Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

HDD encrytion

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2005, 04:24 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HDD encrytion

anyone using any HDD encrytion stuff? how easy/fast is it? need it coz users been losing laptops!
Old 23 September 2005, 04:29 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Are you talking encrypting the whole hd or just a partition ?
Have a look at pgp desktop

Richard
Old 25 September 2005, 01:15 AM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

In Windows XP, right click on a folder, then click 'advanced', then click 'encrypt contents to secure data'.
It uses 128+ bit encryption so is uncrackable. Only the user who encrypted the files can read them.
Easy and it's free!
Old 25 September 2005, 09:47 AM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

encryption on xp is a nightmare if your drive ever crashed and you forgot to backup etc due to owner rights and permissions + encryption you cannot normally recover your data so be warned "its well documented fact see the microsoft forums", the best device is an encryption device, normally in the form of a usb dongle cost is around £15-£30, without it in the machine it would be no use to anyone, I have used them on many occasions, HP etc now do them in the form of finger print recognition, much the same thing

Last edited by minted_aye; 25 September 2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old 25 September 2005, 10:30 AM
smokebelch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suba
anyone using any HDD encrytion stuff? how easy/fast is it? need it coz users been losing laptops!
The bank I work for use "Safeboot" on their mobile devices. (http://www.safeboot.com/)
It encrypts the whole HDD and will NOT BOOT unless the user authenticates BEFORE the OS loads.

It has centralised management etc and strong encryption.
It works permanently in the background encrypting ALL data as its written and is transparent to the users .

Beware though, as it can cause hassle etc at rebuild time

Last edited by smokebelch; 26 September 2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 25 September 2005, 10:32 AM
smokebelch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin Greeley
In Windows XP, right click on a folder, then click 'advanced', then click 'encrypt contents to secure data'.
It uses 128+ bit encryption so is uncrackable. Only the user who encrypted the files can read them.
Easy and it's free!
Its also childsplay to get around the encryption.
Windows encryption sucks monkey dung
Old 25 September 2005, 11:34 AM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

I am afraid it is not and if you can get round it easily, then I suggest you contact Bill Gates @ Microsoft for a job, I refer you to a recent test
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1159860,00.asp

Originally Posted by smokebelch
Its also childsplay to get around the encryption.
Windows encryption sucks monkey dung
Old 25 September 2005, 01:55 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

What about having laptops with removable harddrives on docking stations.
Old 25 September 2005, 02:47 PM
smokebelch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by minted_aye
I am afraid it is not and if you can get round it easily, then I suggest you contact Bill Gates @ Microsoft for a job, I refer you to a recent test
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1159860,00.asp
Dear sir/pleb

I work for a bank in a 3rd line capacity and can tell you that there are ways of getting around windows encryption.
You do not have to crack it ... merely side-step it using authentication.

I know this because I have done it more than once.

Just because you have your hands tied, doesn't mean we all do
Old 25 September 2005, 02:57 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dear Mrs Hacker

1stly do not call me a pleb just because my opinion differs from yours, 2ndly what size of boot does your bollock's take?

My hands are not tied either, I merely pointed you to a test from a well known mag, if this was the case then I am sure the conclusion would agree with you, which it did not, now grow up and take a chill pill, no wonder our bank charges are high with muppets like you working for them.

Stick to the post and dont get personal.....

Dear sir/pleb

I work for a bank in a 3rd line capacity and can tell you that there are ways of getting around windows encryption.
You do not have to crack it ... merely side-step it using authentication.

I know this because I have done it more than once.

Just because you have your hands tied, doesn't mean we all do
Old 25 September 2005, 03:10 PM
smokebelch
Scooby Regular

Dear Mrs Hacker

1stly do not call me a pleb just because my opinion differs from yours, 2ndly what size of boot does your bollock's take?

My hands are not tied either, I merely pointed you to a test from a well known mag, if this was the case then I am sure the conclusion would agree with you, which it did not, now grow up and take a chill pill, no wonder our bank charges are high with muppets like you working for them.

Stick to the post and dont get personal.....
You did not "point out" anything to me.
You whole heartedly stated that I was wrong just because you spent 2 minutes surfing around looking into something that you dont really undertstand.
You then gave a childish sarcy comment about approaching Bill Gates.

I think you need to look at yourself before accusing others.
And by the way .... try picking a subject thats a bit easier when accusing professionals of being wrong.

For the record .... windows has strong encryption algorithms that are hard to break.
They are also easy to get around using authentication ... something very easy with the right tools.
As this thread is about ensuring company data is secure, I feel this is valid ... as do thousands of other IT proffesionals. Which is why there are many third party utilities that the IT world uses.

