Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

First thoughts on the PSP

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2005, 10:19 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First thoughts on the PSP

I got my new PSP on Thursday & thought I'd post a mini review of my thoughts. I also bought 3 games, Ridge Racer, Lumines & Wipeout Pure.

The PSP comes with a cleaning cloth which is just as well as it gets finger prints all over it. Picking it up fort the first few days is a bit like a Motorola cellphone, it's hard not to press any buttons when you grab it. The PSP is covered in buttons & slots. Inserting the battery is the first job, then the initial battery charge-up which takes a few hours. The battery compartment cover is suprisingly flimsy, but at least it shouldn't need to be opened very often. When switched on, the screen is clear & bright, I turn the brightness down at night. Although the screen is sharp & has no blurring, it's a little too small particularly playing driving games, the track far ahead can be difficult to work out as you must imagine shapes from only a few pixels. I have a few stuck (white) pixels which I onyl notice when the screen is black. The sound quality was a surprise to me as it's so poor. Think integral LCD monitor speakers with less bass & you get the idea. Volume is also pretty low. When playing games, the PSP fits nicely in your hand & feels a reasonable weight, all the buttons are good quality, apart from the on/off switch & UMB opening button. It can be quite difficult also to figure out whether you've turned the PSP off, or just put it in standby. The operation is pratically the same & there's no visible indication of whether it's off or in standby. Game load-up time is very slow & any game section that needs to be loaded takes ages. You can drink a cup of coffee in the time each track takes to load in Ridge Racer. In summary, fairly well made but the games & extras could end up costing you a fortune. It's really not suitable for playing music & you need pc software to convert any movies you have into MP4. It's nice for playing games though, I'd recommend a 60 minute wait between playing Ridge Racer & going out in your car...!
Old 08 October 2005, 10:05 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend a longer wait after playing Crash Junction on Burnout

Pretty much agree on everything you've said, load times are longer than I expected especially on Lumines where there are no real graphics wrt a 'proper' game
Old 08 October 2005, 10:47 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Lumines brilliant game! bought 5 games so far and i play that the most by far, watch the screen scratchs very easily. looks like its made from the softest plastic on earth!
Old 08 October 2005, 10:51 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

They're pretty tough, my dog can destroy most things, but the PSP still works.

Old 09 October 2005, 02:22 AM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

dont forget to buy this

http://search.ebay.co.uk/quality-screen-protector
Old 09 October 2005, 10:29 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

What is it with the value pack PSP case? Looks to be the worst case ever made! Also it's designed for a left handed person. I almost scratch the PSP putting it in the case! Any recommendations for a replacement?

Scooby soon
How do you put up with the music on Lumines? It's a good game, but terrible music, I have to play it with the whole PSP sound turned off. Also, have you noticed when you delete a number of squares, the game seems to freeze? I have to build on both sides so I can see what I'm doing. The game will be appearing on Ebay soon!
Old 09 October 2005, 10:40 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I just came back from a flight in KL (12 hours) and played it nearly all the time as well as waiting for the plane.My game doesnt freeze I have got up to about a 101,000 high score when things start to get pretty fast. Definetly no freezing you could have a dirty disc?

The music is a bit crazy especially when it adds in effects when you press the button to rotate the shape (Shake your body is pretty bad) cant remember exactly what it is but everytime you press its like SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE!

My other mega pet hate is the earphones limited to 90db, if your in a room by itself with no one else you will probably use the speakers. But if you are on a plane, in a car in a departure lounge forget about being able to hear the sound from the earphones for either games or MP3s

Can anyone confirm replacing them will make it louder (ie is it the earphones or the PSP limiting the volume?

I bought the PSP with Ridge Racer, I have played it for a total of about 2 hours since Sep 1st complete waste of money all the cars and tracks feel the same. I also bought Wipeout which is good (never played before PSP) but took me a while to get in to it. Also got Tom something or other Mercury game seems ok but gets very hard after only a few stages. But for ultimate pick up a playability Lumines has got to be No 1 easily as good or better than Tetris shame it didnt make better use of the PSP graphics.
Old 09 October 2005, 11:12 AM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Im very impressed with mine so far i think its a great peice of kit.

