Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help Please? My PC is Failing / Failed

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2006, 10:57 AM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please? My PC is Failing / Failed

Hi all,

I have a home built PC that is a few years old now, I only use it for office applications and the internet; so it's not hi-spec; AMD 1700+ processor on a VIA motherboard, 512RAM, 2x HDD, CDRW, DVDROM, GForce4 graphics card(?), OS Windows XP pro. But since I moved house has failed on a regular basis.

The symptoms are either the whole lot freezes, or; more recently, the screen will go blank (No Signal) but the machine will stay on. I've left it for 20min or so to see if it (the screen) comes back on, but no joy. I then have to switch off or reset, each has much the same effect, and I end up with the machine not booting and coming up with a corrupt file message in the windows/system/system32 folder. I've tried repair console, without any luck, and end up reinstalling the operating system.

I thought it might be the HDD, so I've changed that. I'm now thinking it might be the PSU or Motherboard? any ideas on which I should try first?
Old 07 March 2006, 12:54 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Have you tried removing and re-seating the RAM and graphics card etc.? Maybe unplugging and re-plugging the drives too?

Something may have become a bit loose during the move...
Old 07 March 2006, 10:39 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rioja
Hi all,

I have a home built PC that is a few years old now, I only use it for office applications and the internet; so it's not hi-spec; AMD 1700+ processor on a VIA motherboard, 512RAM, 2x HDD, CDRW, DVDROM, GForce4 graphics card(?), OS Windows XP pro. But since I moved house has failed on a regular basis.

The symptoms are either the whole lot freezes, or; more recently, the screen will go blank (No Signal) but the machine will stay on. I've left it for 20min or so to see if it (the screen) comes back on, but no joy. I then have to switch off or reset, each has much the same effect, and I end up with the machine not booting and coming up with a corrupt file message in the windows/system/system32 folder. I've tried repair console, without any luck, and end up reinstalling the operating system.

I thought it might be the HDD, so I've changed that. I'm now thinking it might be the PSU or Motherboard? any ideas on which I should try first?
Have you checked for failing fans? I.e the one on the Graphics card or CPU heatsink.
Old 07 March 2006, 11:10 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

The symptoms sound similar to a power supply failing. Download a program called speedfan and see if you have voltage problems (drooping could indicate a dying PSU) or fluctuations (supply from wall socket is dirty or PSU problems). If the case is fluctuations you might be able to get an uninteruptible power supply or something to clean up the power that comes from the wall socket to the PSU (computer).

It could also be that the power in your new house is not "clean" causing these probs (The only way to test that would be with a multimeter I guess??).

Last edited by swaussie; 07 March 2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10 March 2006, 02:16 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, I've removed and replaced various bits and pieces, and the problem persists; I think the next move will be to test the PSU. Thanks for the application reference.

Kev.