Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

new hardrive

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2006, 05:34 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new hardrive

is it possible to copy windows xp over to a new hardrive or do I need to re-install from scratch?
ken
Old 01 January 2006, 06:16 PM
Gareth Allan
Scooby Regular

very easy to do

go to the drives website, and do a search. you will find a utility there to do it, which is much easier than ghost or any others i have tried. (for this type of thing)

I just did this using western digitals program, called data lifeguard.

Put the new drive in as a slave, it copies all the files across, switch off, swap the drive to master, boot back up and away you go.

Gareth
Old 01 January 2006, 06:23 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Copying files can be done as Gareth mentions, but I'd install from scratch. A copy will just move over all the registry crap & format errors. Installing from scratch can take a day but it's worth it.
Old 01 January 2006, 09:38 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick
Copying files can be done as Gareth mentions, but I'd install from scratch. A copy will just move over all the registry crap & format errors. Installing from scratch can take a day but it's worth it.
Either will do. I would go for the copy first. Bare in mind that you may have to start service packing and installing all of those windows updates on again from scratch. Can be a bit of a pain if you don't have broadband. SP2 for win XP is around 300MB just to download.
Old 02 January 2006, 10:53 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Either will do. I would go for the copy first. Bare in mind that you may have to start service packing and installing all of those windows updates on again from scratch. Can be a bit of a pain if you don't have broadband. SP2 for win XP is around 300MB just to download.
thats why I was hoping to copy across to save having to put all the updates back on. thanks for the help
ken