Im not really impressed with the current games on offer though, My shortlist was Toca Race Car, Burnout and Ridge Racer. As said i remember RR being pretty limited on the PS and i have Burnout on PS2. So i went with Toca, the graphics i cant knock at all but the game itself is very hard and i always seem to get overtaken on the starting grid! and ultimatly finish about 5th! Having 20 cars on track is impressive!! The Mustang series is soo though (Elanor )

Time will tell wether more "good" games will come out, nothing really floats my boat at the moment. Ill probably need more soon though!
Old 09 October 2005, 01:00 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

I just tried the Sennheiser MX300 (worth £9) headphones that came with my MP3 player in the PSP. (I have bought a set of Shure E2c phones for my MP3 player). The MX300s sound great, much louder than the regular Sony 99p specials & much better quality - they even have bass! They work plugged direct into the PSP & also plugged into the inline remote thing. The MX500s at £19 would probably be better, you can also get them in white.

I'm now looking for a way to plug the PSP into external speakers as I now see I'm missing a lot of the sound quality.
Old 09 October 2005, 04:00 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Well the battery stays charged a long time doesnt it!!!
Old 09 October 2005, 05:19 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Does anyone have links to good game review sites? I'd like to look at Need for Speed but I've already made 2 expensive mistakes (Lumines & Wipeout).
Old 09 October 2005, 05:29 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Another quick question, does anyone have any hints & tips on converting movies (AVI or WMA) to MP4 to play on the PSP?
Old 09 October 2005, 08:58 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick
I just tried the Sennheiser MX300 (worth £9) headphones that came with my MP3 player in the PSP. (I have bought a set of Shure E2c phones for my MP3 player). The MX300s sound great, much louder than the regular Sony 99p specials & much better quality - they even have bass! They work plugged direct into the PSP & also plugged into the inline remote thing. The MX500s at £19 would probably be better, you can also get them in white.

I'm now looking for a way to plug the PSP into external speakers as I now see I'm missing a lot of the sound quality.

I got a set of these for my PSP

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/review.php?reviewId=1210

Lucky for me they were free from a friend of mine who received three sets as 'samples' at his business.Sound is very impressive but the review in the link above seems to suggest the Logitech set as being a better performer!!
Still you can't complain when you get em for nowt!!
Old 09 October 2005, 08:59 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Another quick question, does anyone have any hints & tips on converting movies (AVI or WMA) to MP4 to play on the PSP?
Here ya go mate - http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000980024404/
Old 09 October 2005, 09:44 PM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

Does anyone have links to good game review sites? I'd like to look at Need for Speed but I've already made 2 expensive mistakes (Lumines & Wipeout).
this sites quite good DOES ALL CONSOLES AND PC GAMES but you may need to join "but its free anyway "

and provides loads of downloads for games & patches

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/index.html
Old 09 October 2005, 09:46 PM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

http://www.pspvideo9.com/
Old 09 October 2005, 10:24 PM
P_v_G
Scooby Regular

www.ign.com is a good site, although its US so the games may not be released over here/there.

And mistakes in Lumines and Wipeout?? They are brilliant games!! Tsk tsk the youth of today.
Old 09 October 2005, 10:34 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by NickAdams
Thanks for the link, I've seen this page, it needs something like 4 programs though including the dreadful Quicktime. Is there just one program that does it? I don't mind paying for it.
Old 09 October 2005, 11:48 PM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

I tried watching a movie on my psp on the train a month ago and couldnt hear a thing. Volume is way too low even on full wack. So I bought a headphone amplifier thing off e-bay for £16 called a boostaroo. Cr@p name but it works. Am flying to new york in December so will test it properly then. I think I'll also be using my Djing headphones which are a closed can design so will block out background noise.

As for the negative remarks about the PSP, to be honest I think for the sake of waiting a minute for a game to load is a small sacrifice to pay for the overall quality of the psp. I have ridge racer and to be honest you're waiting a minute at the absolute maximum. What else is there on the market that can deliver that sort of quality graphics and game play, not to mention everything else it does. PSP lives up to the hype, play one and you'll want one.