I feel the originator of this thread already knows this which is why they asked for recommended utilities in the first place.

Any numpty with a PC knows windows has encryption built in

Last edited by smokebelch; 25 September 2005 at 03:13 PM.
Old 25 September 2005, 03:25 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

I was not being childish about the Bill Gates comment; I was serious, professionals working in a Bank? well maybe, I only have an MBA, been listed in the Who's Who's and just a “few” 13 qualifications to my name, from pneumatics to fussy logic, you are obviously a much better more qualified person than me, and like to try and make persons feel small, and I take my hat of to you, you must be very popular at work….. Next time you make a comment try farting first to clear your throat. I suggest you leave it at that, but I think you are the type of person that always wants the last word and you can have it on me, “Bollocks”

You did not "point out" anything to me.
You whole heartedly stated that I was wrong just because you spent 2 minutes surfing around looking into something that you dont really undertstand.
You then gave a childish sarcy comment about approaching Bill Gates.

I think you need to look at yourself before accusing others.
And by the way .... try picking a subject thats a bit easier when accusing professionals of being wrong.

For the record .... windows has strong encryption algorithms that are hard to break.
They are also easy to get around using authentication ... something very easy with the right tools.
As this thread is about ensuring company data is secure, I feel this is valid ... as do thousands of other IT proffesionals. Which is why there are many third party utilities that the IT world uses.

I feel the originator of this thread already knows this which is why they asked for recommended utilities in the first place.

Any numpty with a PC knows windows has encryption
Old 25 September 2005, 03:43 PM
smokebelch
Scooby Regular

I was not being childish about the Bill Gates comment; I was serious, professionals working in a Bank? well maybe, I only have an MBA, been listed in the Who's Who's and just a “few” 13 qualifications to my name, from pneumatics to fussy logic, you are obviously a much better more qualified person than me, and like to try and make persons feel small, and I take my hat of to you, you must be very popular at work….. Next time you make a comment try farting first to clear your throat. I suggest you leave it at that, but I think you are the type of person that always wants the last word and you can have it on me, “Bollocks”
You're a funny guy
you may have fussy (or should it actually be fuzzy ... oh well you're the expert) qualifications, but as you stated yourself ... you are not an expert in IT.
Much to your dislike it seems.
You were wrong ... get over it.

As for those liking the "last word" ...
lets see what crap you come back with this time

EDIT:

btw ... on the subject of trying to make people feel small...
wasnt it you that said that I was wrong????.

I made a statement ... YOU went on the attack

Last edited by smokebelch; 25 September 2005 at 03:50 PM.
Old 25 September 2005, 04:10 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that you fussy Guy or did I mean Fuzzy, nothing gets past a genius like you, HHmmmmm, I am not an expert in IT, I am afraid only a poor humble consultant, in a poor Microsoft partner program,

The money Bill Gates spent on development of the XP EFS, he must not be able to sleep at night knowing there is such a person as you out there, Working 3rd line in a bank!!! HHmmmm.

I tell you what, you post an advert in the Times with your theory, if your ***** are as big as you think, then we will speak to you after your **** has been reamed out by the MS legal dept, come on BIG BOLLOCKS I am happy to pay for the advert no problem, in your name of course….

Also its Professionals and not proffesionals

Put my money were you shi* sorry mouth is… OR SHUT THE FU*K UP

You're a funny guy
you may have fussy (or should it actually be fuzzy ... oh well you're the expert) qualifications, but as you stated yourself ... you are not an expert in IT.
Much to your dislike it seems.
You were wrong ... get over it.

As for those liking the "last word" ...
lets see what crap you come back with this time

EDIT:

btw ... on the subject of trying to make people feel small...
wasnt it you that said that I was wrong????.

I made a statement ... YOU went on the attack

Last edited by minted_aye; 25 September 2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old 25 September 2005, 04:21 PM
smokebelch
Scooby Regular

A consultant recommending windows encryption as a solution to laptop theft

Now Ive heard it all

You have issues you silly angry little man and live in a make believe world
Old 25 September 2005, 04:25 PM
smokebelch
Scooby Regular

Also its Professionals and not proffesionals
Touche
Old 25 September 2005, 04:29 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

Did not recommend, just did not agree with the post you made to a Chap on here as I quote,

“It’s also childsplay to get around the encryption.
Windows encryption sucks monkey dung”

Now get your facts correct before leaving pointless comments, You are wasting my time and other forum members, even harassing me by sending me private messages, if you visit any Kent Meeting come and make yourself known to me, and I will be happy to discuss, then we will see how big your ***** really are. Gob****e..........

