Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Creating an offsite backup scenario for about 1 TB of data

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2005, 12:02 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creating an offsite backup scenario for about 1 TB of data

Hi peeps,

Been given a task here to create an offsite backup system for our network system. This consists of a Novell network (version 6.5 ) with groupwise and and an NT network consisting of about 16 network servers as well as huge W2K3 DELL NAS system.

Basically all this needs to be stored on a near line storage system based at a site down the road over ADSL/SDSL links.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to look and what software/hardware to use. We currently use Veritas Backup Exec on both the novell and NT networks.

Cheers

Stu
Old 10 October 2005, 12:25 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it need to just be a data backup or does it need to be an exact replica?

I would like at the amount of data needing to be backed up and how often. ADSL/SDSL can look very slow if you need to backup 1TB of data.

I've used Bare Metal type disaster recovery stuff in the past as well as some replication and snapshot solutions.
Old 10 October 2005, 12:46 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Ozzy,

It just needs a data backup really, no need for a hot site or exact replica.

As for the amount of data that changes/grows on a daily basis. I would estimate this would be in the region of 2/3 GBs per day. We do have the leased line option if needed, but everything is fluid and open to change/re jigging.
Old 10 October 2005, 01:25 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stueyb
Hi peeps,

Been given a task here to create an offsite backup system for our network system. This consists of a Novell network (version 6.5 ) with groupwise and and an NT network consisting of about 16 network servers as well as huge W2K3 DELL NAS system.

Basically all this needs to be stored on a near line storage system based at a site down the road over ADSL/SDSL links.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to look and what software/hardware to use. We currently use Veritas Backup Exec on both the novell and NT networks.

Cheers

Stu
How far is done the road - is this for DR, will it be the only point of off site storage? - You will need to back the full 1tb across the connection depending on your backup cycle - are you doing a full backup once a week?
Old 10 October 2005, 03:24 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

What about 694,444 floppy diskettes

Of course you'd need to have a transport strategy to get them off-site