Iain
Old 10 October 2005, 02:08 AM
P_v_G
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Greeny01
I tried watching a movie on my psp on the train a month ago and couldnt hear a thing. Volume is way too low even on full wack.
Is this a movie you have encoded yourself? If so and you are using PSPVideo9, rember to use the audio boost slider and ramp the volume up to 200%.
Old 10 October 2005, 02:18 AM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

I tried watching a movie on my psp on the train a month ago and couldnt hear a thing. Volume is way too low even on full wack. So I bought a headphone amplifier thing off e-bay for £16 called a boostaroo. Cr@p name but it works. Am flying to new york in December so will test it properly then. I think I'll also be using my Djing headphones which are a closed can design so will block out background noise.

As for the negative remarks about the PSP, to be honest I think for the sake of waiting a minute for a game to load is a small sacrifice to pay for the overall quality of the psp. I have ridge racer and to be honest you're waiting a minute at the absolute maximum. What else is there on the market that can deliver that sort of quality graphics and game play, not to mention everything else it does. PSP lives up to the hype, play one and you'll want one.

Iain
Here here!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10 October 2005, 04:01 AM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the link, I've seen this page, it needs something like 4 programs though including the dreadful Quicktime. Is there just one program that does it? I don't mind paying for it.
look @ my link free & easy to use
Old 10 October 2005, 08:48 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Iain
Check out post #9, you don't need a headphone amplifier - just different headphones. MX300s for £9 are a significant improvement.

Initial game loading times are long but ok, it's the loading times between each section. For instance, each time you run a race in Ridge Racer you have to wait though the loading screen, so with RR you have to sit waiting for it to load. This is a portable unit for quick games when you have a few minutes spare. From turning on the PSP & loading RR to actually starting a race takes nearly 2 minutes. Each race is between 3 & 6 mins long, but with 20 secs of loading before the start of each track. When I'm fired up, 20 secs of watching a white loading screen seems like 20 mins!
Old 10 October 2005, 08:50 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by badcompany
look @ my link free & easy to use
I downloaded it thanks - looks just what I need. I just realised though that I need to get a bigger memory stick.
Old 10 October 2005, 09:23 AM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P_v_G
Is this a movie you have encoded yourself? If so and you are using PSPVideo9, rember to use the audio boost slider and ramp the volume up to 200%.
No it wasnt, but I beleive even if you do that it doesnt make it much louder. I have the software to encode myself but havent got round to doing it yet.

Have you tried it?

IAin
Old 10 October 2005, 03:38 PM
P_v_G
Scooby Regular

No it wasnt, but I beleive even if you do that it doesnt make it much louder. I have the software to encode myself but havent got round to doing it yet.

Have you tried it?

IAin
Its makes a hell of a difference and yes I have tried it . Just run the vid through PSPVideo9 again and ramp up the volume. Newly encoded vids from DVD set at 200% volume in PSPV9 are just about acceptable due to the low sound level on a dvd so pass it through again to increase the volume.

I've just said the same thing twice there so it must be true!

paul.
Old 10 October 2005, 03:41 PM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

Cool, I never knew you could run a file through it again once its already in mp4 format. I get most of my movies from a friend of mine so have never even opened the application even though I've got it on my pc. I will give it a go.

Iain
Old 25 December 2005, 10:07 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Loving mine but like the rest of you guys have issues with the sound.

Been shooting and drumming since I was 12 so I can't hear very well at the best of times

Will go shopping tomorrow to get some decent headphones. Will I need a headphone amp aswell or will a decent set of headphones do? Is maplin the best place to start looking?

At the moment I can barely hear Sin City UMD Video in my lounge let alone sitting in a plane!

Other than that I'm very impressed!
Old 26 December 2005, 01:29 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

anyone got a decent case (i don't know why i as all these psp questions i'm yet to buy one )
Old 26 December 2005, 02:06 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

mmmmm compact cards, mmc cards

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...f15910adb79271

Quick Reply: First thoughts on the PSP