Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

IT Placements

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2006, 07:07 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IT Placements

Hey all.

I know there a lot of computing bods on here and was wondering if anyone could do me a favour or at least point me in the right direction.

Here's the boring part first. I have been in IT for about three years now and have pushed myself really hard to try and get out of desktop support into a third line role. I have been out of work for about three months now and the brick wall I keep running into is a lack of experience.

People don't seem to appreciate drive and determination any more. They expect IT candidates to have all the skills but want to take a crappy wage. I am highly motivated but can't seem to get someone to give that break hence the post.

I am looking for two things really.

1) Someone to help me get a placement working with servers and in a third line role to gain some experience. I live in Middlesex and am quite close to Heathrow. I will work for peanuts but will obviously be looking for something in a more permanent form. I will require some flexibility for working hours so that I can go on interviews etc.

2) Could someone please have a look at my CV. I have been told that it is very good but I really want to know if it is aimed at the type of work I am applying for. You can find it here:

http://www.geocities.com/etalkar/cv.doc

Any other general advice would be appreciated ie where to look, techniques etc. Not wanting to blow my own horn but I normally do quite well in interviews and in technical tests. People just compare me to people with 10 years plus experience and I don't stand a chance.

Anyway, sorry for the moan. Good to get it off my chest though.

Look forward to the replies!
Old 24 March 2006, 08:18 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Do you want honest?

I read that and immediately said "Desktop Support"

then I said "what does this guy DO apart from work?"

Then I said "God what a messy CV"

Okay. The CV is upside down.

Your name, age, address and the like go at the top

Your qualifications come next.

Your career path is next

Then you list your skill set. You need to give quick examples of success stories you have at this point.

Asperations (sp?) can be listed next and for Gawds sake LIST SOME HOBBIES!

I'm a Server Support Team Leader and I see these kind of CV's - yours would be passed to the Desktop Support Manager for consideration - to be honest HE'D want you. With that CV I wouldn't.

I know I'm being harsh and I apologise but I figure tell you straight and get it sorted...
A line like "creation and deletion of user accounts using Active directory" this MAKES people see you as Desktop Support guy. That's not 3rd line stuff.

If you were able to say "devised standard GPO templates incorporating security, profile and Mailbox integration with Exchange 2003 within a multi-domain forest THEN I'd be thinking "hmmmm.... 3rd line" (yeah I know - that line really was complete BS but I'm knackered... I had to write a 40 page report on why an AD domain run by another company was a pile of pants and what we need to do to fix it)

Can you see what I'm getting at here? You need to big up your skills - and make them sound more 3rd lin. You also need to struture that CV - it really would put me off reading it.
Old 24 March 2006, 09:31 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the honest opinion. That I what I am looking for. I would much rather have some honest feedback and then completely revamp my CV than keep being approached by agencies asking me to do desktop support.

I used to have my hobbies on there but was advised to take them off. I do actually have a life outside work though I know this isn't reflected on my CV.

The problem I have is that I am very good at second line but I want to progress into third line. That is why I left my last job and am asking these questions now. I learn quickly but need to be shown how to do build a SAN (for example).

Thanks for the advice though. I will have to do some rework over the weekend. I refuse point blank to lie or BS my way through. I have seen it to many times and would much rather be honest about my abilities and my keeness then make stuff up.

Where there any other parts of my CV apart from the Active Directory part that made me stand out as a second line guy?

Any other comments anyone?

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Do you want honest?

I read that and immediately said "Desktop Support"

then I said "what does this guy DO apart from work?"

Then I said "God what a messy CV"

Okay. The CV is upside down.

Your name, age, address and the like go at the top

Your qualifications come next.

Your career path is next

Then you list your skill set. You need to give quick examples of success stories you have at this point.

Asperations (sp?) can be listed next and for Gawds sake LIST SOME HOBBIES!

I'm a Server Support Team Leader and I see these kind of CV's - yours would be passed to the Desktop Support Manager for consideration - to be honest HE'D want you. With that CV I wouldn't.

I know I'm being harsh and I apologise but I figure tell you straight and get it sorted...
A line like "creation and deletion of user accounts using Active directory" this MAKES people see you as Desktop Support guy. That's not 3rd line stuff.

If you were able to say "devised standard GPO templates incorporating security, profile and Mailbox integration with Exchange 2003 within a multi-domain forest THEN I'd be thinking "hmmmm.... 3rd line" (yeah I know - that line really was complete BS but I'm knackered... I had to write a 40 page report on why an AD domain run by another company was a pile of pants and what we need to do to fix it)

Can you see what I'm getting at here? You need to big up your skills - and make them sound more 3rd lin. You also need to struture that CV - it really would put me off reading it.
Old 24 March 2006, 10:01 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HomerJunior
Hey all.

