Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PC security

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2005, 11:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PC security

My PC is again a seething mass of spyware, adware and Virus.

I am using Zonealarm (the free one), Spybot Search and Destroy periodically and AVG Pro (just upgraded) but the bloody thing is still picking up crap.

Anyone got any pointers as to what the best way of avoiding getting this **** appearing is. How does it get on there, bloody toolbars I didnt ask for, the Task Manager stopped working, it then slows down until I clear it all up, what I need is a way of stopping it getting on there in the first place !

Edited to say

Just spotted the sticky security thread, will try in there.

Last edited by J4CKO; 25 April 2005 at 11:15 PM.
Old 26 April 2005, 01:16 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

McAfee Security Suite mate, works for me anyway.

Keeps out all the crap, spam, and other junk etc.

I think it`s around £25 from most outlets.
Old 26 April 2005, 09:16 AM
HOUSEQUAKE
Scooby Regular

In our job as IT Techies, we buy in, build, install and support PC's for our mid sized company.

Aside from anti-virus, we also now build into our images: spywareblaster, spywareguard and spybot search and destroy. These are all free to download and upgrade and have won various awards.

The Microsoft spyware tool is in beta at the minute and we are testing it out but for now, the three apps above should cover you. Note that you must keep your OS up to date as well.

You can find the apps here: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/products.html Spywareblaster & spywareguard

http://www.security.kolla.de Spybot search & destroy
Old 26 April 2005, 11:55 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Use the Firefox browser aswell

I've found MS Anti Spyware to be very effective - picking up things missed by Adaware / spyware blaster etc. For a free app it is very good.

To be absolutely sure you are free of viruses etc, I would be tempted to back up your data and wipe the machine. Do a complete clean install and put on the security packages first. Try Avast, as opposed to AVG. Also free and far more effective.
Old 26 April 2005, 12:01 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I've recently removed the MS Anti spyware - it never picked anything up but adaware & spybot did.

Now running F-Secure Internet Security 2005 which seems pretty good but is just as bad at resource hogging as McAfee & (the devils own) Norton. On the plus side it does tell you when a program wants to connect to the net so you say "oh no you don't" which is good - Word wants to connect everytime I run it...