Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows progams running on a Mac

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2006, 11:32 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows progams running on a Mac

Looking at a new computer soon, probably my first mac, but the software I mainlky use is windows based that doesnt have a Mac alternative (AutoCAD).

how good are the "Virtual PC" programs?

And any word on when the Intel Macs are due? (may buy the monitor before hand and wit for the G5 (or is G6?))
Old 04 January 2006, 12:51 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

If the rumours are to be believed then sometime this month for the Laptops and maybe iMacs. Not sure if the lappy will be the iBook or PowerBook or both.

Towers will alegedly be late 06.

Who knows...

Good time to buy a second hand one though...
Apple's refurb store is open alot these days! Trying to get rid of all the Powerbooks with iffy HD screens that everyone is complaining about.

discussions.apple.com is good for a read.
Old 04 January 2006, 01:56 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've only used VPC on my G4, and it works ok, but it's not the quickest thing, but then my G4 is only 466mhz albeit with 1GB RAM. I'm told that VPC on the G5's is pretty quick and should do the job fairly well.

As for the Intel Macs, well, Steve mentioned they'd be released in 2006, and most of us (the developer community) thought that would mean mid to late 2006, ie; the next World Wide Developers Conferece, which is where they were announced last year. Thus giving us a lot of time to recode for Intel (Despite what Steve says, it's not a cake walk, espeically what with what our software does)

Anyway, rumors are abound that the first release of intel macs will happen next week at the Mac Expo. As to what they'll be, well, one of the reasons for going to Intel is to have a first class laptop solution, the desktop G5's could compete with PC equivelents, but the laptops were outclassed, and a G5 powerbook was a fair time away. Thus, most tend to say that we'll see Powerbooks and possibly Mac Mini's using Intel hardware first.

NDA's prevent me from saying too much about the DTK (Developer Transition Kits - in other words, the Intel based mac) but I've played with it and I'm rather impressed, if the release machines have a similar spec we'll all be happy, if it's a higher spec, and I think it might well be, we will be very happy indeed. Mac Mini with possibly the power of a Dual G5 (not the dual core model though)

Bottom line, wait until next week and see what, if anything, is actually announced at the Expo.
Old 04 January 2006, 03:29 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

I run VPC occassionally on a G4 and its useable for everyday sort of stuff but for writing software and what you want to use it for, CAD I dont think its upto the job, you will need oodles of memory and even then it will only be adequate.

Gary