I know there a lot of computing bods on here and was wondering if anyone could do me a favour or at least point me in the right direction.

Here's the boring part first. I have been in IT for about three years now and have pushed myself really hard to try and get out of desktop support into a third line role. I have been out of work for about three months now and the brick wall I keep running into is a lack of experience.

People don't seem to appreciate drive and determination any more. They expect IT candidates to have all the skills but want to take a crappy wage. I am highly motivated but can't seem to get someone to give that break hence the post.

I am looking for two things really.

1) Someone to help me get a placement working with servers and in a third line role to gain some experience. I live in Middlesex and am quite close to Heathrow. I will work for peanuts but will obviously be looking for something in a more permanent form. I will require some flexibility for working hours so that I can go on interviews etc.

2) Could someone please have a look at my CV. I have been told that it is very good but I really want to know if it is aimed at the type of work I am applying for. You can find it here:

http://www.geocities.com/etalkar/cv.doc

Any other general advice would be appreciated ie where to look, techniques etc. Not wanting to blow my own horn but I normally do quite well in interviews and in technical tests. People just compare me to people with 10 years plus experience and I don't stand a chance.

Anyway, sorry for the moan. Good to get it off my chest though.

Look forward to the replies!

LOL. Just had a brief look at your CV.

You live down the road from me!! I live in West Drayton too.

Wow. really is a small world after all.
Old 24 March 2006, 10:03 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

You weren't at the MSOC meet on Thursday were you? I was the Asian guy with the silver classic Impreza.
Old 24 March 2006, 10:32 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

OK, I have redone my CV. What do you tihkn now?

http://www.geocities.com/etalkar/cv_2.doc
Old 25 March 2006, 09:12 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

It's not a matter of BS... more of 'focus'

I'll fire off a few examples for you:

"Providing desktop support for hardware and software such as laptop’s, desktop’s, printer’s and multifunction devices."

You used the word DESKTOP in describing your last job. Put something like "Provided 2nd Line support for...."

"Global Remote Access Training (GRAS), Wireless Training and Cisco IPT Training for new staff at all levels."

TRAINING!!! You trained people... big this up. Put something like "provided support training for desktop support personnel and customers in:"

"Installing and Upgrading a Print Server, Outlook Web Access Server and an ISA Server from Windows NT to Windows 2000/2003 Server"

You've installed OWA an ISA? and this just got mentioned in the middle of everything else? Errrr..... Did you create web-publishing rules? Did you actually publish a publicly accessible web-site with all the usual security checks yada yada? THAT is 3rd line stuff and you just slipped it in quietly - that WILL be missed by a prospective employer.

"Setting up construction sites with IT facilities including WAN access over ADSL using VPN (Cisco 837 Routers), file and print server installation as well as LAN’s. "

Doesn't read well to me... something like: Implemented WAN access to remote sites using Cisco VPN Tunnels. Also installed LAN's at each site providing file, print and remote web access (or some such)

Can you see how the focus changes from: I did this and this and this and this

To: LOOK I am able to work for myself! I can work on my own. I can implement new LAN's and WAN's. I know about VPN, ISA, an other 3rd line stuff.

I'm only showing examples here, but I hope you get the idea of what I'm trying to say.

Better looking CV by the way!

Oh, lose VirusScan 7 and EPO 3 - change them to VirusScan Enterprise and EPO (the latest versions are Vscan Ent 8 and EPO 3.6 so it makes you sound out of date)

Last edited by Kieran_Burns; 25 March 2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 25 March 2006, 09:19 AM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Thank you! Excellent advice! I will have to start paying you for CV advice!

Some really good tips and good to get advice from someone who could be a potential employer. I will have to have another good hard look at my CV and give it another go.

Looks like I have a busy day ahead!

It's not a matter of BS... more of 'focus'

I'll fire off a few examples for you:

"Providing desktop support for hardware and software such as laptop’s, desktop’s, printer’s and multifunction devices."

You used the word DESKTOP in describing your last job. Put something like "Provided 2nd Line support for...."

"Global Remote Access Training (GRAS), Wireless Training and Cisco IPT Training for new staff at all levels."

