Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Why I am so crap?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2005, 11:05 AM
nakedjem
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why I am so crap?

What am i doing wrong in CSS. I play as much as possible usually with better players on better servers. I know i hit people and i know where to go, where to ambush, where to flash etc.

I can't kill more than 2 or 3 in one game, and no matter how much i jiggle about and jump i get shot in the head usually within the first 45 seconds. I've tried following better players, and even if they are in front of me i get shot first. Always. Period. "Stick Together, Team". Why, so i get shot again?

I've played now for about 100 hours. Should I still be s***? Or am i just too old - bad reflexes, eyesight, incontinence issues meaning i can't sit still?

Somebody help!

Jerry
Old 26 July 2005, 11:07 AM
nakedjem
Scooby Regular

And I've got a Lazer mouse, Saitek gaming keyboard, good card, 19 monitor balh di blah.

And what the hell is autosnipe and has everybody else got it on every weapon except for me?

Rant over, sit down, breath.
Old 26 July 2005, 12:00 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

100 hours is bugger all ! I've been playing since beta 5 ! You've got to remember that some players have been playing for years, and others are just kids who have nothing better to do than sit playing CS for the entire duration of the school holidays !

Autosnipe is the automatic sniper rifle which a majority of old-skool CS players seem to hate (never use them myself, AK and M4 all the way)

CS is all down to timing and knowing where the enemy will approach from. Since there are only a limited number of routes round each map just use process of elimination - if the enemy don't appear on the route you expected within the first 30 seconds of the round starting, chances are they've taken one of the other routes, or are coming round to 'back-door' your team.

Another vital aspect of CS is sound and the radar : keep your eye on the radar for friendlies. If you hear footsteps or gunshots and none of your own team is near, then the enemy is nearby. Wear headphones so you can tell which direction the sound is coming from, and learn to differentiate between the different weapon sounds. If you're playing CT and hear an AK, be on your toes. Similarly try and reduce the sound you make by walking if you think you're near the enemy. Watch your radar for friendlies disappearing, and learn to identify whereabouts on the map they in relation to their radar position.

You also have to learn that holding your finger on the trigger is not the best course of action. Bursts of 3 or 4 shots are the most accurate with an automatic weapon, this leaves rounds in the clip for when the next enemy comes up and you're not caught with your pants down reloading. If you run dry, whip the pistol out quick sharp and finish them off. The heavy weapons ie. rifles such as AK/M4, sniper weapons and machine gun can penetrate boxes & doors etc, so if you think an enemy is hiding behind a box, let rip into it.

Also remember that 90% of players on public servers do not have an inkling about teamwork and so you cannot rely on other people to cover your back. Other than, all I can suggest is keep practicing, and don't lose faith !
Old 26 July 2005, 12:24 PM
cfc2
Scooby Regular

started playin on loadin up hl2 started with tough name thought i was bad assed mf,!!! quickly found i wasn't, humiliated, depressed, ridiculed by my fellow players on several occasions (their a hard lot the css crew). I changed my name to useless......... plenty of practise later i still am..crap but have finished top of a list at the end of the game 12 times a feat im proud of and have added tomy name to remind me of my achievement i play religiously every day averaging 1 to 2 hours....any clanners i beat gives me an even bigger buzz, A top spec pc i find is the key changed mine recently and u move that little bit quicker react that little bit quicker and hence can kill a few more and hopefully die a little less.. good fraggin
Old 26 July 2005, 01:39 PM
nakedjem
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the support guys. I just have to keep trying i guess, and change my name to cannon fodder.

Is there anywhere in particular that people prefer to play, or is there a clan from scoobynet that anyone knows of.

Jerry
Old 26 July 2005, 02:33 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Best advice is always aim for the head or a mm above when using scout or from long distances with rifles

Also don't be predictable and if your getting killed straight away by same person or two going the same way change your route, also don't stay still for too long.

Flashes won't work if they land behind people

I know it's a bit lame but try playing on the winning team if you can, most maps favour either Ts or CTs unless better players make up 1 side. It's easier if you have lots of money for armour + a good weapon, AK + M4 are probably the best weapons if used in short bursts of 2 or 3 shots, if you have very little money the desert eagle pistol is very good although if your aims all over the place just stick to smgs & rifles trying not to spray (keeping your finger on tringer untill you run out of ammo) all the time.

