Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iTunes 6.02 and Spybot!?

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2006, 05:37 PM
j.r-xrs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iTunes 6.02 and Spybot!?

Just run a spybot on my machine having installed the latest version of iTunes from Apple (6.02), the first result it returned was a bot apparently in the "About iTunes.rtf" file.

What's all that about? Is it Apple tracking me or something else installing it's self there, havent deleted it yet...should i?

Thanks in advance.
Old 18 January 2006, 05:57 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Hmm sounds strange, if the file hasnt been renamed then an rtf is just a rich text format file that can be opened in Word or WordPad. If you re worried run up WordPad and open it using that at least if its a renamed doc file with macros WordPad wont do anything with them.

Gary
Old 18 January 2006, 06:35 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

More info here

http://news.com.com/Apple+tweaks+iTu...3-6028085.html

Following a wave of privacy concerns last week, Apple Computer has begun prominently notifying customers about a new recommendation feature in its iTunes software, as well as providing a simpler way to turn it off.

The new feature, a "MiniStore" pane in the software, provides music recommendations to iTunes users based on the songs currently in the software's active playlist. To do so, it sends information about those songs back to Apple, even if the tracks weren't originally purchased from the iTunes Music Store.

The information exchange also includes a string of data linked to an iTunes customer's unique ID number, which is also used for other Apple accounts, such as the .Mac service and the Apple Developer Connection, computer experts found last week. An Apple representative said last week that the company did not store or archive any of the information from this MiniStore recommendation process.

Previously, that information exchange was not disclosed in any user agreement or in the software itself. However, an update posted late Tuesday now prominently adds a notification inside the iTunes software itself when the MiniStore is turned on for the first time.

"As you select items in your library, information about that item is sent to Apple, and the MiniStore will show you related songs or videos," the note says. "Apple does not keep any information related to the contents of your music library."

The change also adds a button to turn off the MiniStore, which does not exchange any information while it is inactive. Previously, the feature could be turned off by going to the menu of commands at the top of the software or by selecting a keyboard command.

The change has satisfied some of the critics who had emerged, even among committed Apple supporters, after the iTunes software release.

"I feel that Apple, in clearly telling users what the iTunes MiniStore does, has met its obligations for informing users," said Kirk McElhearn, an author of several Apple technical books, who helped identify the issue last week. "The fact that they clearly state, in this 'warning', that they do not keep any information about the contents of users' iTunes music libraries is sufficient for me."
Old 18 January 2006, 06:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

When iTunes 6.0.2 is installed the new "mini store" is automatically enabled, which you should see below the list of Artists and Albums. This *does* send info to apple's servers, as it updates to show music store entries based on what you are listening to. I would guess this is what spybot is detecting.

I think Apple does have a knowledge base article about this.
Old 18 January 2006, 06:50 PM
j.r-xrs
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, as I'm not particularly bothered about using the mini store is it ok to tell Spybot to delete it?

And any idea why the bot was detected in the readme?

Cheers
Old 18 January 2006, 09:20 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Why your Spybot is picking up a Rich Text Document (.RTF) I don't know, its just the same as a word file. So don't worry about that.

The ministore sends no information whatsoever when you hide it, and when its enabled it just sends current track information and your user id so you can purchase tracks immediately.

The info is not stored permanently.

Hope that helps.
Old 18 January 2006, 09:44 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

See also...

http://daringfireball.net/2006/01/itunes_ministore
Old 18 January 2006, 10:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Was reading somewhere today that iTunes now asks for permission before the mini-store does anything.
Old 19 January 2006, 12:13 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Was reading somewhere today that iTunes now asks for permission before the mini-store does anything.
Yeah, repeatedly... hence I've uninstalled the s/w.. ???? that.
Old 19 January 2006, 03:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Alex,
Interesting. Just had a peek and all I get is a description of what it would do (it's turned off on my machine) and how to turn it on. Were you getting some pop-up dialog nagging you about it? If so, then very poor show on Apple's part.
Old 19 January 2006, 10:39 PM
oik
BANNED

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html