Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Hard Drive help (mainly)

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2006, 08:44 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hard Drive help (mainly)

I have a 160 gig hard drive. It has a partition of about 29 gig which is my C drive, the rest is my F drive.

I started downloading the Anarchy Online client last night (800+ meg), and it started it thro Morpheus. Hadn't finished by the time I turned the machine off, but no probs, Morpheus picked it up when I turned the machine back on. However, Morpheus flashed up that a newer version was available so I downloaded it.

Since I did it, my C drive partition now says I have 0 bytes left on it (not true), therefore nothing will download due to no space, and I can't remove any programs thro the Add/Remove in the Control Panel. Doing my head in.

The other problem I have is I went to run a virus check on Symantec's site, but when it tries to scan it says something about my security settings not allowing Active X so it can't scan.

I enabled the Active X the way the Symantec site said to do it (I actually had to change nothing, they were as they should be), but it still won't work. I thought it might be Zone Alarm firewall, but I turned it off and it does the same.

Another thing I just noticed, the "when you send info to the internet, other people might see it. Do you want to continue?" box keeps coming up even tho when it first appeared I ticked the box for it not to come on again (the box is still ticked to be honest but it still flashes up).

Any help appreciated, as I'm starting to lose my rag.

Thanks,

Andy.

Last edited by Walwal; 15 February 2006 at 08:47 PM.
Old 16 February 2006, 10:23 AM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

Have you run scandisk / chkdsk to ensure the disk doesnt have errors on it ? not sure by what you said if your c drive is actually full or not... could empty your temp directory [and for any other users on your machine] if you havent done this for a while to give some more space and/or temporarily move some files / programs to your other partition until you have got more space.
Old 16 February 2006, 07:36 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

The partition table may have become corrupted. I would try a 'chkdsk'.
Old 16 February 2006, 07:44 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys. I did a chkdsk and things are a lot better. The internet pages are now coming up as they should whereas they weren't yesterday.

When I've checked thro the folders in the C drive, it's just possible that it is pretty full, lol. Got an awful lot of rubbish in there (6 gig of downloaded games demos for a start lol).

It's currently doing a disk cleanup as I type this, reckons it can get about 10 gig back . Looks like it might take all night, been on about an hour now and only 1/4 of the bar is filled.

Cheers,

Andy.
Old 16 February 2006, 08:12 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Just as a sideline. I've tried to download and install a couple of utilities, but when I try to install them, it says that C:\WINDOWS\System32\msvbvm60.dll is corrupted.

Any idea's what this is and/or how I can fix it anyone??

Thanks,

Andy
Old 16 February 2006, 08:20 PM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

That file is the Visual Basic 6 Runtime and is needed to run VB applications.

You can download it for free from loads of places Here is one
Old 16 February 2006, 08:22 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jim_B
That file is the Visual Basic 6 Runtime and is needed to run VB applications.

You can download it for free from loads of places Here is one
Excellent. Thanks for that

Andy
Old 17 February 2006, 12:32 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

"treesize" is a usefull freeware bit of kit which will display the size of each directory - very handy when hunting lost space.