Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

WAG54G Wireless help needed :(

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2005, 06:28 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WAG54G Wireless help needed :(

Hi all, we have a main pc connected to the router, and use the laptop wirelessly.

The laptop was in desperate need of a reformat, so after wiping it, I can't seem to connect to the internet from the laptop.

The Wireless network connection icon lights (the two little PC monitors) and it appears as though I am connected (at 54mbps!!), but all I get in IE is 'Cannot find server'...

Any ideas what I've done wrong?

I've tried the helpline, but all I get is some bloke in India that can't speak decent English...

Any help would be much appreciated - I'm starting to get hassle of 'er indoors
Old 28 September 2005, 10:52 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Personally find it easier to give wireless laptops static ip's, Just seems to work better !

Put in the address of the router as the default gateway and as the prefered DNS server and give it a static ip as the one above the one its picked up by DNS.

Richard
Old 29 September 2005, 01:03 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
Personally find it easier to give wireless laptops static ip's, Just seems to work better !

Put in the address of the router as the default gateway and as the prefered DNS server and give it a static ip as the one above the one its picked up by DNS.

Richard
TBH you've lost me, mate
Old 29 September 2005, 01:20 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Can you 'ping' the router from the laptop? Start/run - type 'cmd' in the 'open' line and type ping 192.168.1.1 in the window that opens. You should get 3 lines of 'Rply from 192.168.1.1 ... etc. This is the default ip address of the router.
Dave
All I get is 'Destination host unreachable'

Also check your network settings. Control Panel/Network connections - double click the wireless lan connection. Ensure it is enabled. Then click 'Internet Protocol' then 'Properties'. Ensure that everything is set to pick up addresses etc automatically.
Dave
Yup, everything set to auto

Check your Internet Explorer settings. Tools/Internet Options/Connections. Ensure it is set the same as the PC that works ...
Dave
Don't really understand what could be different.

Can you use IE to see the router? Typre the ip address (192.168.1.1) into the address bar and hit return. The router login screen should appear.
'Inernet Explorer could not open the search page' is all I can get.

The router used to display about 4 different networks to connect to - all from the one router (from dodgy attempts in the past). Whenever I setup a wireless network with the windows wizard, nothing new is displayed under 'Wireless Network Connection Properties'.

Could anyone maybe take me through the wireless setup. I tried using a USB dongle 9on the wizard page), but apparently my version of Windows (on the laptop) isn't compatible...

Any more advice would be greatfully received
Old 29 September 2005, 02:22 PM
Rusty.
Scooby Regular

Try hardwiring the Laptop into the router with an ethernet cable just to confirm you can get on the internet with the laptop, albeit it non-wirelessly.

Does this work?