Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Router/ old computer

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2006, 09:16 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Router/ old computer

Hope someone can help as i keep drawing blanks at pcworld

my sister has a 5 or so year old computer which has Tesco broadband connected via USB
i sold her my Linkseys router with a laptop but the router only has phoneline sockets so how do i connect the broadband modem to the router?
she has a Linkseys network card for the laptop so thats sorted it's just the modem?

cheers
Old 25 April 2006, 09:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you say the router has only phoneline sockets, do you mean ethernet sockets? If so then you can't connect the USB modem to the router.

Is she replacing the old computer with the new one? If so she could simply plug the modem into the new computer.

I'm kinda guessing both machines need internet access, or, the laptop is to be wireless. In either case you'd probably want an ethernet broadband modem, this would allow you to use ethernet cables to connect the modem to the router and then the old computer to the router, and the laptop would be wirelessly connected to the router (bit of guesswork here on my part with regards to the setup)
Old 25 April 2006, 10:38 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Markus

at the moment the broadband is connected as

BB modem - computer (usb)

the router only has ethernet (sorry i did say bt earlier) sockets, the laptop has a Linkseys network card for wireless connection to router.

what she needs is

BB modem - to router (usb to enet cable?), router to computer (enet to usb)

guess if there's no way of connecting she'll have to get a new computer?
Old 27 April 2006, 12:33 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds to me like the router doesn't have an ADSL modem in it, so you'll need one of those to connect the router to the phone line.

It would be just as easy to go to somewhere like PC world, and buy a new router that has wireless and the ADSL modem built in.

If there's no network socket on the PC, buy either a network card or a USB wireless dongle to plug into the PC.

HTH.

John.