Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Advice on restoring to a backup

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2005, 11:48 PM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on restoring to a backup

My PC has been acting up since some viruses got loose on it. At the time of the virus attack, my PC was fully up-to-date, with XP Pro, SP2, all the latest XP patches, latest version of Zonealarm, virus defs, etc., etc.

I followed removal advice for the virus and apparently my PC was then clean (according to a HijackThis log).

However, it now shuts down on its own and closes programs intermittently. These problems didn't happen before. They may not be related to the viruses, but I'd rather not take a chance.

I want to restore to a backup made using the XP Backup utility, but I need advice on whether or not it will actually restore my PC to the exact state it was in, at the time the backup was made, i.e. the system, as opposed to just data and applications.

Can anyone advise about this?
Thanks.
Old 31 July 2005, 05:06 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shawa
My PC has been acting up since some viruses got loose on it. At the time of the virus attack, my PC was fully up-to-date, with XP Pro, SP2, all the latest XP patches, latest version of Zonealarm, virus defs, etc., etc.

I followed removal advice for the virus and apparently my PC was then clean (according to a HijackThis log).

However, it now shuts down on its own and closes programs intermittently. These problems didn't happen before. They may not be related to the viruses, but I'd rather not take a chance.

I want to restore to a backup made using the XP Backup utility, but I need advice on whether or not it will actually restore my PC to the exact state it was in, at the time the backup was made, i.e. the system, as opposed to just data and applications.

Thanks.
Have you tried downloading athe 'stinger' tool from mcafees website? Best to boot into safemode and run it. That should find and remove the virus for you.

Failing that have you tried restoring from an XP save point?
Old 01 August 2005, 04:47 PM
Tall Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shawa

Thanks.
What kind of backup did you do? A complete backup that included the programs or just the system state (Registry etc)