Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Counterstrike - FPS Probs

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2005, 07:40 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Counterstrike - FPS Probs

Recently reinstalled CS (long story but I kinda get addicted to it and spend far too many hours playing). However my graphics seem to be pretty laggy when in a firefight. show_fps indicates around 100fps a lot of the time but when I walk into a firefight with lots of players, smoke, rain etc then it drops down to under 30fps (which is indicated in a red colour) and its very noticeable.

When I run the video stress test under CS:S / HL2 I get 129 fps average on 1024 res with low settings for everything.

My system is: Athlon 64bit 3200, Xfx 6600GT, 1gb Geil RAM. Nothing cutting edge but I would have thought adequate to run CS:S smoothly at 1024 res.

Would upgrading to dual 6600GT's be worthwhile or even to 1 6800? Dont really have the funds for something fancing like a 7800.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 08 November 2005, 12:55 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

sure its not network choke?
Old 08 November 2005, 01:27 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

there is a command to cap FPS - this generally smooths out game play - I've limited mine to 80.
Old 08 November 2005, 03:13 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
sure its not network choke?
Nope, run net_graph 3 and it doesnt show any problems. Running:

rate 20000
cl_cmdrate 51
cl_updaterate 51

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 08 November 2005, 03:16 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
there is a command to cap FPS - this generally smooths out game play - I've limited mine to 80.
I dont follow, how does reducing your fps smooth out gameplay? Ive read that less fps means less traffic to send but cant say Im convinced.

And even capped at 80fps I would still get the sub 30 fps drops which seem to be causing the problems.

Also posted on Overclockers and was directed to the Steam Forums (steampowered.com). It appears that since an update in september quite a few people have the same problem. It seems that CS:S is very cpu intensive/reliant.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 08 November 2005, 04:06 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gone off CS:S a bit, gone back to 1.6/CZ as it's far smoother and I'm too tight to splash out on new hardware to make CS:S work in a decent resolution!
Old 08 November 2005, 04:15 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol.. your not the only one, since Steam had its updates I found everything to be laggy when in gun battles, not played it in ages now.... shame cause its a cracking game when running fine.
Old 08 November 2005, 04:18 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Can't remember my Athlon 3200+ with 9800pro suffering with stuttering?
Unless you're talking about when there's 20 players on screen throwing grenades etc?
Old 08 November 2005, 04:27 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

smoke kills things no matter what hardware
Old 09 November 2005, 12:27 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

It sounds like choke points on the maps. Cant remember the reason why but all maps have choke points where your FPS will drop. Shouldnt happen that often though.

I cant remember the exact console command but try typing fps_max or max_fps.
It should come up saying what you FPS is capped too. Sometimes after a update it resets setting in your user.cfg file.

You could also try posting in the Source section of www.enemydown.co.uk.

Also i would update your cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate to about 80.

If you cant be bothered registering on ED drop me a PM and il make a post on your behalf seing as im registered and my clan plays in ED.

This is the reason i hate CS source though, far too many bugs. I wont play it at the moment due to a problem with ge force 4 graphics cards which i have. Basically boxes and some walls dont appear until im right ontop of them.

CZ is much more playable game. Looks and plays better than 1.6 without all the bugs of source.

http://www.hmss-shadowclan.co.uk/vid...abbystabby.wmv

^^ another vid of me in action

Last edited by ScoobyDriverWannabe; 09 November 2005 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09 November 2005, 07:15 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe
It sounds like choke points on the maps. Cant remember the reason why but all maps have choke points where your FPS will drop. Shouldnt happen that often though.

I cant remember the exact console command but try typing fps_max or max_fps.
It should come up saying what you FPS is capped too. Sometimes after a update it resets setting in your user.cfg file.

You could also try posting in the Source section of www.enemydown.co.uk.

Also i would update your cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate to about 80.

If you cant be bothered registering on ED drop me a PM and il make a post on your behalf seing as im registered and my clan plays in ED.

This is the reason i hate CS source though, far too many bugs. I wont play it at the moment due to a problem with ge force 4 graphics cards which i have. Basically boxes and some walls dont appear until im right ontop of them.

CZ is much more playable game. Looks and plays better than 1.6 without all the bugs of source.

http://www.hmss-shadowclan.co.uk/vid...abbystabby.wmv

^^ another vid of me in action
When I played CS:S a few months back it was fine. Its just annoying that there are so many options and configurations to check & change. A sorted config can make a big difference to a good player.

I aint played for a clan for ages. Pre-source I was playing in some of the top UK clans. Even trialled for 4kings but didnt work out due to other commitments.

Ive always sucked at knife fights for some strange reason. Every time im on a public and someone says knives when its 1on1 I end up losing. Any tips for successful knifing

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 09 November 2005, 09:26 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Ive always sucked at knife fights for some strange reason. Every time im on a public and someone says knives when its 1on1 I end up losing. Any tips for successful knifing
Yeah, pull out a gun at the last minute

Run circles, jump in, aim at the head and use the alternate attack. As soon as you've made an alternate attack back-off out of range.

My all-time favourite knife kill was on a 1.6 game, CS_Backalley, finding a camper near one of the rescue zones and dropping down onto his head from above. Tagged the ground under him and then knifed him in the head before he knew what was going on
Old 09 November 2005, 01:47 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

4 kings ey. Come trial for my CZ clan we need som more skilled players lol

And as for tips when knifing, i always try and stay the their side movig in a circular motion to attack their side. Not a good idea taking som one on, head on with a knife. Also use primary slash.

heres another vid of my clan in action if anyone wants to see.
http://www.hmss-shadowclan.co.uk/videos/shadow5.wmv

Last edited by ScoobyDriverWannabe; 09 November 2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09 November 2005, 01:54 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Would upgrading to dual 6600GT's be worthwhile or even to 1 6800? Dont really have the funds for something fancing like a 7800.
Check out the 6800GS that released this week.

We occassionally get lag issues on BF2 specifically when a lot of the other players have high ping rates - worth checking to see if you're playing with people that 100+ ping rates when it happens...