Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help with wireless router please??

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2005, 12:39 AM
Tiss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with wireless router please??

I have ordered a Dell inspiron notebook with Tiscali 1meg broadband I was just wondering if anyone could help me with the type of router I would need and where to get one from please?? Also how do you actually connect it to the modem?

regards

Chris
Old 19 November 2005, 01:08 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

best thing to get would be an ADSL router like those listed below

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...?CategoryID=80

The phone line plugs into the router which also provides the wireless connection to your laptop, most routers these days have a modem built in (double check on the specs though). See links below

http://www.adslguide.org/howitworks/
http://www.adslguide.org/guide/summary.asp

Your ISP information is entered into the router (login information), which is set up via a pc. So you connect to the router using a PC with network cable (usually provided).

Typically routers listed on that page will have 4 network ports for wired connections and the wireless option (all the routers on that page have wireless)

The router to go for really depends on how much you want to spend, many people on here have Netgear, linksys or belkin routers and have different opinions on each model. I think on here netgear are a common choice

there are more options i could go into but that should give you an idea at least. If you do a search on here for "routers" or "wireless" you will find many other threads to have a look at

Last edited by mike1210; 19 November 2005 at 01:23 AM.
Old 19 November 2005, 01:27 AM
Tiss
Scooby Regular

So do I have to have the router connected through a desktop or can I just run the laptop off it? sorry a bit thick with new technology!! Also do all the routers come with the little device that plugs into the laptop??

Thanks

Chris
Old 19 November 2005, 11:43 AM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=82066

Buy this , I've bought a few for some friends and never had a problem. The router comes with a modem integrated, so no need to 'connect' it through your PC or laptop. It also comes with a hardware firewall and some other cool features.
Old 19 November 2005, 12:01 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiss
So do I have to have the router connected through a desktop or can I just run the laptop off it? sorry a bit thick with new technology!! Also do all the routers come with the little device that plugs into the laptop??

Thanks

Chris
The router doesnt need to be physically connected to any pc except when you first set it up, only things that would need to be connected to the router once set up are the power supply and the phone line

the laptop should have the wireless built in (double check on this!!!!). So there would be no need to buy a wireless device to plug into the laptop.