Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Broadband gone crazy.. time for cisco's at home!

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2005, 02:08 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broadband gone crazy.. time for cisco's at home!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4749987.stm

Maybe it's time to get a cisco router at home!!

David
Old 08 August 2005, 02:15 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ace, I read on adsl guide that Japan's typical connection is 50 Meg download and 3Meg upload. I hope ADSL users will be getting 8 meg very soon. I know ADSL 2 is being tested in london soon as well
Old 08 August 2005, 02:15 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I already have one, Linksys!

Good news on the 10meg, my 2mb link seems a bit slow when using Google Earth.
Old 08 August 2005, 03:28 PM
ChrisB

BT are already testing 8Mbps MaxDSL on a few exchanges B20. 8Mbps is the limit of ADSL, ADSL2+ supports up to 24Mbps if you are within 2km of the exchange.
Old 08 August 2005, 03:31 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Unbundling the local loop will free restrictions on BT hardware. Providers will put in their own kit and you'll connect to that instead.
Old 08 August 2005, 04:12 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

You've answered your own question b2zero - it's a cost exercise which will be passed onto the customer........... <cynical mode fused into ON mode!!!!>

Dan
Old 08 August 2005, 04:53 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeh for LLU you will end up having to pay for a phone service from the ISP as well, to get 8mbps and beyond, probably.
Old 08 August 2005, 10:47 PM
forseti
Scooby Newbie

I have the bulldog 8Mbps service. They are a bit cut price on the whole support arrangements, but if you know what you are doing then prepare for constant 850KBps download speed. I download laps of track days which are around 100MB in just over two minutes

Also have registered interest with the first adsl2 service which starts soon (hopefully) http://www.bethere.co.uk/ which should be fun
Old 09 August 2005, 09:06 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

LOL - You want BT to do the hard work and install the kit ....but let other ISPs take the profit !?

Its not just the kit in exchanges - suitably sized backhaul links are needed to service those 8Mb+ DSL line, and they're not provided over 4Km of crap old copper like the DSL, that takea real fibre over long distances and thats the expensive part. It will come but only as people are willing to pay for it. We're going to need some more innovative services than "just internet" before that happens on a widespread scale.

Unfortunately the government is quite content to leave this to market forces. They've squandered everty oppurtunity to invest in national infrastructure.
Old 09 August 2005, 11:41 AM
King RA
BANNED

Sweded has a massive fibre running it's countries lengh this is what gives them their high speeds. New blocks of flats in Japan/Korea e.t.c are built with 100mbps connections into the buildings, sick.
Old 09 August 2005, 11:50 AM
Alec
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by King RA
Sweded has a massive fibre running it's countries lengh this is what gives them their high speeds. New blocks of flats in Japan/Korea e.t.c are built with 100mbps connections into the buildings, sick.
I belive BT wanted to put fibre in some years ago but Offcom / HMG told them not to.
Old 09 August 2005, 12:12 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

i also believe the ground rates for optical fibre is much higher than copper wire. So its not just the initial cost of the cable.

EDIT: Ive just found the article, its not that optical fibre has higher rates, its that BT has reduced rates due to a negotiated rate with the government where other telecoms providers dont have this and pay a higher rate.

Mark

Last edited by NWMark; 09 August 2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09 August 2005, 01:11 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Just wish they would hurry up and finish their current upgrades...

Wheres my 2Mb NTL....
Old 09 August 2005, 05:02 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Is it really gonna make ScoobyNet load any faster than a 33.6Kbps modem though?
Old 09 August 2005, 07:48 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by King RA
Sweded has a massive fibre running it's countries lengh this is what gives them their high speeds.
When I was involved in rollout of the BT Colossus core IP network (some years ago now) it was the fastest in Europe. I believe that with subsequent upgrades that is still true. And I believe it is still vastly under-utilized. Of course, you need to get fat backhaul links from the exchanges to the nearest core node...

It's not just "having the fibre" because the theoretical bandwidth on a bit of fibre (particularly with DWDM) is virtually limitless. It's having the high speed line drivers on each end, which cost a fortune. At the time I was doing this stuff, the STM-16 POS cards for a Cisco GSR were in excess of £80k each. And Lucent used to take the p1ss out of them for using cheap lasers IIRC the Lucent Wavestar DWDM boxes (well, cabinets really) were a lot more expensive. Even so, a 12-port GSR populated with £80k linecards in each slot was a pretty dear piece of kit.

Last edited by carl; 09 August 2005 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09 August 2005, 11:11 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl
When I was involved in rollout of the BT Colossus core IP network (some years ago now) it was the fastest in Europe. I believe that with subsequent upgrades that is still true. And I believe it is still vastly under-utilized. Of course, you need to get fat backhaul links from the exchanges to the nearest core node...

