Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Software application errors

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2006, 08:23 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Software application errors

I have recently encountered errors when trying to launch some of my applications. Some of which I hardly use.
I had a problem with AutoCAD launching which came up with Fatal Error and crashed back out. I fixed this using Tune-up Utiliies which found dodgey files in my registry. Once I removed these the program ran fine.

Now I am getting various other messages popping up with other applications. Such as the following:-
AolNySEV has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
The above pops up after logging into AOL internet. This is not too concerning as the program continues to run after I have OK'd the error. Would be good to get rid of it though if anyone knows how?

CDPROCMN.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
This pops up whilst trying to download pictures of either my phone of camera. Have tried re-loading the software but this has made no difference.

If anyone can help with the above before I think about re-formatting my hard disk I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Nick
Old 19 April 2006, 08:39 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Sounds like an issue with either of the following:

Have you ran chkdsk recently to check for issues on the hard disk?

RAM module playing up causing slight data corruption.

First try running chkdsk to see if anything needs fixing.

Also download a RAM checking tool. Place onto a bootable floppy disk/CD and reboot the PC with said disk/disc and let it check for signs of RAM problems.
Old 19 April 2006, 09:00 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I thought Chkdsk was a DOS based program. How do I launch this from Windows?
I'm using XP by the way.

Thanks

Nick
Old 19 April 2006, 09:32 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoobidude
I thought Chkdsk was a DOS based program. How do I launch this from Windows?
I'm using XP by the way.

Thanks

Nick
Nope.

When Windows 95,98 and ME was launched this became Scandisk.

But because XP is part of the NT family they stayed as chkdsk.

Simple enough one of two ways to run this:

1).. Click start , then click run, type chkdsk c: and press return. You will then get a message telling you that it cannot do it now, but do you which to schedule this in on the next reboot. If you do then when you next reboot the scandisk screen will come up and chkdsk the drive.

2).. Double Left click 'My Computer', right click the drive (I.e C: drive), select properties, click the 'Tools' tab and then select the chkdsk option. Again you will get the speil about cannot performing this now, but can be done after the reboot.

Last edited by jpor; 19 April 2006 at 09:35 PM.
Old 22 April 2006, 06:25 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I've still not solved the original problems. I ran Chkdsk. Had no message about needing to re-boot - it just carried out the task straight away! Not sure what it did but it just completed and displayed no summary report.
I've now noticed that I cannot transfer information to/from my phone, MP3 player nor camera as I get errors saying "bla blah has encountered a problem and will need to close". so I have wiped the phone and camera software. I'm reluctant to remove the mp3 software as I do not know where all my music is stored. Yes, it sounds daft but it seems to be in a hidden directory somewhere.
The worst thing is my DVD and CD drives have suddenly disappeared so I can't even back up my photos and music before I re-format.
Any suggestions before I throw this bloody machine out of the window!

thanks

Nick - I foookin hate bested viruses!!

PS I have ran Ad-aware and Tuneup Utilities.

Last edited by skoobidude; 22 April 2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 23 April 2006, 12:37 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I ran Chkdsk. Had no message about needing to re-boot - it just carried out the task straight away!
You need to type
chkdsk c: /X
It will ask you if you want to check the disk after a reboot, and select yes. Restart Xp, and as it is booting it will also do a disk check of all the protected system areas of the disc. If it finds any problems, they will be entered into the system log.

I've now noticed that I cannot transfer information to/from my phone, MP3 player nor camera as I get errors saying "bla blah has encountered a problem and will need to close". so I have wiped the phone and camera software. I'm reluctant to remove the mp3 software as I do not know where all my music is stored. Yes, it sounds daft but it seems to be in a hidden directory somewhere.
The worst thing is my DVD and CD drives have suddenly disappeared so I can't even back up my photos and music before I re-format.
Sounds a bit more terminal than just a software problem. Did you try downloading and running a RAM checker as jpor suggested?
Old 23 April 2006, 10:53 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

I've still not solved the original problems. I ran Chkdsk. Had no message about needing to re-boot - it just carried out the task straight away! Not sure what it did but it just completed and displayed no summary report.

thanks

Nick - I foookin hate bested viruses!!

PS I have ran Ad-aware and Tuneup Utilities.
This is sounding more like a RAM issue. Something similar happened to me a few years back.

Try this one:

http://www.memtest86.com/