Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DVD backup prob....

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2005, 09:32 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD backup prob....

First time using Nero & DVD shrink, backed up successfully to the HD, when I run the burnt DVD the screen is balck & won't run on either the PC or DVD player. You can see all the files on the disc mirror the HD, is this an ercryption issue ? (Something I'm currenty blind to !)
Help !

D
Old 28 November 2005, 09:47 AM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

first thing just use dvd shrink no need for nero. put the disc you want to back up in then open dvd shrink then you want to burn to your dvd drive not harddrive it will read the disc then spit it out and ask for the blank and your done be care full what disc's you use most dvd players wont read +r some will and your computer dvd drive should also dont be fooled in to buying 10 for £10 just because they have a good name go to www.rambox.com i think it is and get ritec g4-5 100 for £25 and you wont have a problem they sell both + and - hope this helps if you still have problem do a search for dvd decrypter and run it past that first its free so dont pay anyone for it
Old 28 November 2005, 12:04 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

To be honest it depends entirely on what DVD you were trying to 'backup'.

A lot of the newer releases will not be decrypted by DVD Shrink. They have got smart to the decryption process and now block it.

There is however other software out there that will decrypt, but this is not the place to discuss it. Or at least I wont be saying it

EDIT - you can find out lots more here
Old 28 November 2005, 12:34 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Thks - I'm sure it's ultimately an encryption problem, I'll check out the link. (Although I've noticed my player is -R not +R as I thought )
(If you have any other brain waves please PM me )

D
Old 28 November 2005, 03:54 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeh shrink is prone to failure these days, but you should realise that when you rip the DVD, as it will seem to be unable to read the DVD. However this is just the DVD directory protection kicking in. When this happens just use DVDecryptor and DVD2one to get it back onto a DVD5 (4.5gb) DVD-R. I'm also using DVD2DVD now. Some DVD's protection can also bsod your machine if you try to rip them
Old 28 November 2005, 09:46 PM
teajunkie
Scooby Regular

www.doom9.org
go to downloads section and try smart ripper it's super fast and works every time.
They have a great help and guide pages.

I too have had probs with dvd shrink.