Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which DVD creation software

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2005, 01:04 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which DVD creation software

I've got loads of holiday tapes on my DV camcorder and now I need to make some DVD's, I have got a load of scence's which I don't want and need to trim these out.

Problem is that I'm poor with advanced programmes, I end up fustrated after about 10 mintutes.

I've tried the Sony Vegas Move Studi and Adobe Premier software and these are far too complicated for my use.

Any suggestions? I don't want to add anything facny, just want to clip out bits I don't want.
Old 09 May 2005, 01:14 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Adobe Premiere is easy to use - once you know the basics, and from what it sounds like, this is all you need. When I first saw it I didn't have a clue how to use it, and it all looked very confusing.

Do a Google search or similar on Basics of Adobe Premiere. I did this for the basics of Adobe's Encore package and it pulled up a 30 minute basic step by step video guide to creating a DVD using this package. I'm sure there is one available for Premiere as well.
Old 09 May 2005, 01:19 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott W
Adobe Premiere is easy to use - once you know the basics, and from what it sounds like, this is all you need. When I first saw it I didn't have a clue how to use it, and it all looked very confusing.

Do a Google search or similar on Basics of Adobe Premiere. I did this for the basics of Adobe's Encore package and it pulled up a 30 minute basic step by step video guide to creating a DVD using this package. I'm sure there is one available for Premiere as well.

Scott,

Thanks but I really don;t want to use a time line, I don;t have the time to messa around as I have 20 hours of takes to go through. Adobe struggled to even capture a tape of 60 minutes so I abandoned, at least the Vegas software managed to do this without stuttering.

I may look at the Ulead DVD movie factory. I used want to create a few simple menu screens and trim off unwanted footage, I really don't want to go into effects and transitions.

any other suggestions.
Old 09 May 2005, 01:22 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Buy a Mac...

Then wonder how you got by without it
Old 09 May 2005, 01:24 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
Thanks for the valuable input... go have sex with your Mac ;-)
Old 09 May 2005, 01:51 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cyberevo
Thanks for the valuable input... go have sex with your Mac ;-)
Will do, whilst I am doing that you can spend hours going through programme after programme figuring out how to do something that would take me about 30 seconds to set up.

Ta
Old 09 May 2005, 02:15 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

If you want something simple, try NeroVision Express.
Old 09 May 2005, 02:47 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
If you want something simple, try NeroVision Express.
do you have a link where I can download a free demo version, tried their web site but can't find it.
Old 09 May 2005, 04:32 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

do you have a link where I can download a free demo version, tried their web site but can't find it.
http://www.nerodigital.com/eng/download.php
Old 09 May 2005, 04:52 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Scott,

Thanks but I really don;t want to use a time line, I don;t have the time to messa around as I have 20 hours of takes to go through. Adobe struggled to even capture a tape of 60 minutes so I abandoned, at least the Vegas software managed to do this without stuttering.
Strange. I use Premiere Pro 1.5, and can easily edit several hours of footage in one go with no stuttering etc. You don't say what spec pc you are using though? This will make a big difference...

Note that premiere by itself does not create dvds, (just edits video). You need an additional dvd creation program to create the discs. Luckily, I've got the full video suite of programs (premiere, encore, after effects etc), and they do the job very nicely indeed.

If you are on a somewhat smaller budget, or your pc isn't up to the job of running premiere, then I'd probably recommend the Ulead stuff (videoStudio and movie factory). Seems reasonably good for simple stuff, and the price is cheap enough.

Steer well clear of the Pinnacle software though. It's got so many bugs that they need an exterminator, and their tech support is dire (I speak from personal experience as an ex customer ).
Old 09 May 2005, 04:53 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Will do, whilst I am doing that you can spend hours going through programme after programme figuring out how to do something that would take me about 30 seconds to set up.

Ta
p.s. angrynorth, I can do the same within 30 seconds on my pc as well. So there
Old 09 May 2005, 04:56 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
p.s. angrynorth, I can do the same within 30 seconds on my pc as well. So there

I know you can Iain, I was merely responding to the childish reply I received originally.

(PS even you know its easier with iMovie/iDVD on a Mac )
Old 09 May 2005, 04:58 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I'd never admit it, even if I thought you were right
Old 09 May 2005, 05:01 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I'd never admit it, even if I thought you were right
You are almost there now, what with your iPod n all Just one step away from a so called Halo Effect switcher.
Old 09 May 2005, 05:07 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Luckily I think a certain thing called money (or rather the lack of) will stop me turning to the dark side
Old 09 May 2005, 05:43 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

I know you can Iain, I was merely responding to the childish reply I received originally.

