Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

FoIP (Fax over IP)

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2005, 05:38 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FoIP (Fax over IP)

Long shot I know but...

Does anyone know any good online resources for information about FoIP? It doesn't need to be product specific but general background etc. would be good. I can't think why on earth anyone would want to do it but I suppose there must be someone out there who wants it.

I'm doing the Google thing but thought to ask just in case someone here was aware of a nice resource for info.
Old 29 November 2005, 09:46 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

I work for a fax software vendor, so PM me if you want.

Some people are looking to do it for the following reasons:-

They have a VoIP gateway in place already and rather than having analogue/BRI/PRI lines coming out of it they would just rather talk via T.38

Some people do not have phone gateways within their own premises and are offering Fax Broadcasting solutions and so they connect to their carrier via T.38

We are looking at setting up our own fax broadcasting service and in conjunction with the VoIP gateways we sell we can jump on the back of an IP backbone that is already in place for the VoIP and therefore send faxes across the world for next to nothing (i.e. just the local call) - obviously it becomes a normal T.30 call at the sending end but until that point it's all T.38. The saving for us is that we no longer need to lease any PRI lines as we can connect the software/cards straight in to the VoIP gateway.

Last edited by Scott W; 29 November 2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09 December 2005, 11:34 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Cisco CCO is a good source of info re Fiop, and there are some good references on google if you plod through them... I've done alot of testing and analisys o voip and fax over ip. Mainly from a fault finding point of view, and fax (foip) is a real pain in the butt.,,, our equipment does support fax relay however we do have issues with various fax machines using it... or not as the case may be...
Normaly try to avoid using our own (Large world wide communications supplier) FOIP t.38 implimentation as it can be problamatic... generaly use transparent fax when possible... but all that happens then is i end up having to analise peoples networks pull there QOS shedual to peices and then give tem the bad news... it the network and there qos is ****e... mainly becouse people don't understand whats needed... For fax the network as to be 100% otherwise it won't work...
If you want some traces or whatever then i can supply them, if you need something specific i'll set it up in the lab for you and send a trace...
Hope this helps

Daz