pocket change next to the US and Japanese markets!!

I think Sony have 'dropped the ball' with the PS3

Ns04
Not for Sony, European market was the biggest of the 3 for PS2.

Compatibility list is live apparently

PLAYSTATION®3

Cheers

Dan
Old 20 March 2007, 02:27 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Having been reading up on various threads (been on hols for a week - so many posts!) I'm thinking I might cancel mine as well. The only thing I really like the look of (that's exclusive to the PS3) is Motorstorm but I certainly don't want to be lumbered with a black box as big as the original Xbox with Spiderman font written all over it
I don't get Motorstorm - it looks like an obscure PC game similar to an ATV racing thing. Graphically it looks like PC graphics too.