Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

450 quid for a GFX card, or an Xbox 360 for 300 quid

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2005, 11:22 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 450 quid for a GFX card, or an Xbox 360 for 300 quid

Used to be into the pc tech but nowadays I cant be bothered, have loads of aging pcs but no inclination to upgrade them (fastest being a 2.8 p4, 512 ram and some half decent for 3 years ago graphics), I am however interested in the reasoning behind spending upwards of a grand to play games when you can get an Xbox 360 (nearly) for much less than just a top end Graphics card.

Dont take it as a flaming opportunity, I have a foot in both camps but at the mo I havent seen anything that really looks better on a pc than a console, even the normal Xbox still looks fantastic.

Last edited by J4CKO; 19 November 2005 at 11:25 AM.
Old 19 November 2005, 11:51 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Xbox 360 would be a cheap n quick win.

Trouble is the latest and greatest PC gfx cards are for PCI-E format only (new motherboard, new CPU), plus you'll need to upgrade to at least 1Gb of RAM.

Or just go for a Nvidia 6800GS or ATi X800XL for around 200 quid + upgrade to 1Gb RAM. Both should be available for AGP gfx slots (6800GS is due out on AGP soon).

Either way you'll need to check your power supply is powerful enough to support these cards - another 50 quid.

Xbox looking attractive?
Old 20 November 2005, 09:11 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Just look at the graphics difference. You dont have to spend even close to mega bucks to get better gfx on a PC. The only things consoles do better IMHO is driving games, footy games and are more fun when your mates are around.

Simon.
Old 20 November 2005, 10:47 AM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

IMHO PC's are way better for driving games.

PC GTR LFS rFactor GTL F1C/mods RBR

Console GT4 Forza Enthusia NFS Underground PGR2

I suppose it depends on the amount of realism you want tho'

Last edited by LEUVEN; 20 November 2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 20 November 2005, 01:11 PM
s-man
Scooby Regular

It's an angle that more an more people are considering I reckon. I used to be right into buying the latest kit for my pc but these days I just don't bother. The thing is, it's not just down to whether or not an xbox360 can match the graphical prowess of a ninja pc for me anymore. The reason I don't want to throw money at my pc is simply that there aren't enough devoted PC only games making sufficient use of the hardware. Just about everything that comes out is cross platform these days - and more often than not the games start out as console games and get ported so you really don't see all the benefits your hardware ought to give you. The more things go this way, the fewer reasons there are to keep shelling out mega bucks for the latest gfx cards etc.

I'm getting to the stage where I think it'll be a 360 for gaming and some form of mac for surfing, work and music etc.

Driving games can be tremendous on the pc but I wouldn't spend hundreds, if not thousands of pounds to be able to play 1 or 2 games - personally.
Old 20 November 2005, 03:30 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

The specs of the new consoles like Xbox360 and the new playstation are going to give out enough power and quality to match if not exceed current top spec PC's of today, and with that quallity there will be less of a reason to spend megabucks like you say on PC's for gaming.
£300-£400 for a console with great gameplay/graphics for 5 years, or £1000-£2000 per 2/3years for a PC with great graphics/gameplay.

One day the consoles will probably catch up and while the future looks great for consoles, ATMIT PC's are better
Old 20 November 2005, 03:44 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by LEUVEN
The specs of the new consoles like Xbox360 and the new playstation are going to give out enough power and quality to match if not exceed current top spec PC's of today, and with that quallity there will be less of a reason to spend megabucks like you say on PC's for gaming.
£300-£400 for a console with great gameplay/graphics for 5 years, or £1000-£2000 per 2/3years for a PC with great graphics/gameplay.

One day the consoles will probably catch up and while the future looks great for consoles, ATMIT PC's are better
for about a month and then pc tech will exceed them, if you just want it for games, have to say console (although i use pc for games myself) easy just to turn on and play, if you want to use it for other things, pc.
Old 20 November 2005, 03:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, not conviced, used to worry about having the latest but pc's are all about p1ssing about with resolutions, overclocking and worrying about your 3d mark score, thats not to say my next pc wont be specced well enough to play games but who needs 300 fps in Doom ?

This old thing will still play HalfLife 2, it looks ok, its playable, its got years in it.
Old 20 November 2005, 04:12 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Thumbs down

My take of it is that it depends on what games you like to play. Consoles will never do BF2, GTR or flight sims. As all I play is BF2 (with the great SNAFU scoobynet lads), GTR/GT Legends and flight sims like IL2, well it's a no brainer for me. Consoles, OK for the **** up with the lads in the living room, dumbed down for just that reason, PC's for adult games that require a bit of brain power and a keyboard/mouse/wheel. No playstation/xbox driving game lives up to GTR/GT Legends. I'd buy a top spec PC for that reason alone.

Last edited by _RIP_; 20 November 2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 20 November 2005, 04:31 PM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

I'm part of the crowd thats fed up with constantly upgrading my PC to play the latest and greatest. I've had 15 years of it!

Also seen a multitude of "next generation" consoles launched and now see through the hype.

I'll hold off buying an XBOX360 and or PS3 and or Revolution til there's a game I want to play on them - and none of the 360's launch line up make me want to do that.