Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Speedtouch USB/330 on Win98se

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2005, 11:05 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speedtouch USB/330 on Win98se

My neighbour is currently trying to get connected on his Virgin.net ADSL line, but is haing mares just trying to install the frickin Speedtouch modem.

I've tried to give him a hand on two of his win98se machines (yes, I know he should join the new millennium and upgrade!) but both are cuasing grief.

The more modern of the two machines (a Dell Dimension P3) won't allow us to install or update the drivers for the modem. It gives an error code 136 when i try to update.

I have tried loading down the patch for the modem (r.3.0.15), but still no joy.

If I connect the modem and boot up the machine I get a fatal OE exception error, complaining about a vxd file etc.

Any ideas on how to sort this out chaps would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Daz
Old 13 October 2005, 08:41 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With 2 WIn98 pcs, just get him a router & have done with it. Modems will only slow down his pc's even more & ICS on Win98 wasn't as good as on XP.
Old 13 October 2005, 06:28 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dazzler
My neighbour is currently trying to get connected on his Virgin.net ADSL line, but is haing mares just trying to install the frickin Speedtouch modem.

I've tried to give him a hand on two of his win98se machines (yes, I know he should join the new millennium and upgrade!) but both are cuasing grief.

The more modern of the two machines (a Dell Dimension P3) won't allow us to install or update the drivers for the modem. It gives an error code 136 when i try to update.

I have tried loading down the patch for the modem (r.3.0.15), but still no joy.

If I connect the modem and boot up the machine I get a fatal OE exception error, complaining about a vxd file etc.

Any ideas on how to sort this out chaps would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Daz
First off, have you tried updating the USB drivers for the board? You can get these from the DELL website.

Secondly. The vxd error your getting is due to a mismatched driver that windows doesn't like, or a driver that is not fully installed correctly. Have to checked your hardware device properties to see if you havn't got more than one MODEM driver installed. Or a yellow exclamation mark.

Thirdly. Some board manufacturers have 2 places in the BIOS to correctly activate the USB ports. One to enable the other to assign an IRQ number. You need to check this.

Fourthly. The USB ports will only be running at version 1 perhaps version 1.1 speeds (10 - 12Mbs shared) so your MODEM connection will be bottlenecked.

I hope that helps?

Last edited by jpor; 13 October 2005 at 06:32 PM.