It's not just "having the fibre" because the theoretical bandwidth on a bit of fibre (particularly with DWDM) is virtually limitless. It's having the high speed line drivers on each end, which cost a fortune. At the time I was doing this stuff, the STM-16 POS cards for a Cisco GSR were in excess of £80k each. And Lucent used to take the p1ss out of them for using cheap lasers IIRC the Lucent Wavestar DWDM boxes (well, cabinets really) were a lot more expensive. Even so, a 12-port GSR populated with £80k linecards in each slot was a pretty dear piece of kit.
Id go along with that. I read an article somewhere that mentioned something about a sea of fibre running under the main rail lines throughout the UK install ed in anticipation of a massive boom. Most of which is currently unused.

Like you say the expensive bit is the cards for the ADMs etc carrying those fibres from point to point and the routers or whatever at each end providing the IP access.

When I first started work 6 years ago a customer who had an E3 internet line was impressive. Nowadays customers are running STM1/4 and GigE connections all over the place.

Simon.
Old 10 August 2005, 12:52 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

When I was involved in rollout of the BT Colossus core IP network (some years ago now) it was the fastest in Europe. I believe that with subsequent upgrades that is still true. And I believe it is still vastly under-utilize
Because much of the DSL traffic doesnt touch it - stays on ATM until delivered (ATM - that dead technology )
Then the MPLS was built as another high bandwidth core next to both the ATM + Colossus.

Only with 21CN will BT converge on a single core IP platform.
Old 10 August 2005, 12:56 AM
cong
Scooby Regular

any way why the hell does any1 want to go with ntl anyway!!????
Old 10 August 2005, 09:35 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alec
I belive BT wanted to put fibre in some years ago but Offcom / HMG told them not to.
Absolutely true - back in the early 90s - BT offered to cable up the entire country - fibre optic to the doorstep basically - to every house in the country in return for rights to market multi media services to home users. BT were prepared to swallow the entire cost - est at 15 billion at the time. Someone at BT had seen the future, unfortunately, someone in the government had not and they refused. We had the chance to have the most up-to-date infrastructure in the world with unlimited capacity

FT have been rolling out ADSL2 in France for sometime. They have about 60% coverage. Price for a 15Mb line is about 30 Euros a month. We will see prices similar to that in this country, but it will take time.

Chris
Old 10 August 2005, 10:09 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Chris L
Absolutely true - back in the early 90s - BT offered to cable up the entire country - fibre optic to the doorstep basically - to every house in the country in return for rights to market multi media services to home users. BT were prepared to swallow the entire cost - est at 15 billion at the time. Someone at BT had seen the future, unfortunately, someone in the government had not and they refused. We had the chance to have the most up-to-date infrastructure in the world with unlimited capacity
I don't think I wanted to know that!
Old 10 August 2005, 10:31 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

BT did fibre up to some developments (in Milton Keynes, IIRC). The irony is that those houses now can't get ADSL...
Old 10 August 2005, 10:33 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dsmith
Then the MPLS was built as another high bandwidth core next to both the ATM + Colossus
Indeed. IIRC, the plan was to make the IP core "just another VPN" on the MPLS network. At the time I left there weren't that many MPLS nodes, though, resulting in some expensive long-lining over ATM to get to them.
Old 10 August 2005, 10:52 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

I must be getting old... my mates got an 8mb pipe and talking about ADSL 2 with 24mb... scary
Old 10 August 2005, 05:30 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

TopBanana - tell me about it. It depresses me eveytime I tell someone about it. All this BS about 'e government' etc etc - if they actually had a few people who understood the technology - not just today, but where it is going, then they would have let BT do it

ATM ain't that dead - it is still widely used - mostly by carriers and backbone networks, but it is still around. Ah, MPLS - don't get me started on this one. Our techy guys have been working on the security of MPLS for the last few months - can't say too much, because there is a white paper coming out soon. Let's just say, it isn't as secure as Cisco and others would like you to believe....

It is also true that BT did start a limited fibre roll out, but then they also started using cheaper aluminium wiring in a lot of Midlands exchanges which pretty much buggered the chances of those people have ADSL too!
Old 11 August 2005, 10:29 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by carl
BT did fibre up to some developments (in Milton Keynes, IIRC). The irony is that those houses now can't get ADSL...
Very true, there's an estate in Aylesbury - residents will try to tell you it's a village, not a housing estate - that has fibre to the door, they have wireless broadband now, but had nothing for years.
Old 11 August 2005, 10:48 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

They should've funded the upgrade from lottery money. It's all well saying BT would have swallowed the cost 20yrs ago, but they wouldn't then readily hand it back too everyone now. I wouldn't expect any commercial company to do that.

The problem in the past was BT's monopoly. It's only in the past 10yrs with cable that there's been enough competition to force them to cut telephone bills, installation fees, rental costs, etc.. Now with LLU, ISP's have forced BT to cut prices on ADSL and offer more bandwidth to compete with cable.

If BT still ran the show, I very much doubt we'd have all the bandwidth we have today. And even then we still fall behind a lot of countries in Europe and the ROTW.

Britain should be setting the example, not following it. Europe regulations will be taking away the 'Great' part of Britain before we know it

Quick Reply: Broadband gone crazy.. time for cisco's at home!