Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Copying from Sony MiniDV to computer

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2005, 06:51 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copying from Sony MiniDV to computer

Chaps

This seems a really dumb question, but what's the easiest way to copy what I have recorded on a Mini DV tape on my new Sony Handcam onto my desktop? Just like digital camera's, I want to save what is on the tape onto the PC for obvious reasons, but the brochure talks about copying to Video CD and the like - not simply being able to copy what is on the MiniDV to the PC as a digital MPEG video.

I have the software that came with it (Sony Picture Package) but anyone using this or any ideas?

Sorry for being a chump!

Andy
Old 03 August 2005, 07:12 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

My Panny just connects over USB and is controlled by the PC software, which it rips the scenes to AVI's etc. You sure it doesn't conenct up like that?
Old 03 August 2005, 09:02 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

It connects via the USB and sees everything. But the only way I can get it to connect to the USB is in the normal mode (Camera/Tape) but not in Play mode - when in play mode it disconnects the USB, so I don;t see how I can play and thus record onto the PC.

Anyone using Picture Package at all - what should I be using? It seems like it should be AutoVideo, but this just plays some sample image and I have no idea how to change this to my own image?

Ohhhh Bogger!
Old 03 August 2005, 09:08 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

OK, it says I should use Video Capturing Tool to transfer the entire conetnts of a tape to my computer. Which is fine, but how do I do this as it just seems to want to do USB streaming?
Old 03 August 2005, 09:09 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

I have a Canon Mini DV camera, and i use windows movie maker to upload the recordings on the tape to the pc. I connect the camera up to the PC using a fireware cable.
Old 19 August 2005, 08:17 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Just use Pinnacle I have a Sony IP5 and got Movieshaker which was Sh*te in the extreme, went onto Ebay got pinnacle sefor a tenner and away we go. Easy as 123, plug in, load up pinnacle and press play on the video icon viola

Roo
Old 19 August 2005, 08:40 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Messed around with my Sony quite a bit before getting it to work. Tried various freeware and it all worked but I ended up using Windows Media Player as that was easiest. Was really dissapointed with the quality because it was very jerky. Moved to using Firewire rather than USB and that fixed it up. Have since moved to Mac/OSX and that is even better.