Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Linksys Wireless network Help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2005, 10:12 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Linksys Wireless network Help !!!

I have a Linksys WRT54GS Router and a WUSB54 wireless adapter. I can not configure my 2nd pc to connect to the internet...

Please help me...

I am running windows 2000 on both pc's. The status on the Link Information tab on the status window of the Linksis adapter software is 'You are connected to the access point, but the internet cannot be found'.

What should the settings be for the adapter ie IP addresses etc, should they be automatic or do you have to set the static IP addresses via the edit facility or do I need to change the properties under the network connection for TCP/IP settings...

Please help, my 2nd pc is hungry for internet access...
Old 28 July 2005, 03:23 PM
Tall Paul
Scooby Regular

Is your router a router/ADSL modem? If it just a router you will need to connect to an ADSL modem. If it is a modem as well, make sure you have the correct cables connected and that the modem cable plugs into the splitter (Splits the line between data and voice)
Also, check the settings page on your router and check if you have a username and password option for your ISP. Depending on who you use for the internet they may need a username and password to access the internet. (I use BTOPENWORLD and they don't require a username and password but others might)
If thios is all OK, try changing the channel that the wireless network operates on. Normally default is set to 11. Try changing it to 6 or changing it to one that works. I have a wireless router with a laptop card and a PC card. The laptop worked fine but the PC could not connect until I changed the channel!
Old 28 July 2005, 04:49 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I use Blueyonder, my broadband modem is a Surfboard 4100, I have connected this to my Linksys router via RJ45 to the internet port.

I have 4 ports at the back of the router, port 1 has been connected to the primary pc. The USB adapter is connected to the second pc.

I am using channel 11, I will change this and see what happens... however the adapter and router are talking... but not accessing internet.

I have given the various IP addresses and DNS and Gateways... but nothing happens...
Old 28 July 2005, 08:50 PM
Mr doo
Scooby Regular

Hi, Has the pack got helpline number with it. I recently purchased a Belkin set up for my laptop and pc. I couldn't get it working so phoned the helpline included on the pack, took a few minutes but they sorted the settings out . Took them minutes , i'd been messing about for ages. Hope this is of use,
Brian
Old 28 July 2005, 09:23 PM
Tall Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adeel.a
I use Blueyonder, my broadband modem is a Surfboard 4100, I have connected this to my Linksys router via RJ45 to the internet port.

I have 4 ports at the back of the router, port 1 has been connected to the primary pc. The USB adapter is connected to the second pc.

I am using channel 11, I will change this and see what happens... however the adapter and router are talking... but not accessing internet.

I have given the various IP addresses and DNS and Gateways... but nothing happens...
Have you been given a static IP address from Blueyonder or does your Router use something called NAT (Network Address Translation) Your Modem should be either configured with a public IP address (from Blueyonder) or it picks one up automatically.

You will need to make sure that the router can 'see' the modem. Is there anything in the routers set up screen that shows what is connected and what is not? My router has lights on the front that shows what is connected.

Failing that, call the support helpline for either Blueyonder or Linksys.
Old 29 July 2005, 09:39 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Have you rebooted the surfborard since connecting the router, if its like our ntl surfboard it only allows a single mac address to connect so needs rebooting each time its connected to another computer/router to clear the memory. Try power cycling the modem, then restart the linksys once all the modem lights are steady.