Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless Networking Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2005, 08:56 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wireless Networking Problem

OK guys, another one for you:

I have a cabled Lan where I have decided to add a wireless access point so I can use a laptop and roam around without dangly cables getting in the way.

The access point and usb wireless dongle are fine and talk to each other. I can also see my other workstations and can ping around the network to my hearts content.

The problem occurs when I want to access the web. Despite the fact that the access point has an IP & subnet within the range of the IP's I use on the other systems, and uses the same default gateway and DNS server address as on the other kit, I keep getting errors along the lines of "www.scoobynet.co.uk cannot be found".

Have tried using both fixed and variable (DHCP generated) IP addresses on the access point, I'm not getting far with this problem.

The whole thing feels like a DNS server address problem and yet I can't see why that would be as the same dns server addresses work on the other cabled workstations fine, and I can access the net with no trouble.

Ideas anyone please? Cabled networking is a doddle compared to this wireless malarky.

Thanks

WB
Old 03 October 2005, 09:20 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Bravo,

I am using WEP; however the problem occurs whether WEP is turned on or not. I have tried a basic open system with absolutely no security set and its the same problem. I only tried dhcp as a desperate measure, the access point and dongle are on static IP addy's.

The only security measure I have had on from the start was to turn broadcast SSID off. Surely this should not make any difference?

I have a firewall between the access point and my router but all other traffic goes through the same route fine.

Any other ideas? Doing my head in.

Thanks

WB
Old 03 October 2005, 09:24 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

default gateway on the lappy? your other w/s will be on the same subnet so they'll be seen but anything outside of it may not.

Do a tracert to somewhere like here and see what the FIRST failure is... that's where the fault is
Old 03 October 2005, 09:26 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could this be something to do with the NAT? On some routers on some IPs you may need manually forward your internal IP address so that it connects to the external IP you connet to the ISP. Either that or you may need to tinker with your Internet Explorer settings. Maybe worth checking to see if the 'Automatic Detect settings' box under LAN settings is ticked.
Old 03 October 2005, 09:33 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Kieran, Jpor,

I'm not using a wireless card on the laptop but a usb dongle. IP address range on this is fine, and as I have said, I can ping round on the internal lan with no problems.

With regard to first point of failure if I ping eg scoobynet's resolved IP addy in DOS I get a timeout error, which confuses the hell out of me. What it does tell me is that this is not an error connected to IE ( I use Mozilla, btw).

If it was a NAT problem I would expect at least on of the cabled workstations, if not all, to exhibit the same problem.

Any other thoughts please?

WB
Old 03 October 2005, 09:35 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Bravo,

Using the service providers dns addresses, not the routers. As far as I remember they are the same.
Old 03 October 2005, 10:05 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Well it has to be the firewall then. If all internal traffic is going through the access point without issue its not that, the problem is only for external access which is controlled by the firewall.
Sorry, I did not make myself clear. All traffic that goes through the firewall does so without issues. Any traffic that tries to go through the wireless access point and then through the firewall is where I have the problem.

Put another way, any device on the cabled part of the lan that seeks access tothe web gets it, anything going through the wireless point does not. Therefore problem lies with the access point somehow.

WB
Old 03 October 2005, 11:19 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Bravo,

The plot gets thicker; just been experimenting and the results are as follows:

Using the existing dns server addresses in the access point, and any combination of fixed ip addresses I can ping any workstation in the network, ping the cabled router, ping my external ip address.

I used the external gateway address as my default gateway, as suggested, and while I can ping it (see above) I still can't get my web client to see Scoobynet or anything else. Error message is the same as before.

So I'm now not sure what I'm dealing with here. Seems I can now ping around, internally and externally, but can't view via the browser nor send/receive emails via my mail client.

Not sure where to go next. Your thoughts?

WB
Old 04 October 2005, 08:38 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Sorry, but have you actually tried turning the firewall off, rather than assuming it's not the problem? I find it's the cause of at least half of all network issues. You firewall may have a problem with the access point if it doesn't trust it.

M
Old 04 October 2005, 07:35 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Bravo,

Tried your ideas as suggested above but no joy. I then rang Netgear's helpdesk today for some help (based in India, suprise surprise). After half an hour, 10 minutes of which was spent by the guy registering my product onto their database, I am now worse off than I was before I made the call.

The usb dongle won't talk to the access point and generally speaking the usb dongle won't set itself to the IP addresses I am feeding it.

Totally frustrated, gone out to give the dog a good kicking

Later on this evening I will strip everything down and start again from scratch and see how I get on. If I don't then the kit is going back and I will be asking for my money back.

Thanks for your help on this so far, much appreciated..

I will post up tomorrow on where I am at.

The thing that pees me off is that if this was a cabled item I would have been done in 5 minutes!
Old 04 October 2005, 09:21 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Bravo,

On the case as we speak. I have at least managed to get the laptop to speak to the access point via the dongle. Shall see how we get on.

Cheers

WB
Old 04 October 2005, 10:24 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Fixed It

Well, would you believe it, I stripped everything back to basics, deinstalled and reinstalled the USB dongle driver, hard reset the access point so it went back to factory settings, set my IP addresses to the ranges that I used before, used the same DNS server settings as before, left SSID on and changed nothing else and..........it worked!

Apart from my approach tonight, which was to change one setting at a time then test the effect out, from a technical perspective I have done absolutely NOTHING differently from what I have been doing for the last 3 nights, including leaving the firewall in! Unbelievable.

Anyways, one by one I have managed to set up 152/156 bit security, mac address access control, constant 108mbits speed, etc, and, so far, its remained stable. I'm typing this from the new install as we speak.

So I guess its been sods law operating here big time.

Thanks to you guys for your help, especially to Bravo for hanging in there, very much appreciated.

Cheers

WB
Old 04 October 2005, 10:40 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Hardware reliability just isn't what it should be with todays technological advances!

You can say that again. Imagine depending on one of these things to get you to the moon and back. No bloody chance

Thanks again mate.

WB