Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Broadband 1mb service limit........

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2006, 03:06 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broadband 1mb service limit........

Hi all,

Although I pay for 2mb, I can only get 1mb, as the BT line is unable to support any faster.....!

I tried to call BT to find out if there was a roll out plan for upgrading the lines/exchange, but they would not tell me!

Is there any way of finding out or requesting? Otherwise I might consider Cable.

Cheers for any help.

Old 01 February 2006, 03:56 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

might be worth looking here

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/availability/btprereg.asp

HTH Nick
Old 01 February 2006, 05:15 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Is it not the case that ADSL speeds are in direct relation to the distance you are from the exchange. Unless they move the exchange you are stuck with what you have line wise.
Old 01 February 2006, 06:01 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GE90
Hi all,

Although I pay for 2mb, I can only get 1mb, as the BT line is unable to support any faster.....!

I tried to call BT to find out if there was a roll out plan for upgrading the lines/exchange, but they would not tell me!

Is there any way of finding out or requesting? Otherwise I might consider Cable.

Cheers for any help.

Mate of mine is in the same boat. It is indeed to do with how far away you are from the BT Exchange. Hopefully BT will be able to rectify this soon.
Old 01 February 2006, 08:46 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

The vast majority of BT exchanges have 2MB capability. The reason you're only getting 1MB is probably because of the quality of your line, but it's not unheard of for BT's database to say you can only get a certain speed even if higher speeds are possible.

If you're using a router you should be able to get some signal to noise ratio and attenuation stats. I can't remember what the cutoffs are for 2MB but look on the adslguide link and you'll find them. Armed with these you may be able to get BT and your ISP to reclassify your line if it's within limits.

Gary.
Old 01 February 2006, 09:04 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I agree, it is probably line quality. With BT's online checker I can only get 1 meg, however I am connected with bulldog (on a bt line) and I get 2mb (download speed on speed test is 237kbs which is good for a 2 meg). In fact if I do an online checker with bulldog, now they say I can only get 1 mb weird eh!
Like Gary says, check the router if you have one for the snr and attenuation, if it is bad you can pay for a new line to be installed (my line is only 5 years old so relatively new).

Alternatively check out bulldog see if they can do an 8mb svs for you. This means having their phone line but it gives you free calls etc. Also try www.bethere.co.uk it is a 24 meg svs that is being rolled out