Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Apple Mac - DVD Player quitting out

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2006, 01:58 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Apple Mac - DVD Player quitting out

I have an old G3 Powerbook (400mhx/320mb/10gb) and I've done a little installing today and now the Apple application DVD Player just crashes out each time I launch it. I have just installed Handbrake for ripping DVD content down, and Flip4Mac to play end export WMV through QT. I've also done some cleaning up, archiving and deleting old stuff. I did throw some stuff out of App.Support, but nothing Apple or DVD related. The drive is OK as it will play DVD's with VLC (albeit jerkilly) and any CD's seem OK. My drive is firmware updated for multi-region running Region-X for switching and this has never been a moments trouble in 3 years. Also, the Handbrake app seemed OK when I first installed it, ripping straight off the first disc I tried, but now it doesn't see any valid files when pointed at the correct items

Any ideas I'm gonna throw out the app in the morning and reinstall from the OS install disc to see if this cures it. Other than that I may use this as the oportunity to move up to Tiger with a clean install, although I have my reservations about my processor being able to cope as it seems near the limit with 10.3.9.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Last edited by corradoboy; 09 January 2006 at 02:00 AM.
Old 09 January 2006, 02:16 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Update :- Did a shut down and left it for 10 minutes and now DVD Player seems fine. Handbrake however still isn't seeing any valid files
Old 09 January 2006, 01:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Might be the drive itself, possibly.

As for going to Tiger, does the machine have built-in firewire? If not then getting Tiger isn't possible, well, not without using something like XPostFacto

As for the processor coping, i've got Tiger running on my 500mhz G3 iMac with 256MB RAM and it's not too bad, however, if 10.3.9 is being a bit slow then 10.4 probably won't be too much better.
Old 09 January 2006, 02:06 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Tiger will run, I have it on my 333mhz PB Lombard. I ain't great though...
I think 10.3.9 was better...
I don't use it for much really, more of a backup machine.

I am not sure about that XPostFacto thingy, it did some weird things to mine, it used to write stuff to the screen whilst booting, like when you do a firmware install, but I've since swapped disks around and now with that disk in a different PB it works normally and seems fine.
Old 09 January 2006, 02:38 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I think Xpost does do something with OF, I did have it installed on one of my dev machines (old Beige G3 Tower) but one of the co-workers nabbed the machine so I can't check.
Old 09 January 2006, 02:47 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help. DVD Player is now working, so it wasn't the drive Haven't tried Handbrake yet today. Must save up for a new Mac though