Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

chk disk

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2005, 09:18 PM
nicku72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chk disk

My pc has asked me to do a chk disc as i have had a few blue screens how do i do this on win xp pro???
Old 25 September 2005, 09:28 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nicku72
My pc has asked me to do a chk disc as i have had a few blue screens how do i do this on win xp pro???
You mean chkdsk. It's basically the scandisk you find in the tools section when you right click the hard drive in 'My Computer', Properties.
Although if you are getting BSDs then it may mean your hard disk is on it's last legs. Maybe time to back up all of your data before it's too late.

The other alternative if you cannot boot up is to get your Win XP CD and put this into the CD/DVD Rom drive. Boot up from the CD and when prompted go to repair console. Once you get to the c:\ prompt type: chkdsk c: /f and press <ENTER> key.

Good luck.
Old 25 September 2005, 09:29 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

TYPE CHKDSK /R IF YOU WANT TO FIX THE PROBLEMS AT THE SAME TIME
Old 25 September 2005, 09:32 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by minted_aye
TYPE CHKDSK /R IF YOU WANT TO FIX THE PROBLEMS AT THE SAME TIME
Umm. chkdsk /r is the same as /f. According to doing a chkdsk /?

Either is good.
Old 25 September 2005, 09:34 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

sure but the /f = fix is not a command under xp pro I am afraid its /r

Originally Posted by jpor
Umm. chkdsk /r is the same as /f. According to doing a chkdsk /?

Either is good.
Old 25 September 2005, 09:37 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

sure but the /f = fix is not a command under xp pro I am afraid its /r
Yes it is! go to START-> run -> type: cmd press<ENTER>, in cmd type chkdsk /? press <ENTER> it's listed. Also used it recently on a nieghbours PC when I had to fix their PC using the Recovery Console on XP Pro.

Last edited by jpor; 25 September 2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 25 September 2005, 09:58 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

That is correct but you cannot run this command in the state you told our fellow poster have a look here to see why http://support.microsoft.com/kb/218461/EN-US/

the command is /r I am afraid, I have done it a 1000 times, just trying to be helpful to the guy

Yes it is! go to START-> run -> type: cmd press<ENTER>, in cmd type chkdsk /? press <ENTER> it's listed. Also used it recently on a nieghbours PC when I had to fix their PC using the Recovery Console on XP Pro.
Old 25 September 2005, 10:09 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

That is correct but you cannot run this command in the state you told our fellow poster have a look here to see why http://support.microsoft.com/kb/218461/EN-US/

the command is /r I am afraid, I have done it a 1000 times, just trying to be helpful to the guy
So Am I. It mentions in the link that chkdsk /F is also used. Besides the link points to a Windows 2000 scenario. Not an XP one. I do realise that XP uses NT 5.1 and is in the NT family of windows.

I take it you come on these forums to make trouble? I see you have already tried it on in another thread here: http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...9&page=1&pp=20

I hope the webmaster is looking in on this forum.
Old 25 September 2005, 10:17 PM
nicku72
Scooby Regular

so what have i got to do?? Please help...
Old 25 September 2005, 10:19 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

Come on my friend that was un-called for, boot of an xp disk and run the command you mention, no I am not here to make trouble, But I have an opinion and if I am correct then I will say so I am not going to change my mind because you posted a previous thread and could not care less who is watching I have done nothing wrong apart from express an opinion., go boot your xp disk come back later and there will be no hard feelings.

The guy is looking for help and he would get an error the way you have told him, thats all, no need to start something from nothing is there, just try for yourself.

So Am I. It mentions in the link that chkdsk /F is also used. Besides the link points to a Windows 2000 scenario. Not an XP one. I do realise that XP uses NT 5.1 and is in the NT family of windows.

I take it you come on these forums to make trouble? I see you have already tried it on in another thread here: http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...9&page=1&pp=20

I hope the webmaster is looking in on this forum.
Old 25 September 2005, 10:22 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

boot of the cd as per the previous post from our friend, run his command chkdsk /f if this fails then run chkdsk /r this will repair your windows
best of luck,, once in windows right click your c drive properties/tools/ and defrag your volume

so what have i got to do?? Please help...
Old 25 September 2005, 10:29 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Come on my friend that was un-called for, boot of an xp disk and run the command you mention, no I am not here to make trouble, But I have an opinion and if I am correct then I will say so I am not going to change my mind because you posted a previous thread and could not care less who is watching I have done nothing wrong apart from express an opinion., go boot your xp disk come back later and there will be no hard feelings.

The guy is looking for help and he would get an error the way you have told him, thats all, no need to start something from nothing is there, just try for yourself.
My intention was not to get someone in trouble.
I too am giving my opinion on how to resolve the problem from what I have used from experience. I do have over 13 years technical experience using both MS & UNIX Operating Systems, so I am not a mong. Anyway sorry to have judged you from the previous Thread.
Nicku72 go with what I have first described with the Win XP CD bootup then use Minted_aye's method with a chkdsk /r. But I would strongly suggest a Backup of any data you may want to keep just in-case the Disk gives up.
Old 25 September 2005, 10:44 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the apology, I too have been in computers like yourself, dating back to the early ibm when the bios was booted from a disk.

I too have much experience on MS including all the server software, and years on sun / cobalt raq servers, msql and php, to name a few, anyway I think we got of on the wrong foot and I am sure other members will need our advice at some time.

My intention was not to get someone in trouble.
I too am giving my opinion on how to resolve the problem from what I have used from experience. I do have over 13 years technical experience using both MS & UNIX Operating Systems, so I am not a mong. Anyway sorry to have judged you from the previous Thread.
Nicku72 go with what I have first described with the Win XP CD bootup then use Minted_aye's method with a chkdsk /r. But I would strongly suggest a Backup of any data you may want to keep just in-case the Disk gives up.
Old 26 September 2005, 07:18 AM
nicku72
Scooby Regular

Morning all.. Did a chkdsk this morning by through the props in c drive and did it on the next boot up and it did it. Cheers for your help....
Old 26 September 2005, 08:32 AM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

Thats excellent news, all the best

Morning all.. Did a chkdsk this morning by through the props in c drive and did it on the next boot up and it did it. Cheers for your help....
Old 26 September 2005, 10:51 PM
King RA
BANNED

/r is an extended version of /f which checks the entire hard drive for bad sectors. HTH.