Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Domain Name E mail intrusion

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2005, 11:51 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Domain Name E mail intrusion

I own a Domain name. any mail sent to xxx@domainname is sent to me where xxx is anyword.
I have been receiving e mails sent to people at my domain name who i do not know.
This has been going on for some time. Am I to take it these e mails are not received by the recipient? or does it mean that they and I are receiving the same mail?
I have e mailed the senders but no reply received and still they send e mails to the same recipients.
Is it possible that these recipients are getting these mails somehow?
The mails are not spam and are quite personal and involve many different addresses at my domain.
Anybody know what is going on? or is it just simply that these are old addresses from the previous domain owner and that only i am receiving these mails?
Old 28 May 2005, 03:45 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you say at the end, these will be old addresses from the previous owner. Only you will be receiving them.

I've been in a similar position. With (what was then) Freeserve you choose a domain name so that your email address is xxx@mydomain.fresserve.co.uk. This allows unlimited email addresses. When I chose my domain name I started getting emails to andrew@mydomain.freeserve.co.uk. At first, I used Mailwasher to bounce emails to andrew@.... with a "Not known at this address" message. I've now set up a rule in Outlook to delete anything to andrew@... from the server without downloading it.
Old 28 May 2005, 03:49 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Cheers, thats what i was thinking, but after i e mailed the sender and he kept on doing it, i got a bit confused and wondered if there was some way around it. I mean this is 6 months on, has nobody told him that the bloke he is e mailing is not getting the mails?
Its not possible that the recipient had the domain before and his e mail forwarding is still working? by some chance?
The whole thing is too strange.
Old 29 May 2005, 02:28 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

As I understand it, the email will only be delivered to one address. Forwarding would only work if the (old) domain owner still owned the old domain.

For instance, if they had changed from xxx@mydomain.com to xxx@mynewdomain.com and wanted everyone to use the new address. They'd still need to own mydomain.com to have forwarding working.

I think that the fact that you are receiving the emails means that the intended recipient isn't.
Old 29 May 2005, 03:47 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

...and the fact that you have replied to these e-mails (albeit with good intent) means that spammers have confirmed that you are a valid target

At least you will know which addresses to filter or ignore!

mb
Old 29 May 2005, 09:12 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Boomer
This definitely was not spam mail. It was of a personal nature and sent from a known organisation.
If it continues I will set up a rule to divert those e mails back to the sender.
Many Thanks for your interest.
Old 31 May 2005, 11:48 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

send it back to their IT desk, it'll soon stop