Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Having Sound problems with your Ipod Photo?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2006, 11:12 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having Sound problems with your Ipod Photo?

Thought I'd share my experience and help out anyone else quietly suffering or putting up..

I've had a few problems with iTunes (as previously posted here) but I've also had an extra problem whereby the sound qulaity of female vocals or piano solo's was badly distorted at the higher frequencies.. I'm not an Audiophile, but I like my music well represented and the sound issues were going to force me to take this thing back and look elsewhere as it was unlistenable.

But not wanting to initially give in and after pulling some hair out researching various forums, it appears the problem is widespread on 4G or 5G iPod Photo models (regardless of HD size).

To cut a very long story short it appears the Eq (equalizer setting) and the headphone impedance are affecting the sound qulaity... The buds packaged with the devices are 32 Ohm and it appears that anything less (my In Ear Sony MDR-EX70'S @16 Ohm) distort the output amplifier.. This distortion is heightened by having the Eq software running.. Turning off the Eq cancels a lot out, but some distortion remains..

I've now removed this distortion by re-ripping and compressing my music in the following way.. before someone debates my sanity for going through these motions, I believe the quality warrants it
  • Used Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to rip in 320 kBits/s MP3 (freeware & considered the premier ripping software)
  • Compressed/Encoded using Lame 3.96.1
  • Copy straight to the device using iTunes.
  • Ensure the Eq setting is OFF on the device as the copying process appears to go through this function.
The sound quality has improved no end and now betters other MP3's I've heard.

If you've had no problems then I envy you, but I'm pleased I defeated the little ****....
Old 04 January 2006, 01:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Alan,
During your researching into this problem, was there any mention of it occuring on non photo G4 iPods? Just asking as I have a 40GB 4th Gen, and am curious to see if i'd have the problem, can't say I've noticed it though.
Old 04 January 2006, 02:39 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Markus. Apprantly not.

It seems that the dual use of the headphone socket as a TV out is the main cause of the problems. Apple rushed the device out without too much development in this area, thus causing a lot of ill feeling as Apple have always prided them selves on qulaity products. Now somewhat tarnished.

If you don't have movie device that doesn't use the dual socket for both headphoenes and AV (not sure if earlier verions have two sockets?) then you're OK.

As an aside, it doesn't affect docked devices as the base connector is unaffected by the EQ/Headphone Impedance/dual use issues.