Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which AVI Editor - Splicing files, speeding up, etc

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2005, 12:19 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which AVI Editor - Splicing files, speeding up, etc

Hi All

I have to give a presentation which includes AVI videos of components being loaded to failure. I'd like to speed up the play rate for the boring bits but slow down again for the interesting bits - a la holding the ffwd button until the relevent moment then slow-mo (or real time would do) for the interesting second or two then ffwd again until the next interesting bit. I'm hoping this would also reduce the file sizes a fair bit by shortening the play length - I don't really want to degrade the picture quality.

Can anyone recommend some software to do this with? Preferably freeware/free trial as I'll only need it once!

Cheers,

Ben
Old 19 May 2005, 12:21 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyster
Hi All

I have to give a presentation which includes AVI videos of components being loaded to failure. I'd like to speed up the play rate for the boring bits but slow down again for the interesting bits - a la holding the ffwd button until the relevent moment then slow-mo (or real time would do) for the interesting second or two then ffwd again until the next interesting bit. I'm hoping this would also reduce the file sizes a fair bit by shortening the play length - I don't really want to degrade the picture quality.

Can anyone recommend some software to do this with? Preferably freeware/free trial as I'll only need it once!

Cheers,

Ben
Have a look here www.videohelp.com has good tutorials on this sort of thing as well as what software you can download to achieve it.
Old 19 May 2005, 08:06 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

If you have Windows XP then use Windows Movie Maker. It's very cheap as it comes free with Windows.
Old 19 May 2005, 08:51 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. Does Win Movie Maker let you alter the speed though? I can't find how to do this, just splicing of files etc.
Old 19 May 2005, 09:01 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Speed up and slow down, I don't have it in front of me but do know that if you want to speed it up more just keep adding the speed up effect, the more times you add it the more it speeds up.
Old 19 May 2005, 09:36 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Aha - found it! Bit early in the morning for a student
Cheers.