Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

What causes high attenuation on a telephone line?

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2005, 09:55 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello mate,

Do you know how far from the exchange you are ?

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=technical
Old 11 September 2005, 01:42 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

This is not entirely dependant on how close you are, but it is still a good benchmark.
As an silly example, you could be 'fibred' all the way to your local cab 10 miles away and get a better quailty than being on overhead aluminium cable, rubbing through trees in the wind, when you live 500 yds from the telephone exchange.

I have had this problem and in my case I am on the outward edge of the current reach technology for 1mb BB service, (I cannot go higher as yet). However, in the past I have lived MUCH closer to the exchange and suffered because of old sections of cable that neede replacing, which were on the route to my house.

My advice? Report your line as 'intermittently noisy'. Do this a couple of times and it may prompt them do either try and re-provide a 'pair' to your house, or force them to try and fault any line loss on your cable route. No gaurantee, but it could be worth a try? It worked for me!

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!
Old 13 September 2005, 01:24 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Just a quickie...and maybe stating the obv, have you tried plugging ur BB into the main bt outlet in your home.
Also, have you put a filter in-line with your actual phone ?
Faxes can also interfere.
Old 25 July 2011, 01:25 PM
DarkTezza
Scooby Newbie

Default Attenuation

yes, 58dB is very high, i have only learnt myself recently that it can be the cause of a lot of drop-outs, as for them lowering your speed, they are not actually "lowering" your speed as such but they boost the signal their end ( at the exchange" to make sure it reaches your house etc, but to do this your speed ends up suffereing unfortunately, as for their "boosting" of signal this is the SNR Margin (dB), but my attenuation is only around 31.5, but it should be more like 25, atm i am still currently trying to sort it out, but hopefully i have helped.

attenuation is basically other things on the phone line that can be "screwing with your line" as i say lol, as for the correct terminology it is more like "interference", but good luck and all the best
Old 25 July 2011, 01:33 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Breakdown of the line and ingress of moisture can cause attenuation on lines. It is a daily ballache on station, the lines and ducting are so old we lose lines all the time.
Old 25 July 2011, 08:55 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

What router do you have

if you have a Thompson, you may be able to use dmt,exe to tweak the attenuation....

My line is supposedly a 1MB line according to some ISP's

Ive regularly had 2MB..... with a bit of tweakery 3mb, which is what BT say i should get

Happy bunny

Mart
Old 25 July 2011, 10:35 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Wow - did ADSL exist back in 2005??

mb
Old 26 July 2011, 09:51 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DarkTezza
yes, 58dB is very high, i have only learnt myself recently that it can be the cause of a lot of drop-outs, as for them lowering your speed, they are not actually "lowering" your speed as such but they boost the signal their end ( at the exchange" to make sure it reaches your house etc, but to do this your speed ends up suffereing unfortunately, as for their "boosting" of signal this is the SNR Margin (dB), but my attenuation is only around 31.5, but it should be more like 25, atm i am still currently trying to sort it out, but hopefully i have helped.

attenuation is basically other things on the phone line that can be "screwing with your line" as i say lol, as for the correct terminology it is more like "interference", but good luck and all the best
Usually spammers that are responsible for resurrecting old threads but this user doesn't seem like he has anything to flog yet

Guess it just came up in a Google search and they thought they could help
Old 26 July 2011, 10:06 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

The way I understand it, line attenuation on it's own shouldn't cause dropouts. Surely the SNR would play a key part in that. Of course the SNR can be increased to make any connection more stable (with a decrease in sync speed).

The line attenuation reported by the OP is certainly not the highest I have seen and I know plenty of people higher that have stable connections.
Old 27 July 2011, 06:01 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Correct - the ISP should be able to increase the S/N ratio to improve line stability.

First thing to try is plugging the router directly into the master socket with the front faceplate removed. Don't forget the microfilter! This disconnects all the extension sockets. Check the router stats and record the line attenuation and S/N ratio. S/N ratio should be at least 6dB.

Next replace the front faceplate on the master socket and try the router in the socket on the faceplate. Make sure nothing is connected to any of the extension sockets. Check the router stats; the line attenuation & S/N ratio should be the same as before.

Ideally the router should stay plugged into the master socket but if you do need to use an extension socket, plug the router into that socket and check the stats again.

Now that the router performance is stable you can start plugging phones, sky boxes, etc into the phone extensions. Only plug one at a time, always use a microfilter and always check the router stats after each item.

If you encounter problems or the router stats change significantly you should start by checking all your micro-filters, most are cheap & nasty and the capacitors degrade over time. Try and get a known good one.

Lastly it's possible that the ring wire (terminal #3, orange with white) is picking up interference. This could be from DECT cordless phones, microwave oven, fluorescent lights, etc. Try disconnecting this wire at the consumer side of the master socket faceplate and at all extension sockets. It won't have any effect on modern phones.

Hope this helps, Mark

Last edited by Dark; 27 July 2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 27 July 2011, 06:08 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

question is where's b2z gone?
Old 28 July 2011, 07:32 AM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone see him on XBLIVE lately ??
Old 02 August 2011, 03:17 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

dissing orange /white may work if you are using micro filters sounds daft but check sky has a filter as they are hidden behind tele and rarely pulled out can be caused by as stated water in u/g joints (h/r connections) even 100yd of aly in u/g try to get special faults investigation involved as they have access to more advanced testers and are given more time to check as dark said always check at main socket and good luck persistence pays off

Last edited by shooter007; 02 August 2011 at 03:19 PM.