(PS even you know its easier with iMovie/iDVD on a Mac )
Listen dickwad, my reply wasn't childish, it was just somewhat funny, your reply was pathetic!
Old 09 May 2005, 05:47 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NickAdams
The site doesn't seem to be working?
Old 09 May 2005, 05:49 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

NVE comes as part of Nero 6 Reloaded . . . .

http://www.nero.com/eng/NeroVision_Express_3.html
Old 09 May 2005, 05:57 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
NVE comes as part of Nero 6 Reloaded . . . .

http://www.nero.com/eng/NeroVision_Express_3.html
I managed to find a download off their official web site, it downlaoded and installed ok, when it got to the register screen it came up with 'demo licence expired' fat lot of good that was....

I think you can get it seperatly too. But I want to try it out before I commit to the expense.
Old 09 May 2005, 06:18 PM
Rally
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham during week, Leeds at Weekends and 5ive-o.org at night

I have had lots of problems doing DV to DVD.
Easiest solution I found was to find someone with a standalone DVD recorder and using DV connector just burn straight to DVD on whatever quality setting you need.
The burner I used was a Lite-On and only cost £120 from Dixons several months ago.
Old 09 May 2005, 06:28 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Listen dickwad!
No, not childish at all .

Grow up.
Old 09 May 2005, 06:49 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

No, not childish at all .

Grow up.
sorry I don;t have smiles activated so you were unable to see the smily face...

However you are a prat for your silly recommendation, so my original comment still stands ;-)
Old 09 May 2005, 06:58 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Windows Movie Maker, you've already paid for it no doubt. Two mouse buttons means it's easier and quicker to use than iMovie
Old 09 May 2005, 07:01 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Prat or not, why is it a silly recommendation? Part of my job is video editing and DVD authoring, and I can tell you that at the moment there is no better platform or software than the Mac to do this on. OK it may mean new hardware but it was still a viable alternative solution and would solve your problem in one easy stroke as iMovie & iDVD are included free. They are also very, very good pieces of software. Especially now there is a HD version which also supports 14:9 widescreen.

In the PC world though, if you want to keep things simple I would go down the Ulead route. Yes I have used this on my PC and yes it is easy.

But hey, its up to you if you want to take good advice or not. I still think your initial reply of "go have sex with your Mac" was a bit strange.
Old 09 May 2005, 09:08 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Prat or not, why is it a silly recommendation? Part of my job is video editing and DVD authoring, and I can tell you that at the moment there is no better platform or software than the Mac to do this on. OK it may mean new hardware but it was still a viable alternative solution and would solve your problem in one easy stroke as iMovie & iDVD are included free. They are also very, very good pieces of software. Especially now there is a HD version which also supports 14:9 widescreen.

In the PC world though, if you want to keep things simple I would go down the Ulead route. Yes I have used this on my PC and yes it is easy.

But hey, its up to you if you want to take good advice or not. I still think your initial reply of "go have sex with your Mac" was a bit strange.
I tell you why it way a silly recommendation, if you read my actually post, I was after an easy to use application, not a whole new OS to get used to, secondly, the screen shot that you posted up had an application with a timeline, agin if you read my original post then you would have noticed that the two apps that I did not get on with both had timelines, yet instead of answering my post with viable options which would actually help me you posted a reply based on what you use and what is right for YOU, I am not doubting the power of the mac, nor am I doubting the strenght of the app you use.

What one man finds wasy the other may find difficult. I am not a computer novice and know my way around all OS's and I am an ex techice in my field of work, however being creative with a timeline is way beyond my desire at this present moment in time.

The short of this message is - respond to post by reading the post and not by what your own thoughts / views are based ona totally baised opinion.
Old 09 May 2005, 09:37 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

iMovie offers a no timeline editing mode, hence the reason I suggested it. Seeing as how you can read my mind and motives so well I thought you would know this.

My biased opinion is based on over 5 years editing and compositing motion graphics for use on the web and on DVD/VCD on PC based Avid, Sony Vegas, Premier, Linux based Shake Machines, and of course FCP Apple along with showing my mum how to edit DV in iMovie. But hey, what would I know?

I think you may be over reacting a bit here, but horses for courses and all that.

Last edited by angrynorth; 09 May 2005 at 09:43 PM.