Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Unable to use Windows Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2005, 06:02 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to use Windows Explorer

Hi. Got a bit of a problem with my folk's PC and could do with some help...

Basically - computer (Win XP Home) starts up fine and you can run software, connect to broadband etc. ok.

The problem occurs when you try to open My Computer/Windows Explorer.

The explorer window opens, lists all (or most) of the contents (e.g. drives/folders), then it just hangs. You can't select or right click anything within the window, and it also makes any other windows lock up temporarily.

After about 30s the explorer process seems to restart (e.g. the taskbar reloads and any apps re-appear - except for the explorer window). Hopefully that makes it clear how the problem presents itself. My parents say it's been like this for a couple of weeks.

So I've done the usual adware/spyware/virus checks and removed any nasties. Obviously as I can't access My Computer I couldn't scan the hard drive, but I ran a chkdsk which didn't show up any errors.

BUT...

The only thing I have found is looking in eventvwr, the following error which bagan on the 15/09:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7
Date: 01/10/2005
Time: 17:34:31
User: N/A
Computer: COMPAQ
Description:
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

This alert has increased daily from about 1 or 2 initially, and more since they got back from holiday - and while I've been investigating today I've had over 400 occurrences!

Is this what is causing the explorer problems?

Like I say, everything else looks fine and funninly enough if you do a file > open in AOL, for example, you can browse virtually all the folders on C:\, although it crashes AOL if you right click on the actual C:\ drive (as I've just found out ).

Any help appreciated. Cheers, Jamie

Last edited by JamieMacdonald; 01 October 2005 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01 October 2005, 09:07 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

I would start by re-installing service pack 2 Or if not service packed, install service pack 2. This will include IE6 SP2 within the updates it applies.
Old 01 October 2005, 09:45 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply.

I did try to put sp2 on it a few months back but it totally killed it (went into a reboot cycle). I couldn't get around it so therefore upgrading to sp2 is not really an option.
Old 01 October 2005, 10:10 PM
ChrisB

Have you run a CHKDSK on the drive? Right click the drive in My Computer, Properties, Tools > Check Desk

Or run CHKDSK /F from a CMD prompt. If you want a longer test, use CHKDSK /R but that might take an hour or three.
Old 01 October 2005, 10:39 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Yes tried that mate...
Originally Posted by JamieMacdonald
Obviously as I can't access My Computer I couldn't scan the hard drive, but I ran a chkdsk which didn't show up any errors.
But not tried the /R flag though so will give that a go tomorrow - using /F didn't show any errors but maybe /R will find (and hopefully fix) the bad block?

Cheers
Old 02 October 2005, 08:07 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Who da man!!!!

CHKDSK /R rand for about 2 hrs and found 4kb of bad blocks it then repaired and updated some 'bitmap', upon restart all is hunkus dorus!

Well done ChrisB