Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

copying(backup)from hard drive to hard drive

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2005, 12:06 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default copying(backup)from hard drive to hard drive

Hi
Having problems with my hard drive freezing up. Checked memory with a program,changed my graphic card for one better , checked all cards are in okay, but no change. So i am going to get my C hard drive re-formatted (to eliminate possible software problems?) but first i have to back up. i have already in the past backed up to my 2nd hard drive. The way i keep backing up is i am dragging the folder over from C to D and it obviously copies new stuff and overwrites identical data(windows askes would you like to replace files with same name, i click yes).
My main question is, can anything go wrong doing it this way? ?
What do people use for backing up from one drive to another?
thanks
Michael
Old 14 November 2005, 12:25 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

are you sure the physical state of your hard drive is ok? you may find you will have to buy another hard drive to replace the C drive that you have now. the method you mentioned before would work, id create a folder on d drive and copy all the wanted data into that folder, the flaws for this method are of course user error (forgetting to copy something). there are utilities like drive copy etc for copying the complete contents of the hard drive, but you only need to copy all your files over to the other hard drive. You may want to have a look at the files and setting trasfer wizzard in start, all programs, accesories, system tools and files and settings transfer wizzard.

First things first though, how does the hard drive sound, any nasty loud sounds when it accessing?

Edited too add, does the hard drive freeze on a particular program? Or it is that windows itself is crashing?

Last edited by mike1210; 14 November 2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 14 November 2005, 01:11 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

Hi
Done a check on C using Tools/error checking, says its okay. done a defrag. difficult to say conclusively about condition of C, it makes a little noise but some drives i believe are noisier than others. it does not seem particulary loud. It is only about a year old. Sometimes it does not freeze for 2 hours , sometimes its really bad like every minute or few minutes. Mostly seems to freeze when you are using mouse, but sometimes freezes when left on doing nothing. As for programs i have noticed when playing Windows media player 10 it freezes after a few minutes but winamp lasts a lot longer(15 to 1 hour). Thought about uninstalling media player and reinstall Sometimes the screen freezes, sometimes it goes blank. both cases nothing will work and i have to turn it off at the switch (no reset button) Its been going on for a month or two now.
Thanks
Old 14 November 2005, 02:41 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you say the HDD is freezing, I think u mean the PC is freezing.

So this sounds more like a CPU or mobo issue, if ure sure the RAM is ok. Might be the PSU to. PC's are great fun when things go wrong aren't they
Old 14 November 2005, 04:35 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

Yes, you are right. I meant the PC is freezing. Just bought the first HD as i said about 12months ago (it failed and did not back up everything ) Just got my 2nd hard drive 3 months ago. Both pata. if i had known this would happen i would have got new computer with sata drives, nevermind. I think it might be CPU because around the time it first froze i eventually found out fan had failed. If mobo or CPU means new mobo,new CPU, new memory, new case(probably best as mic input broken). Anybody got a cheap Pentium P4 2GHZ???
thanks