Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

From support to development

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2006, 11:03 AM
EP82
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From support to development

Hi,

I am just wondering how i should go about making the jump from working in IT support to development?

I have sql, php, mysql skills but am looking to get into VB and .NET, etc. Are there any courses or websites i can start to try and learn the skills necessary to be able to start applying for junior roles?

I really don't want to be stuck in support all of my life, so need to start looking toward to future now.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Tim
Old 31 January 2006, 11:37 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

have you talked to your manager? might be easier to cross train at your current site.
Old 31 January 2006, 11:52 AM
EP82
Scooby Regular

Our system isnt developed in house, i have to support it, and work with the SQL Database it uses but as for developing thats all done by a third party company we work very closely with.
Old 31 January 2006, 11:56 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Try applying to them for a job
Old 31 January 2006, 12:09 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Good luck, my girlfriend started as a Japanese localisation engineer (with a degree is S Eng and Maths), then moved to support, then QA and then development, ended up as senior software engineer contracted out to big mobile company so it can be done.

If you are totally new to a technology I have found Webmonkey to be good as an initial introduction. Try some tutorials....
Old 31 January 2006, 01:07 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I started off in QA and moved over to development a few years ago. Used the QA period to get a good working knowledge of programming techniques and languages by both writing software utilities to help me in my job, and by talking to the developers who were writing the code I was testing. When a dev position appeared in our company, I applied for it, got it, and have been doing it ever since.

From what I've heard, when applying for dev jobs, you almost always need some sort of formal qualifications in the subject, and it definitely helps if you have experience as well. That's why it is much easier to get your foot in the door if you can just move position within the same company, as they already know what your work is like etc...
Old 31 January 2006, 02:32 PM
EP82
Scooby Regular

Is QA and Testing realtivley easy to get into?

What does it involve, etc.

In the meantime i've just found a website with a few tutorials, i'm self taught in PHP so i'll do the same with .net and hopefully land myself a junior role of some sort.
Old 31 January 2006, 02:41 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EP82
Is QA and Testing realtivley easy to get into?
Judging by some of the "experienced" testers I've inetrviewed over the years, I'd say that it's deinitely easier to get into than development

What does it involve, etc.
What testing involves depends greatly on the company you work for and the type of software you are testing. For example, my firm writes development tools (cobol compilers, code analysis tools, mainframe offloading solutions etc). In order to test this stuff you have to do some programming with the tools themselves, and so you learn the techniques fairly quickly.

If you worked for a company that wrote software for vending machines then I guess the scope for learning new stuff would be a lot more limited.

In the meantime i've just found a website with a few tutorials, i'm self taught in PHP so i'll do the same with .net and hopefully land myself a junior role of some sort.
Sounds like a good idea. Be careful that the website tutorials don't teach you bad habits though. Might be a good idea to get yourself a good OO book. That should help teach you good structured programming techniques
Old 31 January 2006, 02:52 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iain Young
J
Might be a good idea to get yourself a good OO book. That should help teach you good structured programming techniques
Well, one technique at least, OO
Old 31 January 2006, 02:54 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Testing can be (and usually is) very boring and repetetive work therefore contractors doing testing can earn very good money - my neighbour is one and he does rake it in, mind you has no social life and is totally motivated by money, it's all he talks about. Sad if you ask me but then I'm a programmer by trade and probably earn 1/3 what he does but I work from home, when I want for who I want...

If you've self taught PHP and can write using classes/methods then the pricicpals are similar, just the syntax changes... As long as you have a good understanding of programming you should be able to learn any new language.
Old 31 January 2006, 03:22 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevencotton
Well, one technique at least, OO
True

Was just thinking that getting information from a well reviewed book might be better than learning from a website which might be teaching all sorts of bad practices...

Originally Posted by RichB
Testing can be (and usually is) very boring and repetetive work therefore contractors doing testing can earn very good money
True. I did this for 5 years before turning over to development. Mine was one of the more interesting testing roles, but it was still pretty mindnumbing at times...

- my neighbour is one and he does rake it in, mind you has no social life and is totally motivated by money, it's all he talks about. Sad if you ask me but then I'm a programmer by trade and probably earn 1/3 what he does but I work from home, when I want for who I want...
On the flip side, I have far less time for a social life since becoming a programmer. Not unusal to be working 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week

If you've self taught PHP and can write using classes/methods then the pricicpals are similar, just the syntax changes... As long as you have a good understanding of programming you should be able to learn any new language.
Which is why I suggested a good OO book. Whilst teaching you (obviously) OO programming techniques, it should also show you how to structure code for easy maintainence and readability. Something you'll come to appreciate when trying to debug stuff that you wrote x years ago
Old 01 February 2006, 12:11 PM
EP82
Scooby Regular

Well i find the easiest way to learn something is come up with a problem and then work towards a solution.

I am going to create a customer database and booking system that can be used in salons, etc.

My g/f rents a room at a salon so i'll have a word with her, see what info they need, etc. Develop it along side their salon and if the woman who owns the salon likes it then we can look at implementing it.

Thanks for the help
Old 01 February 2006, 04:09 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Good call. If you ask me, teaching yourself is better than sitting in a classroom with someone harping on at you for hours on end.
Old 01 February 2006, 04:17 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

As long as you teach yourself well. As Iain pointed out, it's very easy to
teach yourself horrendous practices.
Old 01 February 2006, 05:29 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately the only real way to learn best practices is on the job, from the senior developers in your team - so that will have to come later!
Old 01 February 2006, 05:32 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Not necessarily, practice is good enough, just make sure you follow good
practice. And if every 6 onths (or less) you don't look back on your own code
and wonder if you were smoking crack, then you're not learning
Old 01 February 2006, 05:39 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevencotton
And if every 6 onths (or less) you don't look back on your own code
and wonder if you were smoking crack, then you're not learning
LOL - been there You look at old stuff and go 'well the hell was I thinking!'
Old 01 February 2006, 07:19 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I still do that
Old 01 February 2006, 07:44 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Funny - I look at my code and think 'what the hell am I doing with my life?'... but maybe that's just me