Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wirelss Internet Problem

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2005, 06:28 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wirelss Internet Problem

I have just put in a Netgear wireless internet on to my computer.
After sacking netgears software because it could not see the connection windows on its own had an exelent signal from the router.

I typed 192.168.0.1 into my browser inputed the password and username and set up my internet conection.

All was going well I connected to the internet no problem However I stared to set up some sort of security (WEP) It asked me for code min 8 figs which I inputed. Saved it all.

Now windows can see the network but I cant log onto it and I can not change any settings on the router when I type the IP address in to my browser it says the operation has timed out!

Any ideas folks as not I have a long cable going across my living room.
Old 18 December 2005, 06:58 PM
bgood
Scooby Regular

It's not recommended to configure your wireless router via the wirless connection due to the sort of problem you have experienced. If you plug a cat 5 cable direct from your PC to the router you should be able to access it again via the 192.168.0.1 address in your browser and change the settings to get you back on line via the wireless connection.

Not totally familiar with the Netgear so can't be specific about what settings to chose I'm afraid.

HTH
Old 18 December 2005, 07:28 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bgood
It's not recommended to configure your wireless router via the wirless connection due to the sort of problem you have experienced.

HTH
Indeed. You are sure you've entered the correct password on the router and the PC???? WEP codes must match, i'd go for WPA security if you can but the first thing to sort is to get working again.

1. use a network cable and connect to the router
2 id take the security off for the time being
3 once you get it working, try to implement WPA encryption

It may be your computer is having difficulty aquring an IP address from the router with security enabled but double check passwords. Im not meaning to be patronising about the password as i've done it many a time
Old 18 December 2005, 07:38 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice. Will try it in the morning.