I've seen Cannon Fodder a few times on pub servers

Last edited by cheddar bob; 26 July 2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 26 July 2005, 02:33 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

I play on Wireplay and Jolt publics and mostly they're a friendly bunch, although the Jolt 32 man server is a bit pants with far too many frag ****** and usually very unfair teams cos everyone joins the winning team.

Trending Topics

Old 26 July 2005, 04:14 PM
GaryScoobNCBR
Scooby Regular

Some good advice there from MJW.

The thing i see most people do wrong is shoot whilst jumping or still running. when you move your aim is drastically reduced.

I normally hit crouch and aim chest high the second i see em, that way i know i get the best aim and also got a good chance of a head shot.

Again i've been playing cs for years, so guess practice makes perfect.
Old 27 July 2005, 12:55 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

As previously mentioned try not to spray your bullets, only do this as a last resort when lots of enemies are close and you have no time to aim.

Your best bet is firing 4-4 bullets at a time. One of the major problems i had when 1st starting to play CS was i reloaded far to often. I used to reload afrer every person i killed even if i had more than 20 bullets in a clip. You can tell new players to the game as they tend to do exactly the same thing. If you kill someone and still have say half a clip or more left move for cover then reload. With half a clip you can still kill a couple of the enemy.

Also what kind of rates etc are you using. If you dont know about rates these are basically what controls how fast your computer comunicates with the server and other players. Doesnt seem like much but believe me this does make a difference.

Standard CS rates are crap and nobody really uses them. To change your rates open up notepad and paste the following.

rate "20000"
cl_rate "10000"
cl_cmdrate "50"
cl_updaterate "50"
cl_cmdbackup "2"

Then save the file as userconfig.cfg. Then paste the file here
C:\Steam\SteamApps\yourmail@domain.com\counter-strike source\cstrike\cfg

Then when ingame enter the console and type exec userconfig.cfg

To further increase the performance of your CS source, espechially for users with lower spec computers there are more variables you can change. This will make your game run smoother but will remove some of the detail.

As previously copy and paste the following into notepad and save it as userconfig.cfg

//Voice
voice_modenable "1"
voice_enable "1"

//Sound
volume "1.0"
snd_surround_speakers "1"

//Tweaks
developer "0"

//Rate Tweaks
rate "20000"
cl_rate "10000"
cl_cmdrate "50"
cl_updaterate "50"
cl_cmdbackup "2"

//In-Gaming Settings
cl_ragdoll_collide "1"
cl_allowupload "1"
cl_dynamiccrosshair "0"
cl_righthand "1"
cl_timeout "60"
cl_autowepswitch "1"

//FPS Tweaks
fps_max "200"
cl_smooth "0"
cl_interpolate "1"
cl_interp "0.1"
cl_c4dynamiclight "0"
cl_c4progressbar "1"
mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware "1"
mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware "0"

//Croshair & Mouse
crosshair "1.000000"
cl_crosshaircolor "0"
cl_dynamiccrosshair "0"
sensitivity "3.800000"
crosshair "1.000000"
hud_centerid "1"
hud_fastswitch "0"
m_filter "1"

//Misc
spec_menu "0"
con_enable "1"
cl_customsounds "0"
cl_showtextmsg "1"
cl_forcepreload "1"

Then paste the file here
C:\Steam\SteamApps\yourmail@domain.com\counter-strike source\cstrike\cfg

Once ingame enter exec userconfig.cfg into the console.

Before doing the above make a copy of the config.cfg file incase you wish to revert back to the settings you had before by pasting this file backinto the cfg folder. Another way of reversing any changes made is to delete the config file. Then next time you start the game a new one will be created using the standard configuarion but you will need to reformat yours keys etc.

Last edited by ScoobyDriverWannabe; 27 July 2005 at 01:01 AM.
Old 27 July 2005, 01:02 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

PS what servers do you play on and what names do you go by ?