A consultant recommending windows encryption as a solution to laptop theft

Now Ive heard it all

You have issues you silly angry little man and live in a make believe world
Old 25 September 2005, 04:38 PM
smokebelch
Scooby Regular

Did not recommend, just did not agree with the post you made to a Chap on here as I quote,

“It’s also childsplay to get around the encryption.
Windows encryption sucks monkey dung”

Now get your facts correct before leaving pointless comments, You are wasting my time and other forum members, even harassing me by sending me private messages, if you visit any Kent Meeting come and make yourself known to me, and I will be happy to discuss, then we will see how big your ***** really are. Gob****e..........
Its a date NERD
Old 25 September 2005, 04:55 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

NERD ! Yeah whatever my friend, as Bill gates right hand man and second in line for the banks of England’s top job why drive a wrx? Surely a sti ppp would be more to your liking and wealth, that’s if you are still not living with your mother of course. Or maybe paying for a sex change for yourself. Now stop wasting my time with your dicky comments, or save them for someone who gives a ****….

Its a date NERD

Last edited by minted_aye; 25 September 2005 at 05:05 PM.
Old 25 September 2005, 06:51 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

gotta love this thread. i am a believer that no encryption is unbreakable. all you need is time.
Old 25 September 2005, 07:11 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

Correct

Originally Posted by bigsinky
gotta love this thread. i am a believer that no encryption is unbreakable. all you need is time.
Old 26 September 2005, 01:26 AM
smokebelch
Scooby Regular

NERD ! Yeah whatever my friend, as Bill gates right hand man and second in line for the banks of England’s top job why drive a wrx? Surely a sti ppp would be more to your liking and wealth.
Err ... I drive a wrx because I need a wagon for my family.
Does that meet with your approval?

Whats your excuse for this http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=459247 given that you were mentioned in who's who blah blah.
Surely a consultant could afford more?

Also heres a little tip .... try not to get too personal. It makes you sound small and bitter.
Old 26 September 2005, 08:51 AM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

Also heres a little tip .... try not to get too personal. It makes you sound small and bitter, "Yeah Right on you are the man"

Yes just sold my 2002 E39 Alpina B10 V8 and my Jaguar XJR the jag which I had not driven for 3 months I sold on ebay nice touch... me old mate "pictures and request" and bought the STI from the same garage that bought my Alpina, currently I am awaiting a particular car which should be here Oct but I am now told March next year, thats all, I enjoy driving the sti so will be keeping it in any case, as for the family I also have one, and use an A4 2.5 TDI Avant Quattro sport to cart them around, and have nothing else to say on the subject,

As for the tread you work in a bank and asking such a question? bartering has been around a long time, I am sure you did it yourself at some stage. if that make's me poor, and you like to think that thats fine by me.

now you have a nice day at work.

Err ... I drive a wrx because I need a wagon for my family.
Does that meet with your approval?

Whats your excuse for this http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=459247 given that you were mentioned in who's who blah blah.
Surely a consultant could afford more?

Also heres a little tip .... try not to get too personal. It makes you sound small and bitter.
Old 26 September 2005, 09:20 AM
smokebelch
Scooby Regular

Mate ... you have really lost the plot
Do you think you are the only one with 2 cars?
I only posted that about your sti because you attacked my onwership of the WRX

To be honest, you sound like you're about 16 years old the way you make all the snidey vicious remarks.

I have nothing else to say to you

Last edited by smokebelch; 26 September 2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old 26 September 2005, 09:43 AM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

Talking

Now to be honest your question was about why am I driving an STI Bla Bla Bla, and you were given a suitable reply and justification to, as I said before keep your comments for someone who gives a ****....

You have a family like most but with such vast wealth and knowledge, and with everyone around you being a pleb, just found a little strange for a man of your stature, not to be driving a Bentley GT or DB9 that was all, nothing wrong with a WRX as a family car, nothing wrong at all.

I have nothing else to say to you[/QUOTE]

Thank God for that..........peace at last.................

Mate ... you have really lost the plot
Do you think you are the only one with 2 cars?
I only posted that about your sti because you attacked my onwership of the WRX

To be honest, you sound like you're about 16 years old the way you make all the snidey vicious remarks.

I have nothing else to say to you

Last edited by minted_aye; 26 September 2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old 26 September 2005, 10:26 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Anyone else for popcorn?