Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Setting up a NOC. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2006, 09:37 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up a NOC. Need help

Hi peeps,

I am installing some servers into a NOC after a complete NOC refit (Power/AC/multiple redundant Fibre backbones).

Got a couple of questions. Im currently in the process of racking up the servers into some racks. The servers vary from 1U through 6U and are all in situ in the two racks. Cabling up however is an issue. One rack has all the servers, the other rack has mostly servers, but also some Cisco rack kit and a Copper Gig E switch.

Now the last setup i did had cables all over the place. Whats the best way to install the cat 5 ethernet from one rack to the next.? Ie neat and tidy.?

Also, if I cut the cat5 to exact length and self crimp the cat 5 will they suffer degridation running at 1 Gig speeds ? Is it normal to cut for a good job OR do you have some secret to making the pre cut lengths fit and look tidy.

Thanks

Stu
Old 02 February 2006, 11:46 PM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

Hi Stu,

Have been involved/built a few nocs myself. Regarding cables between racks you should use a patch pannel in each rack and run the rack to rack cables to these then just patch servers/equipment in the rack to these, same with any cable that goes out of one rack to another.

If you have the chance go with cat6 cable and follow usual rules such as try and keep power cables down one side, data up the other, use good quality components etc... as long as you stay within the 100Meter limit you should be fine. Good idea to check all cables end to end with a decent cable tester for peice of mind.

Personaly i like data cables to go above racks and power to go bellow as well, as per any good datacenter.

Plenty of data around on cable standards if you google + a few books

Last edited by unfeasablylargegonads; 02 February 2006 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03 February 2006, 04:32 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You either fit a switch in the top of the rack (or a pair for redundant links)

Or put a patch panel in each cab and cables between, seems overkill but it isnt and makes it a damn sight better.

David
Old 03 February 2006, 04:32 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

ps speak to tony at www.thewestongroup.co.uk
Old 03 February 2006, 09:41 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Hiya Guys.

Thanks for the info. Well we had a merry time today moving servers round to get 2Us at the top the rack to get the gig-e switches at the top. I never really thought about putting the switches at the top (with fibre modules interconnecting). But it does save 20 odd cables crossing round the back of the cab to the fibre fabric/copper interface.
Old 04 February 2006, 12:45 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Job done

What happens if the power fails to that switch though..

Have you got one at the top and one at the bottom, either on seperate ups's or seperate PDU's

David
Old 04 February 2006, 10:17 AM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Wallis
Job done

What happens if the power fails to that switch though..

Have you got one at the top and one at the bottom, either on seperate ups's or seperate PDU's

David
But he should have each service or application running on a server cluster or "rack" configuration split accross multiple racks, PDUs, dual routers running HSRP, tied in to his disaster recovery NOC at another site, with the whole lot connected up to the internet via multihomed BGP and the list goes on and on

Last edited by unfeasablylargegonads; 04 February 2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04 February 2006, 11:00 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I have an answer It wasnt me that spec'd everything, im just the guy that puts all this **** together The power is coming from multiple PDUs, at least I hope it is However yes there is a single point of failure in the router but the cheap people who wanted the stuff installing wouldnt pay for a second switch !

They will when it all goes **** up
Old 04 February 2006, 06:50 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

But he should have each service or application running on a server cluster or "rack" configuration split accross multiple racks, PDUs, dual routers running HSRP, tied in to his disaster recovery NOC at another site, with the whole lot connected up to the internet via multihomed BGP and the list goes on and on
I dream of the day where I can implement some of the stuff I spec as above

David