I mainly play CZ but but may come and have a game with you seing as my clan is fairly inactive currently.
Old 27 July 2005, 03:59 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Cheers scoobydriver wannabe.

I've just started to play CSS with some mates. Definately going to change the rates.
Old 27 July 2005, 04:13 PM
King RA
BANNED

its ALL about the headshots if you want to be good. I probably average headshots on 70% of all kills. ALWAYS hold your mouse cursor at head height or slightly under, the amount of people running around with their cursors pointing at the floor is unbelievable. If you hold your cursor at head height and someone runs round a corner their head is already in your sights, just click 1 bullet and they are gone.

Crouching greatly improves your shooting, always try and be as still as possible when shooting. CS is an art and takes a VERY long time to get really good at, but then it is by far the most rewarding game I have EVER played for this exact reason.#

My player name is hashpuppy so if anyone sees me say hello
Old 27 July 2005, 04:39 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

I tried to change the rates, but the console doesnt like "cl_rate". says unknown command. is this for CS source?
Old 27 July 2005, 05:14 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Recaro
I tried to change the rates, but the console doesn’t like "cl_rate". Says unknown command. is this for CS source?
Your right that doesn’t work, that config was from soon after source was released, so maybe you cant change that now or it could just be a mistake with the config by the person who wrote it. The other ones are the main ones people change anyway so it doesn’t really matter.

I’m not sure I agree with some of stuff you mentioned king RA lol. Yes mastering headshots will get you allot of kills but this is quite hard to do especially for a beginner.

If you aim to high you will miss the person your shooting at completely. The reason why most people have their cross hairs low down is as your firing the recoil moves your cross hair upwards, theoretically towards the head. I tend to aim mid body, a couple of shots to the chest does as much damage as one to the head and is much easier to hit with the potential of the cross hairs moving up and you getting a head shot.

Standing still will firing does improve your aim and make it easier to shoot but this also makes it easy for people to shoot you. What I tend to do is run from side to side briefly stopping and crouching, firing a couple of shots then strafing to the side again.

Also on maps try and find your self good positions and routes etc. E.g. on CS maps stay with hostages as Terrorist and as CTs on DE maps guard the bomb sites. Hide behind boxes etc.

Finally remember the best CS player isn’t always the one who has the most kills. The ones who complete the objectives generally win the game.
Old 27 July 2005, 05:17 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100 hrs? OMG!! n00bz!

As KingRA says - for headshots, aim at the head!!

I play as either SJ_Skyline of Aggressive_Proctologist, usually on jolt or E-Frag McTavish and watch out - there are some VERY good players on scoobynet (not me I hasten to add!)

Quick tip for Hostage rescues: If one of team has rescued one or more hostages, kill all the remaining hostages and your team will win the round just be carefull you don't kill too many and get booted!

Last edited by SJ_Skyline; 27 July 2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 27 July 2005, 06:40 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Question

So you seasoned players have all changed your rates?

I'm not bad, usually finish top 3 positions of each game get good percentage hs's without ever using the awp/auto but still use standard rates/settings. Will I see and improvement changing my rates, also some servers say u can't play with modded rates and n00b question: does Valve/Steam class modding them as cheating or hacking?

I play as Zeus btw
Old 27 July 2005, 07:08 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

No valve/Steam does not consider change your rates as cheating.

But if you come to play in leagues and you use standard rates you will be accused of cheating. They usually define min rates that people must play with so most people do change them.

Not source its CZ and they not the best frags it was more of a exercise of working out how to make a CS video but heres a few clips of me in action.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=HMSSryhoper1

Last edited by ScoobyDriverWannabe; 27 July 2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old 27 July 2005, 07:53 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

anyone up for a game ? if you got xfire add me, name=ryhoper1
Old 27 July 2005, 08:23 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm around too

xfire name=puffthemagicwagon

Player name - BogRat

Another good place to go for SN members & general silliness is

www.counter-strike.org.uk

That is the home of :XSTi: clan, which is a CS ofshoot of SN

Old 28 July 2005, 11:15 AM
King RA
BANNED

that xfire thingy looks cool, never heard of it before.
Old 28 July 2005, 11:40 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found xfire a pig to use with no "off" option! Got in a rage and ended up removing the program.