Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Hardrive Running all the time ?

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2005, 04:06 PM
Pongo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardrive Running all the time ?

I have swithced my PC on today and even sitting on the desktop the hardrive is busy any ideas it just keeps on making that noise as if its busy doing something but i am not LOL i updated Stop Zilla add ware and spyware and pop up stopper last night ?

Pongo555
Old 01 August 2005, 04:10 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Virus Scanner???? Take a look at Task Manager and see what is using the Processor or Memory. Virus??? Try the "Stinger" virus scanner from Network Associates. This picks up common virus's.
Old 01 August 2005, 04:41 PM
Tall Paul
Scooby Regular

Another thing to do would be normal housekeeping. Check Temp folders are not full. Another check would be the page file. How many programs do you have running in the background? These can sometimes be seen in the task bar near the clock. The more icons you have the more programs are running. Try closing some of them down. Also check your startup folder for other programs that start during OS startup. Do you really need camera software to run at startup for example? Disabling these in MSCONFIG (Not in Windows 2k) can stop programs loading at startup and help boot times.
Old 01 August 2005, 04:56 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pongo555
I have swithced my PC on today and even sitting on the desktop the hardrive is busy any ideas it just keeps on making that noise as if its busy doing something but i am not LOL i updated Stop Zilla add ware and spyware and pop up stopper last night ?

Pongo555
Which operating system are you running?

As a guide for RAM needed just to run the operating system:

Win98/ME/2K = 64MB

XP = 128MB

As a rule x2 or more the RAM needed by the Operating system to run programs more smoothly. Remember the more programs you install and require running in the back ground the more RAM it takes up. If you have a fairly new PC then 512MB or 1GB RAM is the norm these days.

Also it maybe wise to try a defrag on your Hard Disk.