Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

250gb hardrive

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2005, 08:18 PM
gofasterstripes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 250gb hardrive

rite got this hardrive ages ago put in in my comp and fdisked it but it only reconised it as a 130gb. ok comp is old so i put it down to m/board being to old so i still went ahead with the format and left it at that. it sat in cupboard for months. m8 gave me his external hardrive caddy for nothing. so got hardrive out of the cupboard blew the dust of it and conected it all up to my laptop witch is a lot newer than my comp via usb port (not usb 2) so far so good. it reconised it no probs as a 130gb and it let me format it i thought it would c it as a 250gb but it just formated the 130gb on it. i cant seem to get it to fdisk it or need to find someway of it knowing its a 250gb plz help.oh its windows xp home edition im using.
Old 28 May 2005, 08:47 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

ahhhhh, i think you need xp with service pack 1 (or 2 would be better) slipstreamed onto it or it will always pick up a 130 gig hard drive

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/nLite/1087118197/1

that should make it easier

might need to re-build using the slipstreamed xp with sp1 or 2 on it

does your xp home edition have sp1 or 2 on it?

Last edited by mike1210; 28 May 2005 at 08:53 PM.
Old 28 May 2005, 09:04 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I think XP Home SP1 should be able to see more than 130Gb. You should be able to update from using the windows update service. A slipstreamed install CD is a nice bonus if you reinstall a lot, but not essential.

Another issue maybe the fact that it has already been previously formatted as 130Gb. You need to delete this partition so a new full size one can be created. There are all sorts of bits of software that can do this.

The cheapest one is the Disk Manager that is built into Win Xp. You need to activate the Admin Tools (right click on the start menu, and select admin tools to be shown as a menu item).

The click on start, admin, computer management. When in there select disk management. A nice pretty picture of your HDD should be available where you can delete the current partition, then make a new full size one.

Failing that, you RESIZE the current partition, keeping all the data that may be there already. I use something called Disk Director from Acronis. Brilliant piece of softare, but not free, although there may be a free trial period.
Old 29 May 2005, 01:41 AM
User 1421
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gofasterstripes
rite got this hardrive ages ago put in in my comp and fdisked it but it only reconised it as a 130gb. ok comp is old so i put it down to m/board being to old so i still went ahead with the format and left it at that. it sat in cupboard for months. m8 gave me his external hardrive caddy for nothing. so got hardrive out of the cupboard blew the dust of it and conected it all up to my laptop witch is a lot newer than my comp via usb port (not usb 2) so far so good. it reconised it no probs as a 130gb and it let me format it i thought it would c it as a 250gb but it just formated the 130gb on it. i cant seem to get it to fdisk it or need to find someway of it knowing its a 250gb plz help.oh its windows xp home edition im using.

sounds more like a bios issue this chaps. See if you can get a bios update for your mobo ....
Old 29 May 2005, 02:04 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

i remember when i re-build my machine with a sata hard drive, cos xp didnt have service pack 1 on it, it would only see it as a 130 gig hard drive. Got xp pro with service pack 1, all was sorted. Deleting this partition and doing a resize should do it, Soon as i saw this thread though it brought back memories.

Defo look into the bios if none of that works, still doesn't work? get a sledgehammer and smash it up. Pointless but satisfying

Last edited by mike1210; 29 May 2005 at 02:09 PM.