Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac OS X, AFP and Active Directory

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2005, 07:34 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac OS X, AFP and Active Directory

Afternoon,
Ok, lets see how clever you lot really are

First up, some background details.

Two people have Windows 2003 servers, configured to use Active Directory. Both have Macs accessing the servers. One has ExtremeZ-IP on the server, the other has an OS X sever acting as a member server to their DC.

They also run a certain Mac Network Administration product

They are both getting a specific problem that I cannot reproduce.

I think the issue may be related to the uid that is being returned to the OS. Essentiall there is an option ins the Mac Network Admin product that can use the uid supplied by the AFP server. Obviously very handy as you'd want to maintain a users uid regardless of where they login.
Thus when you issue 'id' in Terminal, the id reported back is that which is gained from the AFP server/AD.

Now, the interesting thing here is that the IDs they get reported in terminal are something like: 4294940648

hmm, not what I'd usually expect, plus not what I'm seeing. I'm seeing ID's in the 11xx range, which is what one would usually expect.

So, what's the question?

How can I find out, from the 2003 server, what uid is actually assinged to the user. I'm guessing the AD uid is going to be different from what AFP returns to the client, even though, IMHO I think it about be the same thing.

Also, anyone know of a command in terminal to find out the UID of the user that you're logged into (as in AFP connection) to a server as?