Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac laptops

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2005, 10:50 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac laptops

Anyone recently bought a new 15/17" Powerbook?

Friend has and after returning the first one and just receiving the second with exactly the same problem he is well cheesed off with Apple.

It seems that the new HD screens have nasty lines across them that are faint but for a designer really are bad.
Apple screens have always been very nice IMHO.

Plenty of people on the Apple boards moaning with Apple closing threads about it, they are saying its normal. Some people claim 'you just can't see it'

AllanB - Anyone there know anything about it? Had any returned?

Rich
Old 10 November 2005, 08:18 AM
rich101
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yep I have the new 17" PB can't say that I have noticed anything wrong with the screen. Which colours/App's make it apparent ?

I did have the previous model but still waiting for Apple to collect it. Not sure if anyone else is aware of Apple's T&C's but once you have anything from Apple for more than 14 days their so called remorse period !

So if I had listened to Apple my 16 day old PB should have been taken to an approved Apple repair centre . . . . . once repaired around 10 days it would be available for collection.

Strangely I declined their offer and have rejected the item as faulty. Interesting that Apple who one would assume like to trade in the UK should blatently ignore the Sales of Goods act and the Distance Selling legislation currently forming UK law.

Thankfully I paid using AmEx who are now sorting the whole mess out.

rich

Has anyone else been having problems with Airport connections when you have 1.5+ Gb memory fitted. Random disconnections and a reboot seems to be the only fix.

Originally Posted by RichB
Anyone recently bought a new 15/17" Powerbook?

Friend has and after returning the first one and just receiving the second with exactly the same problem he is well cheesed off with Apple.

It seems that the new HD screens have nasty lines across them that are faint but for a designer really are bad.
Apple screens have always been very nice IMHO.

Plenty of people on the Apple boards moaning with Apple closing threads about it, they are saying its normal. Some people claim 'you just can't see it'

AllanB - Anyone there know anything about it? Had any returned?

Rich

Last edited by rich101; 10 November 2005 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Airport + 2.0Gb Problem
Old 10 November 2005, 10:24 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Rich - I've not actually seen the problem but I guess it can be described as 'grainyness'. It is apparent in the menu bar but only upon fairly close inspection so I hear.

My G5 has 2gb of RAM and the only time I've lost AP connectivity is when I've restarted and sometimes it's forgotten which network it's on. Not very often though.

Apple do suck like that, I had to return my G5 because it had a faulty motherboard, I ran the diagnostics and reported the error codes over the phone, they knew it was crock but it still had to be sent away to be repaired - Left me machineless for 10 days which being a freelancer wasn't the most convenient but they don't give a toss about that... Spend 2k+ on the (then) top of the range machine and once they have your cash - tough. I guess thats why you buy from distributors, they have a reputation to uphold, sadly in this case Apple were the cheapest way of getting it.
Old 10 November 2005, 12:58 PM
rich101
Scooby Regular

Smile

The AP problem is specifically PB only I believe see here -

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...05110710240144

Apple have possibly the worst Customer Services policies I have ever come across, now although I dislike Dell they sure could teach them a thing or two about treating their customer base with the importance they deserve.

Like you this PB is my 24/7 machine without it I cannot work and as I get paid for the time worked it kinda limits things with Apple's lame policies.

I was tempted by the Apple Care years ago, but I fail to see how it would improve what can only be described as a dire service !

However with all of the above in mind it is probably unbelievable to some that I am off to buy an iBook for my five year old daughter ! See we are incurable . . . . .

P.S. - Just found another so Apple feature whilst spell checking this post, highlight the text and right click selecting Spelling. Cool or What.

rich

Originally Posted by RichB
Rich - I've not actually seen the problem but I guess it can be described as 'grainyness'. It is apparent in the menu bar but only upon fairly close inspection so I hear.

My G5 has 2gb of RAM and the only time I've lost AP connectivity is when I've restarted and sometimes it's forgotten which network it's on. Not very often though.

Apple do suck like that, I had to return my G5 because it had a faulty motherboard, I ran the diagnostics and reported the error codes over the phone, they knew it was crock but it still had to be sent away to be repaired - Left me machineless for 10 days which being a freelancer wasn't the most convenient but they don't give a toss about that... Spend 2k+ on the (then) top of the range machine and once they have your cash - tough. I guess thats why you buy from distributors, they have a reputation to uphold, sadly in this case Apple were the cheapest way of getting it.