TRAINING!!! You trained people... big this up. Put something like "provided support training for desktop support personnel and customers in:"

"Installing and Upgrading a Print Server, Outlook Web Access Server and an ISA Server from Windows NT to Windows 2000/2003 Server"

You've installed OWA an ISA? and this just got mentioned in the middle of everything else? Errrr..... Did you create web-publishing rules? Did you actually publish a publicly accessible web-site with all the usual security checks yada yada? THAT is 3rd line stuff and you just slipped it in quietly - that WILL be missed by a prospective employer.

"Setting up construction sites with IT facilities including WAN access over ADSL using VPN (Cisco 837 Routers), file and print server installation as well as LAN’s. "

Doesn't read well to me... something like: Implemented WAN access to remote sites using Cisco VPN Tunnels. Also installed LAN's at each site providing file, print and remote web access (or some such)

Can you see how the focus changes from: I did this and this and this and this

To: LOOK I am able to work for myself! I can work on my own. I can implement new LAN's and WAN's. I know about VPN, ISA, an other 3rd line stuff.

I'm only showing examples here, but I hope you get the idea of what I'm trying to say.

Better looking CV by the way!

Oh, lose VirusScan 7 and EPO 3 - change them to VirusScan Enterprise and EPO (the latest versions are Vscan Ent 8 and EPO 3.6 so it makes you sound out of date)
Old 25 March 2006, 09:28 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Happy to help mate Incidentally - recently promoted to Team Leader FROM 3rd line support / projects and I've seen ALL the CV's of people applying for my old job so I know what pitfalls appear in them AND what the management wanted to see...

We ALL basically went through them to see who would suit and the number that were dropped simply due to a poor CV...
Old 25 March 2006, 03:27 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Once again, thanks for all the help and if I might be so bold as to ask you opinion one last time (I hope! )

http://www.geocities.com/etalkar/cv_3.doc

Thanks again!

Happy to help mate Incidentally - recently promoted to Team Leader FROM 3rd line support / projects and I've seen ALL the CV's of people applying for my old job so I know what pitfalls appear in them AND what the management wanted to see...

We ALL basically went through them to see who would suit and the number that were dropped simply due to a poor CV...
Old 25 March 2006, 04:45 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Hi HJ. Don't take these comments personally, I'm just cutting to the chase so you can act should you wish to. My comments would be that your CV is too task oriented at too low a level - task after task after task. Unfortunately, it's going to put the reader to sleep. Summarise more and write some parts in a narrative style rather than a list. And very little attention has been paid to soft skills. Wanting to get into 3rd line support, you need to emphasise your problem solving skills, creativity, relationship management etc. Hope this helps.
Old 25 March 2006, 04:53 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Hey, I won't take anything personally. If I did I wouldn't even post my CV up. Just after some good honest feedback like yours.

Definitely see your point. I am concious of sending the reader to sleep. It is hard to balance what the potentail employer needs to see and listing my soft skills. I think my skills come across well at an interview. I guess the CV is to get the opportunity to meet people.

My references and my covering letter definitely boost my soft skills but you are right. Maybe there should be more in there.

Keep 'em coming!

Originally Posted by swtmerce
Hi HJ. Don't take these comments personally, I'm just cutting to the chase so you can act should you wish to. My comments would be that your CV is too task oriented at too low a level - task after task after task. Unfortunately, it's going to put the reader to sleep. Summarise more and write some parts in a narrative style rather than a list. And very little attention has been paid to soft skills. Wanting to get into 3rd line support, you need to emphasise your problem solving skills, creativity, relationship management etc. Hope this helps.
Old 26 March 2006, 05:49 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

OK, due to the last comments I have made a few chages to make it less of a

Here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/etalkar/cv_4.doc

I have made the font size bigger so there is less on the page and put a bit more in about how great I am!

It is still a little "task orientated" but I think it is better than it was so let me know your thoughts.

By the way, thanks to everyone who has helped so far!
Old 27 March 2006, 07:39 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Definitely looking better, but you better proof read it again...

"I respect authority and am an extremely local team member" LOCAL team member? I guess you meant LOYAL

I read that one all the way through this time I'd ask you in for an interview
Old 27 March 2006, 08:18 AM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Excellent! I did proof read it but obviously meant that little doozy! Thanks for all your help and taking the time to have a look through it again.

I will post it on all the job sites and let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Definitely looking better, but you better proof read it again...

"I respect authority and am an extremely local team member" LOCAL team member? I guess you meant LOYAL

I read that one all the way through this time I'd ask you in for an interview
Old 30 March 2006, 07:29 AM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

I just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone. I hopefully start my new job on Monday (subject to contract!) I actually got it using my old CV but thanks for everyone's help anyway.

I am most grateful!