Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Tell me all I need to know for using WiFi Hotspots please!

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2005, 11:33 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tell me all I need to know for using WiFi Hotspots please!

I'm new to this so what do I need to know in order to use WiFi Hotspots when I'm out and about on my travels? I've got a Wireless laptop which I'm using on a wireless network at home but I'm yet to venture outdoors with it

Cheers

Sal
Old 10 June 2005, 12:21 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

bottom right of the screen move mouse over the wireless network icon. Should be an option to view all networks, those in range should pop up
should be able to connect unless encrypted or mac filtered

and no using your neighbours connection either

Last edited by mike1210; 10 June 2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10 June 2005, 01:28 PM
ChrisB

As Mike says, you might find an unsecured connection you can borrow (in a big city you'll probably find no end of wireless networks).

Alternatively, there are a number of official systems like BT Openzone. You have to pay for access through this sort of thing.

ZD have a handy map showing the various networks and where they have hotspots.
Old 10 June 2005, 03:27 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick
I'm new to this so what do I need to know in order to use WiFi Hotspots when I'm out and about on my travels? I've got a Wireless laptop which I'm using on a wireless network at home but I'm yet to venture outdoors with it
1) In a public hotspot setting, things like WEP and WPA aren't used. Instead, the communication link is unencrypted, but you first "log on" to the connection via a web page (known as a "captive portal") created by the hotspot owner. Therefore, everyone authorised to connect to the network can theoretically see what you're doing unless you encrypt traffic (ie. you are using a secure web site or checking your email with SSL). So don't go entering passwords into web pages which aren't secure (like say the ScoobyNet log in page!) as your data can be sniffed out of the air.

2) Don't pay for WiFi when out and about. Get NetStumbler installed and take your laptop for a drive You'll be suprised at the amount of open networks you find.
Old 10 June 2005, 04:16 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps I've subscribed to BT Openzone and had a look at the handy map of hotspots. I've also had a look around to see if my neighbours have WiFi - they don't unfortunately That NetStumbler looks interesting...

Another question that I would like answered is how do I go about connecting to the t'interweb when I'm not in a hotspot? I've got a 3G phone with infrared so could use that with the lappy but have no idea how to go about it.
Old 10 June 2005, 04:30 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Try the phone manufacturers web site, they usually have free software you can download. If not try the 3G providers web site, they'll help you use it, it pay the bills.
Old 10 June 2005, 04:49 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I'm with Orange and had a look on their site but couldn't find much at all. I'll try Sony.

Jack do you know if I could use my existing McAfee subscription with my laptop and my home pc? I use it on the pc at the moment, the laptop came with Norton pre-installed so I'm using that for now.

Trending Topics

Old 10 June 2005, 05:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

You go ahead. Let me know how the products are working for you.