Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac Mini gets feature boost.

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2005, 02:22 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac Mini gets feature boost.

From Macworld

Mac mini now includes 512MB of memory as standard and features built-in wireless networking with AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth, and the ability to burn DVDs with a SuperDrive.
iBooks also get a similar update as well as a slightly quicker processor.

Old 26 July 2005, 02:30 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About time. Have you heard the storeis about the Macs using Intel chips? My brother saw one of the developer boxes in operation last week. Was a G5 case with a MicroATX board inside. Apparently it was running at 3.6GHz and blazingly fast in MacOS & Windows.

Stefan
Old 26 July 2005, 03:06 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

They aint stories, it's hard fact, was announced at the dev conference last month.

Got one of the dev MacIntel machines in the office. Looks like a G5 but it's not. As said, Intel chipset inside it. Run's pretty quickly too, very nice machine indeed. We've got it dual booting into Mac OS X 10.4.1 and SUSE Linux, and it seems more than happy. If I had my XP Pro CD on me, we'd put that on there as well.

Bear in mind this is a dev machine, so it's quick, but the final consumer machines will be more impressive than this. The new range of powerbooks based on intel chipsets will be very quick, which is just what Apple needs
Old 26 July 2005, 09:59 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was intentionally being vague as I didn't know how much was still Secret Squirrel material. Like you Markus they've had several dev boxes to play with.

Stefan
Old 27 July 2005, 09:47 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Maybe a stupid Q but will all the Apple machines be using the Dual core P4, so there won't be any dual processor Macs anymore?
Old 27 July 2005, 02:40 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Stefan,
Since Steve announced it, there's not much secret about it. Apple is, as always, discouraging developers from releasing benchmarks on the machines, however, it's known that people have the machines and pictures have been posted of them

Messiah,
The answer to that is... "maybe" no-one really knows what the final spec of the consumer machines is going to be, even as a developer we don't know. I would assume the desktop machines would be dual cores, makes sense, as Apple has the G5 as the fastest personal computer, so they'd want to maintain that. As for DP macs based on PPC architecture. There might be a final revision to the PCC model line, but that will be it. New macs as of next year will be Intel only versions.
The PPC line will still be supported for quite some time to come, hell, look at OS 9, it still is in use by many and current macs can run classic. This does end with Intel macs though, no classic support at all, which is a godsend, we can finally lie it to rest.