Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ADSL Router / Modem problem - confused ???

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2005, 04:13 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADSL Router / Modem problem - confused ???

Just changed my router for the new netgear 834GT, and am experiencing a couple of problems.

Firstly, wireless is patchy at best- the laptops will connect to it, but keep dropping the connection every ten minutes or so. Wierd.

Secondly, and perhaps more wierd, whenever I turn my PC off the router drops the ADSL connection. The pc is the only thing on the network that is actually wired to the router / modem, via cat5.

Any ideas? I'm as confused as hell as I can't see why its happening.

Thanks,
Simon.
Old 20 May 2005, 02:58 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I had this problem with the dropouts on a Netgeat router/modem- it was something to do with having it set up to allow wireless PC's access to configure it. something zeroing or similar name - I'm am sure one of the buffs can enlighten us
Old 20 May 2005, 06:14 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, get the latest firmware (1.01.05 beta IIRC). Second, try moving the router somewhere else - it is very prone to intereference. Keep it at least six feet away from any computers or cordless phones. I found mine worked best high up. Try changing the direction of the aerial on the router and on the laptops.

M
Old 20 May 2005, 09:34 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Ok, will try all that. I've just updated the router- had an older netgear and wish I'd stuck with it. It seems a little more stable since I biined the beta firmware and went back to the last open release. Will try everything suggested above....
Old 23 May 2005, 12:02 AM
mclannahan
Scooby Newbie

Evening - I think you'll find you have "dial on demand" enabled in the router settings. Along with the setting "timeout disconnect" (or similar wording)

Basically - If your PC goes off and the Internet isn't used for "x" amount of minutes it disconnects your connection.

It's a common setting used in USA as they often have "payg broadband". The longer you're online the more you pay. Not really used here much in the uk.

Go into your router. Select Internet Settings (or similar) Look for "Dial on demand" - untick or disable. Then look for timeout disconnection (or similar) set to a very high value (99999 minutes) or 0 to disable.

Hope this helps chap!

Michael

Originally Posted by RRH
Ok, will try all that. I've just updated the router- had an older netgear and wish I'd stuck with it. It seems a little more stable since I biined the beta firmware and went back to the last open release. Will try everything suggested above....
Old 23 May 2005, 07:04 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

If your WiFi connection keeps dropping, try changing the channel. Channels 1, 6 and 13 are the main distinct frequencies IIRC.